Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have to give my opinion on my bighorn 2.0 in 26x14 size. I have given these more than a fair chance but they keep letting me down.

Total of 9 flat tires in a little over a year (600 miles). 2 broked rims to boot with that because they blew. This past weekend I had 5 in 2 days. All puncture wounds. I have been riding my whole life and up till these tires only had 3 flats total all on stockers on various machines...

I realize flats are going to happen but come on... and this is mostly dirt road riding! Anybody else have this issue? I have 0 confidence in long trips... The ITP ss312 have failed on 2 occasions as well, i guess I do miss steel wheels...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I feel your pain. I will never buy a cast aluminum rim ever. A steel rim or a spun aluminum rim will bend but not brake. I have seen a few broke cast rims from hitting something & even more from rocks getting inside by the rotor then when it come around to caliper the rim fails from the inside out,not pretty. With my stock rims, I recently smacked a rock at about 30,bent the rim,deflated tire. Drove home about 1/4 mile, beat it with a hammer, inflated tire and continued on my way.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have SS108 with Terracross tires.. I have at least 100 holes in my tires and they are still going. Of course with green slime and one tube and multiple plugs :laugh: Point being I am sooo rough on my tires. Usually at the end of a long ride with a few adult beverages being the reason. I guess what I am getting at is slime works and plugs work well too.. But if you really destroy a tire a tube will work for that. I like how my tires perform in most conditions and I am wondering when I finally break down to replace them what tire I will replace them with... Big Daddy could probably chime in on this since he runs a tire shop..

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was on my second ride on my new tires. We rode all day at Brimstone with no issues. Later that night, we went on a night ride. I hit a small rock ledge at about 4 mph and blew a side wall. I was hitting stuff much harder through the day, and this little ledge did me in. I was looking at the 2.0's, but a buddy of mine heard the same issues you are having with the strength of the tire. I am now looking at the old big horns.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I hate to say anything because everybodys riding conditions vary so much and there is a new tire on the market everyday, I have not run any myself but a tire that I like the looks of is the Baja Cross if your not concerned with wieght.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I have used a set of Bighorn 2.0's for a year and a half cross country racing and have had zero flats.

Your probably gonna have some kind of issues no matter what tire, but the 2.0 is a light tire and it is light for a reason, performance. If you ride in extreme conditions your gonna have to give up performance and go with something heavy.

I am not a ITP tire fan though even though we sell a good many of them.

·
Registered
526 Posts
All of us have different riding conditions. I have a set of terra cross on my teryx with the Berrryman brand of tire sealant that tractor supply and napa sells. I also have a 02 honda 450 foreman with the same sealant as well. I ride threw pastures that have cactus bushes,cedar tree bushes and muskeet bushes (hope i spelled muskeet right???) All of these have thorns or sharp items on them. I have not ever had 1 flat in my life since 02 on the honda or 09 on the teryx but i have noticed that when these machines sit in the garage for some time you can see on the tire where it appears that a fly spit on the tire in various places. That is where a thorn has poked threw the tire and the sealant is doing its job. Some say the sealant make the tire wobble but i have never experienced that problem. I also ride in rocky and mud conditions. Therefore i am a strong believer in the berryman product.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can say for my situation its deffinately the tires. We had 6 side by sides, 4 teryx, 1 rzr 1 ranger We all ride the same. This was the same terrain.

Tires in group. Bighorn 2.0, Bighorn, Stock tires, itp mudlites, Polaris atc radials, GBC dirt Devils.

Only the 2.0 and stockers failed.. and failed multiple times.

Plus this is the second trip where the 2.0 didnt resist punctures..
Very small holes as well, no sidewall gashes.

Just an fyi, I can say I wouldnt buy again. Almost wondering about selling and geting some of those new 8 ply duracross tires. Anyone have any thoughts on those?

·
Registered
151 Posts
not so fast,if you do a little reasearch youll find out that the bighorn 2.0 is a lightweihgt racing tire. if tou want tough get terra cross, if you want fast get a light tire and wheel combo,cheapest fast youll ever get.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
umm yeah that makes alot of sense.... If you want a racing tire that is prone to failure from puncture wounds... dont get this tire.. Seriously racing is harder on tires than just about anything. The terrain we go over is pretty moderate, we dont do alot of rock crawling, not much mud just mostly FAST trails. I guess if you were racing on hard pack then this is a great tire.... then again why would you pick this for those conditions...

I would classify this as a light weight.. er light duty tire. And the weight is a joke. Right from maxxis website 2.0 26x11x14 weight = 27.2, regular bighorn 26x11x14 = 27.5 holy cow 3 tenths of a pound savings?

All I am saying is buyer beware.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I have run big horn 2 with no problem, every riders application is different, I am running a set of Carlisle ACT XLR (discontinued) 3 ply 14 " on my 2006 Rhino 1200 miles 3 hunting seasons without 1 single flat, on my Teryx I am running 26-11-14 Carlisle ACT 3 ply on rear it wieghs 23 pounds and on the front I am running 26-8-14 Carlisle R14 3 ply, I run alot of back roads but I also don't baby my tires I run a tire store so a flat is no big deal to me but I just don't have any, When I look for a tire for myself I look for a tire that has the tread design that I like that will work on and off road and the very lightest wieght I can find, I guess I must be lucky because I have been running ATV tires since 1979 on my Honda ATC 110 and have never ran slime fix a flat or anything like it and have had very few tire problems. Also racing to me is how fast I can run the 1/8 or 1/4 mile. If I was just brutally abusing my tires and having major flat problems I would look into 15" wheels and running a steel belted all terrain or mud terrain like all of the Baja Truck series trucks run, Like I said everyone is different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Common Merlin pull youre head out of the sand!HA HA:wave: Lets just say the terracross have mixed results. I you want a great all around tire that is very puncture resistant buy the Original BIG Horns. I have been ever where that KYWILDCAT has been on them and they held up great with only one flat. That was because i ran over a nail but it still held air so i drove it another 6 months before i pulled it out and plugged it. I am very hard on my tires to say the least.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Flats can happen to any tire under the right circumstances, but a big factor in flats on these SidexSides is people running to low air pressure in the tire. You need at least 10# front and 12# rear in these machines if you are running the trails the least little bit hard to keep from square edgeing or mashing flat the tire against the rim. You need even more pressure than that with 14" wheels due to the smaller sidewall which means less air volumn in the tire.

·
Registered
151 Posts
yea thats 3/10th of a pound,3/10th of a pound of rolling mass 13 inches from center point (axle) in racing thats called an advantage, handleing, braking,and all out performance. plus there are lighter tires out there,these can be really big gains on the track. not to get off subject but you act like 3/10ths of a pound is a joke, its not ,its real live fast.;)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ive had no luck with 2.0's either. BUt in all fairness i have ruined numerous tires but the 2.0's were prob. the worse. I will NOT use anything but a 8 ply on my teryx. Im running pit bull rockers with no issues ever and i have the GBC grim reapers on my 4 seater with no issues. I also run the 8 ply GBC dirt commanders on my 840 and really like them, but i have ruined one, but i also ruined a beadlock at the same time.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
YOu may want to try some Highlifter sealant in your 2.0's. I had the problem of small holes leaking down my trailfinder VPR's and the HL Sealant has cured the issue for sure, no more problems with tires leaking down. It was so bad before I could not strap my machine down to the trailer overnight or I would have a flat tire. No more. Did nothing other than add the sealant.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Has anyone tried the Maxxis Mudzillas on a Teryx yet. Most of the guys I ride with have 800 quads and they all run Zillas.

My old man has got radial Mud Bugs on a 650. He really likes them.

I'm the only guy with a SxS though. I don't have any comparison.

I'm going to be getting tires next. I ride in a lot of mud and brush trails, but there's a fair bit of gravel road traveling in between trails.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Het Grizz,
I have a 2009 Teryx with over 2500 miles on it. I have a buddy that has a Rhino with the original Bighorns with about 1500 miles on them and no sign of needing replacement. We ride all types of terrain from sharp egded rocks to downed tress in the Sierra Nevada Mountains with sharp branches sticking up. I have never experienced a flat with my stockers and my buddy has never punctured his Bighorns. I honeslty don't know how because we ride hard and fast everywhere. I just replaced my stockers and wanted to upgrade the rims. I like you did not want a tire that would have problems since I had such great luck with my stockers. I read mixed reviews about the Bighorns 2.0 tires but knew first hand good the original Bighorns would do. I have another buddy that put new Terracross tires on his Rhino and has already replaced 2 or 3 of his tires due to punctures and flats, he does not ride as hard as I do. I was going to order the original Bighorns but my supplier was out and he told me they now sell more of the new ITP Bajacross tires than any other tire, mostly for customers who do alot of dessert riding. This is what I installed on Teryx. The are not as aggressive as the Bighorns and I thought this might be a disadvantage in mud and climbing loose dirt in the mountains but I am satisfied with the grip. The definitaley ride better on hard pack than the stockers and I think the Bighorns, that is what they are designed for. The only downside is the weight. I weighed the stock front and rear tire/wheel combo and the new SS108 rims with 26" tires are 9 pounds heavier each than stock. Now the tires are wider and taller than stock, but that is alot of weight. I don't think it matters for recreational riding as much as racing and sand riding but I can feel a little more sluggish feeling than before. For me I felt I did not want any flats when I ride and these are an 8 ply tire and ITP admits the Terracross tries were really designed for atvs and not for SXS. So far so good, if I have any problems I will post. The tires do have real good side lugs and look great mounted.
Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts