Teryx HQ banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a problem it doesn't happen all the time mostly after I've been driving for a while.
While sitting still with the motor running and my foot on the brake, the teryk starts making a high pitched squeal. It isn't like the squeal or chirp from the belt. Once I take my foot off of the brake it goes away. Does anyone have any idea why and where this noise is coming from , I checked the brake fluid it looks fine. It seems to only happen when I try to talk to someone, go figure!:mad:

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Have you had your belt adjusted?

Sounds like it could be too tight.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yeah, I'd have to agree with dieselpowered. There really isnt anything in the break system that would squeal at a stop. Does the squeal go away if you put in neutral? My guess would be the belt, but who knows. Could be some kind of weird problem.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I am not to up on the braking system but doesn't the Teryx have an engine brake that works with the belt to keep tension on it so it doesn't disengage the belt/clutches so you have engine braking on hill decents, etc... Just a thought but maybe it is doing something to related to a brake signal to turn this on and off???

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yes it has engine breaking and your right it could be in that system, I,ve just never seen that happen. The group that I ride with there are about 6 Prairies and 3 Brute forces and we've not run into that. My best friend runs a Motorcycle repair shop I'll ask him about it and get back on what he says. He's had 2 Prairies and now rides a Brute force.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a problem it doesn't happen all the time mostly after I've been driving for a while.
While sitting still with the motor running and my foot on the brake, the teryk starts making a high pitched squeal. It isn't like the squeal or chirp from the belt. Once I take my foot off of the brake it goes away. Does anyone have any idea why and where this noise is coming from , I checked the brake fluid it looks fine. It seems to only happen when I try to talk to someone, go figure!:mad:
Mine does the same thing... The noise is so loud it actually hurts my ears. It doesn't do it all the time, just once and a while. :confused:

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Aside from having the dealer check it out, I am going to have to go by my initial idea that the belt is too tight. Am I 100% sure, no, but from what I have read, it kinda points to that.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Have'nt been able to get a hold of my friend yet, but I dug the manual out and looked again ( you would think as many times that I've changed springs,weights and belts that I would'nt forget, Duh!) Anyway the engine brake is just a Actuator that slows down the motor by rubbing the converter. It has some kind of nylon on it, maybe that has come off and you are getting metal to metal contact? I'm really not sure, I guess bottom line you'll have to open it up and take a look. Good time to go ahead and check belt deflection and reshim if nessary. If I find anything else out I will repost, Good luck!

·
Registered
241 Posts
O.K. talked to my friend and he said the same thing, you either have the nylon or what ever that it is on the engine brake off or its the belt squealing. Odds are its the belt, if its the belt you should be able to adjust it yourself or maybe your dealer will fix it under warranty. ( Good luck there). Setting the belt deflection seems hard at first, but trust me it is worth either investing in the tools to do it or make them yourself. There are several websites that show how to make a driven spring compresser. ( I made my own at work).
There is probably someone on this site that knows how to get around on the internet better than me and can point you in the right dirrection. One site I know of is a guy called Nyroc, he has a lot of info for Prairies and how to make your own compressor and alot of this translates to the Teryx. Again I stress I'm no expert or anything like that, just trying to point you in the right direction. My advice is to invest in a manual ( I down loaded mine off the internet) and do the work yourself if you can.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It did it once this weekend with it in neutral with the brake on...Never does it until after a long ride or working hard and not all the time maybe once a day or every other day.
I'll check it out this week, Installing the vapor and header wrap, Might as well check the belt while I have the dog house off. I've never worked with the clutch so that will be an experience, but I have the manual and some good bookmarks off of teryxhq about clutch work and belt tightening.

·
Registered
241 Posts
When you get a chance to dig into it, let me know what you find! I'm really curious to what would make it squeal in neutral with the brake on. Also taking the plastic off is really not that big of a deal, I leave the drivers side on and just take the engine cowling, passenger side and front off. Hope you don't find anything really wrong.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm starting to notice the same thing.....but without the brake being involved. It's probably the belt. but with 42 hours...if anything I'd think the belt would loosen up...not tighten up.

So I'm interested too in what you find out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing. It will only squeal while sitting still with foot on the brake. When it happens I just take my foot off of the brake and repress it. It will stop for 10-12 seconds and then start again.:mad: Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mine does it, but it sounds like the belt. I don't think that it is due to a tight belt like some other threads have indicated. Mine also jumps when starting off in high, which is an indication of a loose belt. I have been reading threads on the belt, and mine does both. So I have just left the belt alone. It can't be tight and loose at the same time. I have never heard it squeal in Nuetral though. Mine always does it in High range while my foot is on the brake. I can let off the brake and it will stop for a few seconds. When I put it in Nuetral, it will stop all together.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts