Teryx HQ banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having priced the tools Ma Kaw recommends for belt adjustment I found them rather spendy. Are they really needed, some needed, or just another promotion by the beloved makers of the Teryx?

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Some people just do it by feel, while others use the actual tool...I am sure others will chime in, I have yet to adjust it myself yet.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some people just do it by feel, while others use the actual tool...I am sure others will chime in, I have yet to adjust it myself yet.
After pricing the recommeded tools, from the service manual, a person can dump 400 or 500 into just the tools alone. I find it hard to believe there wouldn't be another option :confused:

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
I am sure there are tools of the trade that people use versus actual Kawasaki branded tools. Like I said, with the belt deflection, so know just by feel, others use a ruler. I know some people have made their own clutch pullers, etc.

·
Registered
241 Posts
You will probably need the the drive clutch puller, but the driven clutch spring compressor you can make with a 1/2 piece of all thread, some large washers and a pipe fitting bell. I made mine at work, so I don't have anything invested in it. My friend has it right now, I'll see if I can get it back and post a picture of it. Super easy to make and works great.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
You only need the clutch puller and the spring compressor. I think like 30 bucks and 90 bucks if you have air tools. You can hold both the driven and drive (clutch) pulley with your hand and get them off.

If you don't have air tools, you will probably need or need to make hte tools that hold the drive and driven pulleys.

Same thing RAM04 said.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I would like to see some pictures of that spring compressor.

I have air, and lots of it, so that should help with the service of that belt.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My home made one looks alot like that, I'm going by on the way home from work and pick it up and hope to have pictures this evening. Like Magellan said, you will need the clutch puller for sure.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Okay, I've got pictures, but the idiot on the computer can't down load them, so he will wait till his daughter gets home and try again. I will try back later.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The bad thing is I can't remember what size bell I used, so I'll take to work tomorrow and see if I can match it, I'll let everyone know what it is. You should be able to go to Lowes or where ever and make your own pretty cheap.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sorry I did'nt get back to this, what I used :
1-1/2 all thread x 16 inch long
1-2 inch x 1/2 inch bell (you may have to drill it out alittle to let the all thread fit)
2-1/2 x 1 3/4 washer
1-2 1/2 x 1 washer
3- 1/2 nuts

The biggest thing is the 2 inch bell, because it fits the pulley just about right, I have actually seen this made using pvc fittings, please don't do that, I made mine from stainless, because it was available, to cut cost, just use black iron fittings.
I hope this helps, if you have any questions, feel free to ask, remember this is a home made tool.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I did the same type of spring compressor just I used 2.75 (I think)x 3" long pipe with a window for acsess to the clip, cut into the side and large washer . instead of the bell, worked awsome and cost a total 8 bucks... that short of pipe was just scrap for the fab shop.. ie: free :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
That's awesome Ram, I got the thrd. rod and was going to fab cut heat and bend like epi's tool. I'm on my way to home depot...Great Idea!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Glad I could help, this forum is great, I have got some really good ideals and advice from the members here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts