Teryx HQ banner

Brand New Rig (need help)

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  TChad 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 2012 Teryx FI and I am not sure if I have an issue or not. I live in Colorado and took it up and down a pretty rough climb my third time out on the machine. On the way back down the engine braking was driving me nuts, every time I got below 2mph it would kit out, then kick back in, then kick out, I thought the Teryx was going to self-destruct. It was so violent that the whole rig was bucking back and forth; I finally had to put it in neutral and coast down the road until I got to flat ground. Shortly after this I noticed a shutter when I was loading the teryx on the trailer; I am guessing my belt is slipping.

Question 1: Is the engine brake working normal? If so I am going to either disconnect or put a toggle switch from the fuse bank. It literally almost made me wreck twice.

Question #2: Do you think that my belt needs adjusted after only 11 hours of operation? I wonder if the erratic engine breaking stretched my belt a little bit.

Question #3 Since this unit is brand new, should I take it and have the dealer take a look?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Derek

See less See more
#2 ·
It is hard to diagnose something from just a description on the internet, but can tell you a couple things.

The shuttering when first taking off is normal, especially if you are just feathering the fuel, the belt and clutches need RPM to start working. Once they are engaged you can back off the fuel some. When first starting off from a dead stop give it more fuel and don't let it shutter, but that doesn't mean you need to floor it either.

It sounds as if your engine brake is working normally and it probably seemed worse when you were off the fuel completely? When going down hill I bring the rpm up just above an idle and it stops the hard kick in and out action, but still helps brake.

If in doubt, take it to the dealer, especially if it is still on warranty.

#4 ·
Had same problem

Derek,

I had the same problem last summer with my new Teryx. I agree, the noise from the drive system engaging and disengaging while going downhill is very disturbing and noisy.

Anyway, I called the dealer, and he told me the same thing in one of the other replies to your post. You need to give it a little gas going downhill. He said the onboard computer control system doesn't know how to handle it. It sounds like a flaw in the Teryx computer control system to me. So, I now keep one foot on the gas and the other on the brake when I'm going down hill.

It seems to work even thought it doesn't seem right to have to do this.

My Teryx is in Creede, CO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.