Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 09 has only 7 hrs on it and belt is slipping, im pretty sure it wasnt adjusted correctly from factory because i noticed it slipping a little since new and it seems to be getting worse ,was gonna check deflection but don't have tool for it and was wondering what is bare minimum tools I need to tighten belt, read somewhere ppl just take a shim out if its slipping and a little tight is OK, will eventually buy deflection tool and puller just don't have funds right now and wanna do it myself cuz I just don't trust any shops around here, oh ya and where can I find shims at, this will be my first venture into clutch, thanks in advance

·
383 Posts
Bare minimun tools= primary puller, secondary compressor, and an impact gun makes it easier to remove primary but not necessary. In case you don't know it is a right hand thread to loosen primary (backwards) as well as to remove it with the puller. Pulling shim out could put you at right deflection but won't neccisarily be correct, depends which shims are in there. You can buy shims at a kawi dealer, they should stock them. With a 1.0mm shim in mine the deflection is at 20mm with a new belt (to tight) so I have a .80 and a .30 and it is right around 22mm.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where is best place to buy puller and compressor or could I Fab one up, I watched a YouTube video and it said ppl from this thread were making there own compressor

·
Registered
35 Posts
eez, I made my own compressor for use on my KFX secondary. I'll see if I can't get a picture of it today. I think I have a grand total of $3 or $4 tied up in it. It was really easy and worked well. Assuming the secondaries in these are similar to the KFX/Prairie secondaries. I haven't been in a Teryx secondary yet so I'm not sure.:confused:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Make sure to torque the primary and secondary. THIS IS A MUST. Your belt deflection will not be correct if you over tighten the seconday and will come loose if not tight enough.

In most cases I have seen just pulling one shim out, although it helps, does not get the correct deflection. Your Kawie dealer should have the shims or checkout babbitsonline. The shims are cheap and well worth purchasing.

I have also found the Kawie deflection tool very usefull to get the proper tension on the belt while taking the measurement. Once you know the deflection there is a simple calculation to adjust the shims correctly the first time.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My local dealers don't have shims in stock and the one an HR away has 3 sizes and wants $6 a piece for them, also where is best place to find tools or does anyone have part #s

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so i ordered the primary puller, deflection tool, and 1- .030 shim, was all they had in stock, figured gonna need em anyways so might as well get them, still looking for shims, which shims do u guys reccomend buying and would really like some info on a homemade secondary spring compressor, thanks for all the help so far, i may start tear down tommorow, anything special to pay attention to?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used a tie dowm,a little red neck. But it worked.
U used that to compress secondary? U mean like a ratchet strap or a heavy zip tie? Nuttin wrong with some redneck engineering;)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got my deflection tool today and it measured 41.275 , holy f---, think I can get it in adjustment or new belt time? I took it for spin just before adjustment so wonder if being hot made difference?

·
383 Posts
Looks like a new belt with that much deflection, but seems like alot of wear on a belt with 7hrs on it. Did you smoke it repeatedly in the 7hrs or did kawi send it with a used belt? I would double check it cause I don't think you will get it proper by changing shims.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
gonna order new belt but gonna try and adjust this belt in meantime, wondering what minimum amount of shims you can run. I did smoke belt one time in a mudhole but even when i did that i felt there should have been no reason for it to slip as the mud was not real deep, i also had it chirping couple times while climbing hills. I had a 650 prairie befor this and had no problems and i ran that harder than i run this rex. Anyone else had belt out of adjustment from new. Wondering if dalton or other clutch kit would improve belt life? Pretty happy with how it runs now but cant afford to go thru belts. Maybe since i did alot of hill climbs before belt was broke in properly???, but i'm no believer in soft break-in on new bikes, i run the hell outta them from the gate

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine was out right from the start, pulled a shim out and put a new belt on around 10hrs, old belt got 1 hot spot but will work as a spare in emerg to get through a weekend. Changing is a big job the first time, should be able to do it at the campsite now.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine was out right from the start, pulled a shim out and put a new belt on around 10hrs, old belt got 1 hot spot but will work as a spare in emerg to get through a weekend. Changing is a big job the first time, should be able to do it at the campsite now.
Have u had any slipping troubles since new belt, did u add clutch kit or just make sure deflection was correct on new one?, just don't wanna keep cooking belts and still wondering why my first one went so quickly, took secondary apart and there was only 1 shim, I'm guessing 1.4, can u run with no shims?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Have u had any slipping troubles since new belt, did u add clutch kit or just make sure deflection was correct on new one?, just don't wanna keep cooking belts and still wondering why my first one went so quickly, took secondary apart and there was only 1 shim, I'm guessing 1.4, can u run with no shims?
No problems, have around 60 hard hrs on this belt. no kit, mine had thick and thin, took thin out and has been great. Would squeak a bit so got in the habit of always kick to neutral every time I stop. I think yo want something in there. Does your belt protection light come on also and cut power?, It drove me crazy for that first 10 hrs, I don't think I've seen it since.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts