Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In regards to long travel setups, I noticed some used a boxed a-arm where others use a tubular or round a-arm. What is the difference, and why one over the other?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I prefer fully boxed arms, because they act as full skid plates as well as being stronger according to most. But, the advantage to open tubular a-arms is they're probably lighter. If all I ran was dunes, I'd go with open tubular a-arms, but since I run rocky terrain too, I don't want the chance of catching a rock on the rearmost a-arm, which I've done before and it's not pretty.

Chris

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am kinda thinking a long the same lines as you. One weekend I may be in the dunes and the next could be flying through the AZ desert. I agree the tubular arms are probably lighter.

Thanks!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Whose boxed arms are you looking at? I agree boxed is gong to be suited more towards a dual sport machine. I would like to see the weight differance in the 2 types. I assume by boxed you are meaning squared tubing instead of round. Does anyone make a full skid plated one like ravencr says. I would think those would be extemely heavy. Is regualar boxed tubing over round tubing stronger?

·
Registered
180 Posts
ALL of this depends on Material. Stainless vs. Carbon vs. Chromemoly vs Aluminum. Same with boxed. Thickness in either will determine weight and strength. Most run Aluminum on the tops to save weight and some type of iron on bottoms for strength to take the hits from rocks, roots, etc.
Cages are the same. A Chromemoly will be stronger AND lighter, but then you throw in the $$$$$ factor.

·
Registered
722 Posts
That is one sikk set of arms. What are the specs of that kit? How much wider? What is the travel? Are they forward and back any? The last and most important what is the cost? Again that is a sikk set of arms.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That is one sikk set of arms. What are the specs of that kit? How much wider? What is the travel? Are they forward and back any? The last and most important what is the cost? Again that is a sikk set of arms.
Thanks ....the kit is 5" over and we did pull the rear back a little but the front is stock We are doing a cost analysis as we speak to come up with a MSRP but more than likely it will be in the 5500.00-6000.00 range

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The kit looks awesome long travel, cannot wait to see the final product!

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think they look great!! Loving the design. Looking forward to seeing some installed pics.

·
Registered
722 Posts
What shocks are you going to run with this kit? LIke has been said they look sharp and beefy I like it alot.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not to speak for him, however, I believe he uses King shocks with his kits.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Round tubing is Stronger than Square tubing. But Square tubing with the bracing could be more stronger than just Round tubing. But it would also seem to have to be Heavyier with the added wieght !!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Round tubing is Stronger than Square tubing. But Square tubing with the bracing could be more stronger than just Round tubing. But it would also seem to have to be Heavyier with the added wieght !!!
I'm not sure that the comparison is meaningful in this situation. Perhaps 1" tubing is stronger than a similar thickness 1" square tubing. However, what we are talking about here is a boxed arm that I suspect ends up with much more area boxed than the equivalent tubing so it is quite likely stronger. The boxed design is also likly heavier if the thickness is the same. Ultimately, I would think it comes down to the design. Both can be made plenty strongdepending on the design

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah , The piont I was making is 2" Round Tubing is stronger than 2" square tubing of same thickness by design. Thats why race cars use Round tubing. I actually think it was siad in one of my Roll cage fab books that Round tubing is much stronger than square tubing. When I get my Rex , I'm going with the Round Tubing for lightness since I'll mostly be Duneing !!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts