Teryx HQ banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when designing or building a cage for a utv what are the basic important aspects. Is a v bar in the windshield area important? What about cross bracing in the roof area. I understand trianglation but how much is enough for a utv that will not be raced. Mine will only be dune and trail ridden. I plan an adding an aluminum roof so how important are the other items thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
when designing or building a cage for a utv what are the basic important aspects. Is a v bar in the windshield area important? What about cross bracing in the roof area. I understand trianglation but how much is enough for a utv that will not be raced. Mine will only be dune and trail ridden. I plan an adding an aluminum roof so how important are the other items thanks.
The aluminum roof will trap heat in and make a lot of noise.............:eek::eek:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never heard that. I guess it makes sense but here in Az and Ca no top will be killer. I might look into a soft top then. What do you think about soft tops.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
I was really considering an aluminum top, however, several people have told me that they are loud and quite franky not that convenient to remove (which really did not bother me) One thing that I recently started to think about was the heat factor. Not only to you have the outside heat being absorbed into the mental roof and then be radiated from there, you also have the heat from the motor being trapped under the roof.

I was going to put the metal roof and doors on, and then I really thought about it and it seemed to me that I would be turning it into an oven.

With that said, I will likely go with skeleton doors, and then the canvas roof. MotorsportHQ I guess is making roofs out of this fine mess type material. I am sure they will pop in and explain a little more about it as well as their thoughts on the metal roofs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have never heard that. I guess it makes sense but here in Az and Ca no top will be killer. I might look into a soft top then. What do you think about soft tops.
I had to take my OEM top off the noise was driving me crazy! I am playing with some soft top options. Black is a really bad option for any top, unless your in the Arctic.:eek::eek: The black to radiates heat and engine noise echo back and forth. I don't mind hearing th grown of the V Twin but not everything else. Maybe I don't hear it on my 700V with the Yoshi pipes :D:D

Anyway there is lots of talent around here I sure the will be many top options!:)

·
Registered
164 Posts
On my 4 seat Rhino, I have an aluminum roof. It was powder coated black and rattled like crazy. Then I had it done with Line-X. Looks good and is very quiet. Didn't notice any extra heat radiating.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was kind of my thought. I own a small portable bed liner business. We have done numerous sand car floors and rock crawlers and I was thinking of doing the inside of the roof. I am not sure but today I am going to talk to a lady who makes the soft tops.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Metal Or Soft Top Roof

There are many diffrent options on roofs but most of you are correct with the aluminum tops, they do rattle and do trap and radiate heat. They are even worse if you put a full windshield on the front...you need to have some airflow to keep cool.

We do carry a sunbrella type soft top that is canvas in a few color options or a black mesh that will breath very well. It is attached with Velcro so it is easy to remove and hose of if you are cleaning it. The mesh is a 90% so its alot like tinting your windows in your car or sunscreens on your home windows. It allows light to come through but not enough to feel like your on fire and it doesnt give you the closed in feeling like a metal roof would.

Putting some type of Rhino lining on your roof will allow for more heat to be reflected off the surface and keep it from feeling hot and the extra materal will provide a buffer for the rattle. The trouble with any roof is how to attach it to your cage...most people use Zuse Fasteners wich are easy to put on and are quick to release but they do rattle if you are not using some sort of pad between the metal sheets and the cage.

Once again, if you are racing around on a track or course that has objects that will come through the soft material you will need somthing to keep that from happening...if you are just crusing the dunes...well ...keeping the sun out is more important.

Thanks

MSHQ

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What are the prices for a soft top both types? How long will it take to make a top? Let me know thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What are the prices for a soft top both types? How long will it take to make a top? Let me know thanks.
The tops go for 325.00 and are avail in Black,Tan,Red or Blue canvas or a black Mesh.
They run about 1 week out for manufacturing for a customer specific cage.
We stock tops for our cages here at our store.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
That my friend will only work on the factory cage :)

However, a nice addition to the Teryx Camo LE!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 4 seater soft top on my car it looks great and makes no noise.I paid 250.00 for it at HIDEZERTFAB.COM I bought a bunch of other stuff at the same time so your price might vary.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Every soft top I ever owned got trashed on the trailer sooner or later....we build aluminum roofs on 99% of our cages we use a very good foam tape on all the tubes between the tubes and roof its made by au-ve-co products 50 feet on a rool 3/8 wide 5/32 thick sticky on one side part #4850 its the best ...in arizona it can be bought at space age paint our roofs are always tabed with 1/4 20 bolts... in arizona the lighter color the top the better as for more noise we have sprayed them with rubber undercoating, cover the inside bottom with material like carbon fiber to match seats, spray on bedliner ect ect
remember the soft top when you put it on the open trailer.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tops

The purpose of a Top is to keep the sun off of the driver and passengers. Soft tops are great if they can be removed for travel. Some companies use snaps or some other method to attach them to the cage itself...we use a 3m velcro so it is easy off and on. If you left our top on the unit it would stay put but the 85mph wind would cause it to strech a little. With our velcro closures you can have your top off in 2 min and you dont have to worry about it till you get to your destination.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
I have a question about your 4 pass cage; is there any increase in overall height? I can hardly squeeze my machine in to my garage as it is...
Hey my friend, I run their cage and from the floor to the highest part of the cage I am 76 3/4" tall...now keep in mind I run a long travel and am likely a little higher than you. In that case, from the top of the bed side to the tallest part of the cage I am 33 3/4" high.

Hope that helps :good:

·
Registered
8 Posts
awesome! looks very close to stock height. I currently have the optional plastic top on mine and I have to disconnect my automatic garage door to get it in. w/o the top I will lose approx 2". Every bit helps. guess its time to start saving for the cage... Which I noticed most fabricators indicate is not for safety of passengers in the rear? do you feel confident that this cage will actually protect your child riding in the bed based on its construction? Just looking for opinions... I don't expect the fabrication companies to make this claim personally, liability reasons.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Honestly, with the type of riding I do when I have passengers in the back, I am comfortable with the design of the cage that they will be safe in the event we roll.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gage Height

I have a question about your 4 pass cage; is there any increase in overall height? I can hardly squeeze my machine in to my garage as it is...
The back of our cage is at stock height but we rake the front to keep it from looking to boxy. If you need it to fit into your storage facility we just need the measurements and we can work something that will fit with no problems. We have lowered cages before for toy haulers and such.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts