Teryx HQ banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey , during tear down on my 840 build I noticed that I had bungs in my muzzys front head pipe & rear head pipe. I got my Muzzys in the summer of 08. Merlin's 09 has only one bung were it y's together. My question is that the bungs are 8 or 9 inches from my heads but most air/fuel gauges say 16 inches:confused: Can you tune it this way or do they have to be 16 away. Or do they recomend it just for the life of the sensor?? It sure would be nice not having to weld new bungs in..Can any body help me on this??

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hey , during tear down on my 840 build I noticed that I had bungs in my muzzys front head pipe & rear head pipe. I got my Muzzys in the summer of 08. Merlin's 09 has only one bung were it y's together. My question is that the bungs are 8 or 9 inches from my heads but most air/fuel gauges say 16 inches:confused: Can you tune it this way or do they have to be 16 away. Or do they recomend it just for the life of the sensor?? It sure would be nice not having to weld new bungs in..Can any body help me on this??
yes...someone can help you with this...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wildcat.

The '09 is fuel injected, so not really a need for indiviual O2 readings for each cylinder like the '08 that has carbs and jetting to deal with.

You should be able to tune just fine where the bungs are located on your pipes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have my sensor in the rear bung cause I have a gauge in my dash all the time. When you are tuning the 840 you will want to tune the front and back cylinder individually. It doesnt matter if its a 08 or 09. Be glad you have two bungs. Im running the Muzzy Pro and it has two bungs for that exact reason.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Teryxpilopt , I know the 09 is fuel injected but we will be building a good map for his MSD that will match his FST840 stage III cams & Dasa 38 mm throttle bodies. Same with my 08 tuning is everything! You cant go with a standard setup. Every bike is different. The only true way to get the BEST & SAFE performance is to do it right with an air/fuel gauge to dial in each cylinder.

·
Registered
10 Posts
bungs

Yeah you definetly need bungs in both cylinders because the rear cylinder will scavenge off the front causing it to run lean especially on a 08 model you will have to build a custom plenum with a divider in it to keep this from happening.
Whats up TJ

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
Yeah you definetly need bungs in both cylinders because the rear cylinder will scavenge off the front causing it to run lean especially on a 08 model you will have to build a custom plenum with a divider in it to keep this from happening.
Whats up TJ
That's right but we had a 08' that ran a 240 in the front and a 205 in the rear. The 09' melted the intake side of the front piston from running lean. The tunner said it was spot on taking the reading from after the two pipes come together. :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts