Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has told me that several guys he knows are putting larger engines in their Rhinos and Teryx's. Has anyone heard of putting a larger engine such as a Kawasaki 1000 CC engine or a Hayabusa in a UTV. I'm curious. I think he is blowing smoke, but thought I'd put it out there.:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
There are a couple of Kawi Engine Builders are working on BBKs bigger than 840ccs that visit this site once in a while.
There is also a fellow on here from the western side of the US that has a 1000cc motor on order. He can come forward if he wants to.

This may be the Dark Side Fab Rhino he is thinking of

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
R1 and 800 Rotax are not uncommon motors to find in Rhinos...I have not, however, met anyone that has swapped a motor in their Teryx, I am sure it is not too far off though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
DougS There are a couple of Kawi Engine Builders are working on BBKs bigger than 840ccs that visit this site once in a while.
There is also a fellow on here from the western side of the US that has a 1000cc motor on order. He can come forward if he wants to.
Who is the builder of the bbk bigger than 840? Fundy or fst?

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
I believe both of them have a bbk larger than 840cc.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I heard Ray at Fundy will have kits by Christmas and not sure when Mickey at FST will have his done. Ray has a turbo kit for the Vforce and Mickey is supposed to be working on one as well.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Mickey at FST has had 900 cc stroker kits for 3 years for the kawie v-twins, he is close to having a 1000cc ready!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
R1 and 800 Rotax are not uncommon motors to find in Rhinos...I have not, however, met anyone that has swapped a motor in their Teryx, I am sure it is not too far off though.
What I'm thinking of is starting with a 1000+ CC motorcycle engine (Kawi of course) since they make some incredible engines and sticking them in a Teryx like that Rhino I saw on this thread. There are several videos on you tube as pointed out by Dougs of Rhinos with 5 or 6 speeds with engines out of the R1 and even a supercharged Rhino. I'd just like to see a Teryx that way.:D
The reason I mention a larger engine is that my experience with car engines is, if you bore and stroke them too much you end up with reliability issues.

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
What I'm thinking of is starting with a 1000+ CC motorcycle engine (Kawi of course) since they make some incredible engines and sticking them in a Teryx like that Rhino I saw on this thread. There are several videos on you tube as pointed out by Dougs of Rhinos with 5 or 6 speeds with engines out of the R1 and even a supercharged Rhino. I'd just like to see a Teryx that way.:D
The reason I mention a larger engine is that my experience with car engines is, if you bore and stroke them too much you end up with reliability issues.
If you want to go real wild yes the M/C motors are the way to go.

However there is alot to be said about the CVT motors. The 900cc big bore strokers we build are already prooven with no problem,but the 840's are the best bang for the buck because it's all just top end work done in the frame.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Keep in mind that with this motor conversions you are changing out a lot more than just a motor...you have tranny changes, rear end changes, etc. Also, depending on the setup, lose reverse and four wheel drive.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Keep in mind that with this motor conversions you are changing out a lot more than just a motor...you have tranny changes, rear end changes, etc. Also, depending on the setup, lose reverse and four wheel drive.
I definetly would not want to lose reverse or four wheel drive. My idea of fun includes large steep hills that requires reverse and four wheel drive. On the other hand, it would be fun to scream 100 MPH on El Mirage dry lake bed. I guess its just like a Pickup. What do you want it to do because you can't have both things. Maybe something in the middle.:D

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
I definetly would not want to lose reverse or four wheel drive. My idea of fun includes large steep hills that requires reverse and four wheel drive. On the other hand, it would be fun to scream 100 MPH on El Mirage dry lake bed. I guess its just like a Pickup. What do you want it to do because you can't have both things. Maybe something in the middle.:D
El Mirage LOL, Last time I was there was 1984, I was racing three wheeler for Team Honda. My team manager had just picked up a loaner 200 ATC from a farmer they give ATC's to for some reason or another. He had it in the back of a truck and told my self and 2 of my team mates to give it the 60MPH test:confused: I knew it wouldn't go 60MPH by it's self, that's when he told us to take the truck and get it up to 60mph and kick it out the back of the truck:eek:k: All I could say is WOW!:wave: That thing bounce so high! :yahoo:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
El Mirage LOL, Last time I was there was 1984, I was racing three wheeler for Team Honda. My team manager had just picked up a loaner 200 ATC from a farmer they give ATC's to for some reason or another. He had it in the back of a truck and told my self and 2 of my team mates to give it the 60MPH test:confused: I knew it wouldn't go 60MPH by it's self, that's when he told us to take the truck and get it up to 60mph and kick it out the back of the truck:eek:k: All I could say is WOW!:wave: That thing bounce so high! :yahoo:
I like the "bounce test", especially for three wheelers LOL. I can't believe someone actually raced those things:confused:. I rode one at Pismo beach and thought they were so unsafe that I continued to ride on two wheels. I'm sure El Mirage hasn't changed since the last time you were there except for the Ranger's station where you now have to PAY to get in. I would've liked to seen that three wheeler bounce:laugh:

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
I like the "bounce test", especially for three wheelers LOL. I can't believe someone actually raced those things:confused:. I rode one at Pismo beach and thought they were so unsafe that I continued to ride on two wheels. I'm sure El Mirage hasn't changed since the last time you were there except for the Ranger's station where you now have to PAY to get in. I would've liked to seen that three wheeler bounce:laugh:
Yea I am glad I live through those days of racing three wheel. I guess I was just young and dumb,oh and it paid real good!:laugh:

·
Registered
241 Posts
The bad thing about it, was there was a bunch of us that saw what you could do on a threewheeler and thought we could do the same!!!
I can only tell you my threewheeler days were very short, I spent a small fortune on a 200 X just to discover the damn thing wanted to kill me every time I tried to go fast.
I would'nt trade those days for anything, to be young and dumb, what a blast.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The bad thing about it, was there was a bunch of us that saw what you could do on a threewheeler and thought we could do the same!!!
I can only tell you my threewheeler days were very short, I spent a small fortune on a 200 X just to discover the damn thing wanted to kill me every time I tried to go fast.
I would'nt trade those days for anything, to be young and dumb, what a blast.
Responsibility is a heavy responsibility...

The aches and pains are a good nostalgia piece. :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
I don't know what you guys are talking about!
Don't all of you still love riding a trike anywhere. I have an `85 ATC250R and love it!:laugh: This time of year the snow is coming and ground freezing, want to get the trike up and going, stud out the tires and go. Normally, I can still rip on trails faster than alot of guys on their quads\bikes. A studded out trike totally hooks up. But will find out this winter how good Teryx is in snow.
Love the bounce test Mickey! That's funny!:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea I am glad I live through those days of racing three wheel. I guess I was just young and dumb,oh and it paid real good!:laugh:
I'm lovin all the three wheel stories, but now I'd rather be on those Teryx four wheels unless "it paid real good":laugh:, then it might be worth it, NOT. But those were the days. I wish I could find my old Hodaka. What a ride that was.

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
I'm lovin all the three wheel stories, but now I'd rather be on those Teryx four wheels unless "it paid real good":laugh:, then it might be worth it, NOT. But those were the days. I wish I could find my old Hodaka. What a ride that was.
Hodaka offerd me my first factory ride. I grew up on the flat tracks in Washington and Hodaka offered me a road race ride,but I was only 12 years old and the thought of going 100mph on pavement wasn't something I wanted to do.:eek:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts