Teryx HQ banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as we are all aware, the placement of an additional battery in the Teryx seems to be an issue. Looking under the drivers seat where the existing battery is, it does appear that it was not the best use of space. I wonder if someone could fab up a tray to either have an additional battery placed in there, or utilize a full size Optima for example.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Diesel give Ian at call at rpm he is supposed to be working on this for us. I think he is putting a Optima under the seat. You know you want to stop by anyways so get us an update.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Diesel give Ian at call at rpm he is supposed to be working on this for us. I think he is putting a Optima under the seat. You know you want to stop by anyways so get us an update.
Yes I will be speaking with Ian on some other things as well, but this is something that is planned. I just was not sure if anyone had rearranged the battery area under the drivers seat yet.

I will see if I can make it over there today for you :)

I put a dual battery set up in the dash here are some pics.
Now that is pretty creative! Looks great bifflefan!

Can I assume that in order to get to them you need to remove the hood?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yea you have to remove the hood to get to the batteries but I put a conector under the seat so if I need to jump start it I dont need to take everything apart. Plus I have a switch that will link battery 2 back into the main electrical system. So if battery 1 goes bad I can start and run off battery 2. So basicly as long as the stator dosent take a crap I should be ok.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like you really put some through into it.

Now do you run all your accessories from one battery and then just the standard lights, starter, etc from the other?

Also, did you install an isolator so that any accessories running off the second battery cannot drain the main?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Battery one is conected to the stock electrical system. Battery 2 runs all the extra stuff I installed. I used a smart relay to seporate the batterys. It only alows battery 2 to charge when battery one has 13.2 volts and when it falls below that it cuts the charge to battery 2 off.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh very nice, that sounds like a good way of doing it as well. Wonder what the better route is? Isolator or that smart relay that you are using? With your setup, is it possibly for the accessories to drain the main battery if the 2nd battery dies?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Accesories wont drain the battery at all. It physicly seporates the batterys so battery 2 can die and battery 1 will still have a charge. Ok so your riding at night and you stop for a cold beverage. lets say 1 turns into a 30 pack and you pass out with the sterio and the driving lights on. When you wake the next day it will start.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so essentially it works the same as the isolator does...actually we could be talking about the same thing just using different terms. Nonetheless, that is what I will want to accomplish. The no draining thing, not the passed out in the middle of the desert thing ;)

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Excellent, thank you very much for that, I will check it out!

·
Registered
722 Posts
That is a sweet setup. Looks clean and neat good job.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the info will definitely consider doing this mod.......keep up the good work

·
Registered
165 Posts
but what about using full size optima battery would that not be easier, or how about putting battery in bed if just a two seat model???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Where did you get your smart relay (BATTERY SEPARATOR)? I am having difficulty fiinding them on-line. How much do they run? Have you ever heard of one failing?

·
Registered
516 Posts
I know this post is ancient but I just found out about this 'Smart Charge' battery separator and looks like it will work for me. Just called my supplier because they should be able to get it. I like how this set up works and will charge the second battery only when the system can do it or handle it, when the 1st battery is at or over 13.2 volts it will then charge the 2nd battery, I don't know what the Teryx charges at but will check it out later.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts