Teryx HQ banner

Are Dune Star tires really that bad?

6K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  atv4fun 
#1 ·
I will be going to Pismo for the first time next month with the Teryx. I have never ran in the sand before. I have Dragonfire long travel with a stock motor. Will the Dune Star rear tires work good enough? I am not going to be drag racing, just cruising around. Can I get away with running stock fronts with Dune Star rear tires? I can get the ITP'S easier than other brands, that's why I am asking. Any input will be helpful.

#4 ·
I've never been to Pismo but I have been to Yuma Dunes area and the first time I had stock tires aired down, the worked great. Then I tried dune stars and stock front tires on the next trip and they worked much better. You will do fine either way if your not trying to be King of the Hill:D

#5 ·
The first time I took mine to pismo I ran stock tires with the air down, it was fun but there were a few times I had to use 4x4 to get out of holes along the fence line, and had to keep up speed on all the longer hills, then I bought sand stars ( rear ) and ( dune stars ) on front, it took a little while to get use to ( no more pitching the rear around easy ) but now I can play on the hills and jump them better. Only poped one of the rears off the bead once and it went back on easy. If you are going memorial maybe I'll see you out there. ( all my friends are on bikes, quads, jeeps, and rails ) I'm the only teryx so far.

#8 ·
if you are just going for one trip, im with junkie... just air down your stock tires...you will not have a problem at all. i ran my stockers at 4-5 psi for a season before i bought my paddles. they will get you to where you need to go

#10 ·
Just to add a little to the others We run ours with the stock tires/wheels aired down and then "flipped" them. Put the left on the right side and right on the left side, mounteded so they are going oppisite of the direction on travel arrow on the tires. Works good and gives you a little more traction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.