Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had a few conversions with two different dealers in the service departments about the Belt and some of the problems I have read about.

I have not had any problems with my Teryx at all but then again I'm not running over size tires and I don't mud bog, I trail ride and dunes every now and then.

I didn't shared any information between the dealers and I recieved almost the same info from both dealers that the teryx is only to be driven in low gear when used under 30mph.

I have not looked in my owner manual to see if that is listed but that sound goofy to me?

has anyone else been told this?

or back this up in some way?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Hmmm well I did read that the machine should be in low during steep inclines, but I have not heard of it needing to be in low when under 30mph. For some reason that sounds odd.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Now how do you know you're not going to go over 30mph when you start out. And you can't shift on the fly. And what do you do when you start out in high....slam the throttle until you get to 30mph?

That sounds like a big load of crap to me, I don't care if a dozen dealers told you that.

I had to reread your post to be sure I was reading it correctly, cause I couldn't believe it. Was you wearing a gubber cap when you went to the dealers?

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Sounds to me like he was sharing information that was told to him by the dealers, does not mean he believes it, he was just trying to get feedback on it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I did notice the last time out that when starting off I get a jumpy feeling like the belt is slipping. I think if you are going to be crawling low gear might not be a bad idea. I will experiment on Fathers day weekend and see what I find out.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Ya crawling obstacles I totally agree with, however, I do not think I should be running around my neighborhood in low.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never said I believed it! :rolleyes:

And Diesel took the words right out of my mouth!

But to here the same information from two different dealers I just thought it was strange.

And no I WAS not wearing any hats HE HE

(Was you wearing a gubber cap when you went to the dealers?)

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
I will be honest with you my friend...it is interesting that two dealers had the same thing to say. I think what we have going on here is a new machine that really the dealers know squat about...hell I had to tell my dealer what to do on the first service.

If I had to guess, I would say that the members here almost know as much if not more about the Teryx than the dealers do.

I understand, as with anything there is a learning curve, however, I would have thought licensed dealers would have received important information from Kawasaki. But I am not a dealer, therefore, not sure what information gets shared.

My personal opinion, those two dealers you spoke to are wrong...steep inclines and rock crawling, yes throw it in low. Normal driving regardless of speed...throw it in high.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think there is a lot of youngsters at these dealers, and age gives you a common sense experience factor they just don't have. But yes, I've run into that with a lot of things. I once was buying an RV, and the RV dealer (owner) took me aside and offered me a job. Said I as a buyer was asking questions none of his staff knew, and that I knew more about what I was buying that his employees did.

It's one of the reasons I visit these forums. I want to know things, I want to talk/discuss with others who are in the same boat. You get far better information here than at a dealer.

BTW - I don't have a gubber hat either....didn't for one minute think you did.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I think it was a play on words - miscommunication -, probably meant to say..." don't drive above 30 mph in low." Which, I have no idea why anybody would do that...that's my first thought.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
I think it was a play on words - miscommunication -, probably meant to say..." don't drive above 30 mph in low." Which, I have no idea why anybody would do that...that's my first thought.
That is almost what I was thinking...that what they meant was low was only to be used for speeds under 30mph.

Nonetheless, jcummins is right...a lot of time these dealers are solely interested in selling units, not answering questions. I remember when I purchases my truck, I had to keep on corrected the salesman as he would tell me something about the vehicle and I would turn about and tell him that he is inconrrect.

Don't get me wrong though...I have dealt with a few salesmen that really knew their stuff.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i asked my dealer about adjusting my belt and he told me not to worry about adjusting my belt. he said just wait until it gets bad and change it out. huh, beats all i've ever heard.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Find another dealer or service manager. The deflection has everything to do with the start off ratio of the clutches,...there is a spec in the service manual for a reason. The Teryx ,along with all Brute force models are always too loose from the factory and are to be set at the first service interval. Most good dealers set them right at the PDI inspection nowadays,...but certainly not all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yep, He's right.

Deflection , Especially on a heavy Machine like the Teryx has so much to do with the Low end power as well as Blelt grip and Belt life.

Sure it's a PITA to remove all the clips, Gas tank, Clutch cover. but to ensure things are correct. it's worth the time.

you can also do a Quick Check which I use for checking Belt condition and Deflection.

Look Down at the Secondary Clutch thru the Vent.

If the Belt is Sitting IN and Down from the sheaves. ITS TOO LOOSE.

If the belt is Flush with the top of the sheaves It's OK. If it sits above the sheaves of the secondary. it's Perfect.

you will know if the belt is TOO tight if, When stopped in Drive, the belt will start to squeal VERY SLIGHTLY. This is GOOD! this is the belt squealing off the center shaft of the Primary. NO damage will result. Excessive Squealing is not recomended. Add a thinner MM shim to the secondary to compensate for overtightened belts.

If you learn to set the deflection off the belt squeal the CVT system will last much longer and Resist the Sheave Grooving that these Clutches are Prone to do.

If you don't know how to do this. you had Best learn How to do it.

John

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Excellent information John, I am hoping when I do my clutch to also do a write-up on how to check and adjust belt deflective. This without a doubt will be an ongoing question for Teryx owners I think.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Belt broke 150 miles

I was pulling my buddys king quad because his belt broke then mine broke and i was told by a friend it was because i was running about 30 in low range the dealer told me to try not running in low over 25mph for long cause it gets the belt to hot and mine broke after about 8 miles of pulling another atv @ 30mph

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ive put 85 of the toughest hours on a teryx that you could ask for. I took it in after 30 hours for its first service. I just took it in for another to get the belt checked very little adjustment needed. The first 30 hours was put on it at coal creek in Tenn. Trail 39 what a trail. I road all the trails but that one in high range except when there was alot of climbing involved. Not had a problem yet. I have about 1000 acres we get to ride on in the back yard and it is alot of rivers and hills. The teryx has held up good so far. Had to replace some plastic thanks to coal creek the 2nd time around. Recomend putting rock slides on they work good now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i know the dealers sometimes dont know everything but they are right about using low when going slow. polaris even gives you a dvd to watch just about this very thing. i reason is they dont want the belt to ride in the same spot on the front clutch all the time. with the bike in low the rpms change more causing the belt the move up and down more so it dont ride in that low spot on the clutch causing a grove in the clutch. i ahve changed alot of front drive clutch here at xtreme atvs because the clutch will get a grove in it. this will cause the belt to grab and make the bike creep. i have even seen them hold the belt over on one side of the clutch causing it to creep. i have seen this alot on the polaris. so yes there is a reason to use low when going slow.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ive put 85 of the toughest hours on a teryx that you could ask for. I took it in after 30 hours for its first service. I just took it in for another to get the belt checked very little adjustment needed. The first 30 hours was put on it at coal creek in Tenn. Trail 39 what a trail. I road all the trails but that one in high range except when there was alot of climbing involved. Not had a problem yet. I have about 1000 acres we get to ride on in the back yard and it is alot of rivers and hills. The teryx has held up good so far. Had to replace some plastic thanks to coal creek the 2nd time around. Recomend putting rock slides on they work good now.

Don't mean to hi-jack, but what rock sliders are you using?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts