Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still searching for some viable fuel gauge options. Gauges of course are not the problem, it is the sending units.

Has any installed a fuel gauge in their Teryx and if so, what gauges and sending units did you use?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I read somewhere that someone used the Rhino sending unit....but can't remember where I read that. I too will be wanting that.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I made my wife be the fuel gauge that way when I run out I get to yell at her lol. Actually I would love to have a gauge also hopefully the aftermarket is listening.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
180 Posts
The gauge that neverenough and Zr uses seems to drown out the LOUD exhaust going up or down steep hills and then for the rest of the trip after the first mudhole.

Ok, this might be far fetched, but how bout a float system like some lawnmowers or older street bikes use.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The gauge that neverenough and Zr uses seems to drown out the LOUD exhaust going up or down steep hills and then for the rest of the trip after the first mudhole.
Not sure I am following what you are saying. What gauge are you speaking of that drowns out the LOUD exhaust?

Ok, this might be far fetched, but how bout a float system like some lawnmowers or older street bikes use.
The sloshing of the fuel would likely not give the best reading...atleast this is what I have been reading.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Notenough and the other guy said they used their wives to watch the fuel gauge on that side, but was noisy and not too predictable.

Float gas gauge would work when you are sitting still taking a break, but agree that the slosh factor would not be good while riding along.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The more I read it the funnier it got. If my wife reads it it will not be funny any longer. I want diesel to try out my gauge and see how it works on his teryx.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok now I feel stupid...I did not put the two comments together ;)

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Excellent...hey if you get a chance, could you shoot a picture of the gauge installation.

How was the installation of the sending unit?

Looks like Black Rhino is going to send us their kit, so I will be sure to let everyone know how that goes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
im not lucky enough to get people to send me free parts so i did some research and found every thing thats in the black rhino kit alot cheeper. everything is the same more or less. I had to trim the sending unit 1.5" but that was not a problem . I used a step drill bit and i would say that worked better than a hole saw to punch the 1" hole in the tank. and i recomend using 1.25" long screws not 1" that are recomended. I had 1 screw that did not hold that well with the shorter screws. its a simple install just follow the directions.

Attachments

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks good, were you able to find a decent mounting location for the gauge itself, you know there are limited flat areas on the dash, or atleast is seems that way. Where on the dash did you mount your gauge? I am thinking just to the right of the steering column. Is that the autometer sending unit that is on the autometer site?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just finished the mold for a center console and hopefuly I will finish it this weekend. that will be the permanet mount for all my gauges and switches. I have it mounted in a gauge cup untill I am 100% happy with the console. here are some pics of the plug and mold for the console.

Attachments

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh very cool, I will definately be interested in seeing the final product!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Center console

I like your console. I had the same idea because I needed to mount my stereo in a hurry before a desert trip and i didn't have the time to do it right . ( Story of my life, temporary always becomes permanent). I didn't want to rush it and cut holes in the dash for speakers , so I made a very cheap console myself. It's pretty much is the same shape as yours. The stereo unit mounts at the top and the 6 inch speakers are mounted on the sides. Don't laugh i made it out of a black plastic office trash can from staples mounted upside down. I cut it so it fit over the center hump like yours, I velcro'd it at the bottom to the hump on the floor and wedged rollbar foam in the 2 inch space at the top. It never moves and I can remove the power wire and the whole stereo comes out speakers and all in 1 minute. Someone should make a real one with cup holders on the front. I'll probably leave it the way it is. It never fails to make my friends laugh when they realize what i made it out of. It actually works too. It took 1 hour to do, if I spent 2 hours it could have been better, but that's how I do things. I'll leave it this way until someone makes a real console that does the same thing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Center console

If you made a slot for a stereo with an area for speakers on the side with cupholders on the front I'd buy one today. Its a great idea.

·
Registered
722 Posts
That is a nice looking start to a console can't wait to see it finished. If you don't mind me asking how much do you think you have total in the gas gauge set up? And if you still have all the packaging maybe you could do a parts list for the rest of us. Yours look like it should work great.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts