Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to the forum so take it easy on me on this apparent overly discussed question. I just need a straight forward answer. I have just purchased a silver 2009 teryx with a jstrong top. It has 4 55watt fog lights and a 200watt stereo with 4 speakers. I am also running a 4500lb wench. I rode it for the first time this weekend and it died on me twice. So I am now installing a optima yellow top in place of the crap factory one. I am one that really likes to jam and hardly ever turn my radio off and I go through really slow paced trails.Also, my group does a lot hanging out(silver bullets) that I play music for entertaining. I also love running my fog lights at night all the time when driving. I just need to know if this is conversion to the optima will do the trick and if I can expand. I want to add the hid headlight kit, sub and amp and some police lights. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
The 08 Teryx stator is 290 watts (not sure if it was increased for FI in 09). It takes 100+ watts to run this UTE. You have under 200 watts to play with. Put in a second battery for most of the accessories with an isolator. Then you won't be stranded if its seperated with an isolator. You can buy a bigger stator (eg RMstator) for about 25% increase. If you don't see lots of water (ie duner) you can add an alternator.

Also Feb 09 Side by Side Action has a good article on Side by Side electrical systems and batteries.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Best thing is upgrade the battery and then flow charge it when you get back to camp... I am not a big fan of the alt kit under my seat... But its the only option out there for now. The other suggestion would be dual batt kit but you will still need to top it off.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was planning just doing a low 1.5 to 2 amp charge inbetween rides.....I figure the stator can keep up with just the radio and battery during day.... but at night I am depending on the battery more....wish I knew how long the battery would last a night.... my guess is 5 or 6 hours.... depending on how much i use my lights and wench probably less than that. ????

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4 55watt halogen (what came with top). Thinking about switching to 35watt hids or some led light bars...

·
Registered
780 Posts
so i too have been surfing around with this idea. I have some 55w halogens (4x) that i really will rarely ever run and then only 2 at a time. but i do have a decent size amp to run although not gonna blast it all the time either. I am torn between the optima red top and the yellow and need some convincing one way or the other.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Your lights or what ever should be getting its' power from the stator not the battery. A batteries job is to be able to sustain short burst of high amperage.

If you are drawing down or off the battery then the charging system is not big enough.

A big battery just soaks up amperage. Once charged it will last longer though.

·
Registered
780 Posts
......... the charging system is not big enough.
so again i ask, what is the remedy for that? I have yet to see or hear of anything other than a big battery that you charge in between runs. but believe me, i dont want to add a big 50lb battery to my ride.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Not much of a remedy. If you know you are drawing more than your putting out then use a second battery on a isolator and charge both batteries at home realizing the second battery will die at some point but you will still be able to crank up and drive home.
Agree... No matter what you do for now you will have to flow charge it after a long discharge.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
The next thing is figuring out how to wire the isolator, most get it wrong.

You have to find the charge wire off the rectifier and cut it into routing it to your isolator then a wire from each battery connection on the isolator to the positive side of battery.

You will also have to tape off the part of the wire you cut and not using as it will be back feed with 12v.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been reading up on this a little bit and think that the boat people have a good idea. Here is the thread I've been going through Battery Isolator - or isolating switches - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

You are going to loose voltage with an isolator. Just manually switch them yourself. I've also been talking with RMStator and they are currently testing a 500 Watt stator upgrade for the Teryx. I read the side X side magazine article on this and hope they are wrong that there is no way to get this much output from the stator. RMStator will make a fortune if they are able to pull off 500 watts for us.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yellow top

I installed a yellow top last week and went riding this weekend. I was gone out on the trail "mudding" slow rolling and stopping alot (big group). I rode for 8 hours that night. I also rode all day the next day and well into the night until 6am the next morning. The battery never once gave out. Now, I did baby it when sitting still. I would kill my headlights until we stared moving again. Used my wench 5 or 6 times and jammed my stereo. I also purchased a volt meter that you can plug in to a cigarette lighter (about $10 at walmart) to keep on eye on things. At idle with just the radio it would stay around 14.1 to 13.7 and when on the trails mudding with lights and radio it would stay around 13.6 to 13.00. I am not sure on how much I trust this cheap volt meter. Was just cheap insurance not to get left stranded again.

I am now real curious about this new stator. 500watts is alot but would be awsome. That would run everything you would need. I wander how much and if I can get it done before Mud Nats.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts