Teryx HQ banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been reading a lot about these muzzy singles. my buddy got the barker duals on his teryx [ they sound awesome]and was wondering if anyone else has gone from the muzzy to the barker setup and if there is a hp or seat of the pants difference between the two.or if there was anyone with a dyno sheet with the difference of the two. i know all dynos are different and just a tuning tool but if they were done on the same machine and the same day it would be good to know what to the difference is. i would think the duals would have better flow for the 840 kit which is what im planning on doing.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Muzzy is a 2 into 1 (cross pipe) into 2 system. Sometimes single exhaust makes more power than duals. Todd at Hunerworks is going to test a few pipes for the Teryx. Not sure if the Barker is on his list.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Doug S, I don't believe Todd has the Barker on his list for the comparo, but I imagine he'll chime in & let you know for sure. I know many of us are waiting for his test results.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Not in an attempt to bad mouth anyone, however, in my opinion when it comes to exhausts for Kawasakis, Muzzys knows their stuff. I am sure during development they researched all sorts of different ways to design their exhaust, and well...this is what they came up with. The look and sound in my opinion cannot be beat. I would, however, be interested in seeing some comparison testing!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Todd, I truly hope you change your mind about not checking sound levels. It may not be an issue where you are but out west we see closures ALL the time due to noise problems.

I know you mentioned you did not have the equipment, but all you need is a Radio Shack DB meter, a way to measure RPM, and 20" string to hold the meter at a 45degree angle to the side of the pipe outlet. If you want, I'll even offer to pay for the meter, including postage, if you return it to me after the test! How can you beat THAT?

What say you, Todd? :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I too would be curious to know the sound level or hear some good clips. Howeve, the reality of sound meters is that it's only really useful for 'relative' numbers. ie. you've got to compare everything under the same circumstances sort of like dyno's. It's hard to have really good repeatability. You would be surprised how much the environment of a sound test can effect the measured level; although, if you are testing each one in the same spot etc, you can get some reasonable data.

Also, the pitch is probably going to be a big factor in how far the sound carries. All of that is hard to gather from a sound meter. I would still prefer some good sound clips. I suspect that the bottom line is like almost all of these pipes including those on the dirtbikes... there is loud and there is super loud. In any case, it'll be loud for neighbors.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Jaybo,

How much is one of those meters?

Here is a $50 Radio Shack meter one, They don't seem to carry their older one, although the price difference is only $10 from the old one:

Radio Shack DB Meter

It would give you a baseline, although better ones run about $140 and up take a look here at a few other meters with a variety of prices.

National Safety Products

I'm in for the RS meter if you want to take me up on my offer, I meant it!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I too would be curious to know the sound level or hear some good clips. Howeve, the reality of sound meters is that it's only really useful for 'relative' numbers. ie. you've got to compare everything under the same circumstances sort of like dyno's. It's hard to have really good repeatability. You would be surprised how much the environment of a sound test can effect the measured level; although, if you are testing each one in the same spot etc, you can get some reasonable data.

Also, the pitch is probably going to be a big factor in how far the sound carries. All of that is hard to gather from a sound meter. I would still prefer some good sound clips. I suspect that the bottom line is like almost all of these pipes including those on the dirtbikes... there is loud and there is super loud. In any case, it'll be loud for neighbors.
the issue here is the USFS and BLM have a standard for sound tests. xxdb on a db meter held 20" away at a 45 degree angle from the muffler at a specific RPM depending on engine size.

These agencies test in the field @ riding areas. I know all of the arguments and have used them regarding WHERE they test. They say to tell it to the judge. Anyway, It would give a baseline number and get an idea if the silencer will pass or be close to the limits set at specific ride areas.

If Todd Tests outdoors on dirt away from buildings/concrete he should get an honest usable number. That's all I am asking for, and something I feel strongly on when testing pipes. Personally I feel they should have to state db ratings at in the ads so you know what you are buying. I am SICK of seeing more an more land closed becuase of loud OHV's.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Jaybo, You make a lot of sense on this issue. I.m going to use my Teryx for hunting (Wisconsin & Montana) plus riding on my pond out back this winter. So, I'm concerned about sound level of Muzzy & others. I'll probably leave stock or just add a tip for this reason. Also, on a side note, I didn't realize areas were being closed because of noise....I thought it was because of erosion & other terrain damage. Makes sense that noise complaints would have the same results.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Todd, I truly hope you change your mind about not checking sound levels. It may not be an issue where you are but out west we see closures ALL the time due to noise problems.

I know you mentioned you did not have the equipment, but all you need is a Radio Shack DB meter, a way to measure RPM, and 20" string to hold the meter at a 45degree angle to the side of the pipe outlet. If you want, I'll even offer to pay for the meter, including postage, if you return it to me after the test! How can you beat THAT?

What say you, Todd? :)
I second that for sure!

Loud exhaust on a UTV is just lame. A lot of these exhaust manufacturers just go for HP, but they forget that UTVs are different that ATVs. On an ATV, I am not trying to talk to a passenger. And I have a helmet on that muffles some of the sound.

Sound output is VERY important!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts