Teryx HQ banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here tried this? I have a built 05 carbed brute motor I'm thinking about putting in the teryx and vice versa.

I know the transmission bevel gears are different, along with the side cover, clutches, etc. Anything else I need to know...??

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends on years, if one is a efi and the other a carb model there is more.

Why you would you swap the engines?
Sorry, I should have said 09 teryx. It already has muzzy pros and msd.

I have a freshly rebuilt 840 brute motor. The teryx needs the 840 much more than the brute. I'm thinking about selling the brute this fall before hunting season. I figure the brute will sell much easier with a stock motor. The value of the built motor will be much better realized in a teryx than the brute.

Make sense?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And yeah obviously the carbs and throttle bodies are different, but they still mount to the head intake the same, correct. I'm saying leave the carbs on the brute but drop in the 09 motor, and leave the FI on the teryx and drop in the 05 built 840.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I think you would be much better off swapping the heads and cylinder then buying a pair of larger injectors and of course remap it.

Way more work to swap complete engines. Several sensors different, flywheel different, stator different, gears different etc.

I mean waaaaay less work to swap top ends.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think you would be much better off swapping the heads and cylinder then buying a pair of larger injectors and of course remap it.

Way more work to swap complete engines. Several sensors different, flywheel different, stator different, gears different etc.

I mean waaaaay less work to swap top ends.
Thanks for the input.

Possibly more work but possibly worth it. The built 05 brute motor has all new internals...bearings, chains, oil and water pump etc. If I'm going to keep one motor I would rather keep that one.

Sensors? Can you elaborate?

Flywheel and stator yes. Pull of the side cover. Not terribly difficult.

Bevel gears different yes. I've never been in there so that is mildly concerning.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Thanks for the input.

Possibly more work but possibly worth it. The built 05 brute motor has all new internals...bearings, chains, oil and water pump etc. If I'm going to keep one motor I would rather keep that one.

Sensors? Can you elaborate?

Flywheel and stator yes. Pull of the side cover. Not terribly difficult.

Bevel gears different yes. I've never been in there so that is mildly concerning.
I would have to think on it, you got to change flywheels, guessing speed sensor is different, change stator cover as mentioned. The bevel gears and main shaft can be changed without splitting case but you need to set the gear lash and will possibly need different shims. All the sensors mentioned are not on the engine but make sure you swap the temp sensor in the thermostat.

The older one has a much smaller breather tube in engine so it will push oil much worse thru breather tube than teryx engine.

I promise I would swap cylinders myself

1 - 7 of 7 Posts