Teryx HQ banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the can am has what is called a rotax motor. Is this right. Is it related to the rotax motors that are in the see do water craft? I have a freind that has worked at a yahmaha dealership for 22 years. My boss was in the market for a water craft and was told to stay away from any see do water craft because the motors are not worth a shirt. He said they are great at first but in time go to shirt. I stopped by a water craft repair center and asked his opinion as to which ones were the best and again another person said the see do rotax motor is the one that has the most problems. So what i want to know is, does the can am have the same type off bad rotax motor as the see do??? I know John Natally raced honda 450r 4 wheelers and was a champ for years and i know who built his motors. He the got sponsored by can am to race there 4 wheeler and ask the same guy that built the honda motors to build there can am motors and he did. But he can not keep the built can am motor together long. He can make them fast but they dont last. Any comments

·
Registered
106 Posts
My dad has some sea-do pwc that he bought new in 97 we have beat the crap out of them ever since and never have had a problem with the engine. They still run great. As far as I know the rotax is a solid motor and would love a new can-am.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
I had a Can Am Outlander 800XT...that quad was a BLAST...800 FI motor layed the wood...I would have no problem buying a new Can AM and to be honest I am slightly jealous...:(...hopefully Kawasaki has something in the wings...:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rotax builds brp's egines for sleds, sea-doo, atv's, and spyders. Had a sea-doo sportster jet boat . Engine was great... even after the.ex girlfreind sunk.it!!!!! Still hit 60 with one passenger. Had several ski-doo sleds. The 800 cc mills don't last. But talking two.stroke. rotax makes a stout engine for.sure,..... but i got.to.say the.sleds left a sour taste. Oh well. My two cents.

·
Registered
99 Posts
sea-do 951 motors where junk they sucked water in the motor because this motor was laying down so when got water in the motor compartment and turned a certain way they sucked in water.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
I know a lot of Rhino guys running Rotax motor without even the slightest issues. Cannot speak from personal experience though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
They can am's have awesome engines. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about there 800cc engine other than a bit thirsty. Other than that it has hang on power. I'd like to see Kawi step up and make a sporty looking ruv.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
They can am's have awesome engines. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about there 800cc engine other than a bit thirsty. Other than that it has hang on power. I'd like to see Kawi step up and make a sporty looking ruv.
I would say Kawi don't have to far to go, I think the Teryx is a pretty good start, I don't think they are going to roll over and play dead for Can Am. I think Kawis research and developement matches anyone and they for sure have deep pockets, If they want to be out front I think they can make a serious run at it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know a lot of Rhino guys running Rotax motor without even the slightest issues. Cannot speak from personal experience though.
What do you mean rhino guys running rotax motors

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alot of the race Rhino are running Rotax engines, they make a kit that has every yhing you need to do a swap from Rhino engine to Rotax direct bolt in but you will need to get off your wallet
So where are these rhino guys getting these rotax motors??? Are they out of the 4-wheelers like the outlander or renagade?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
So where are these rhino guys getting these rotax motors??? Are they out of the 4-wheelers like the outlander or renagade?
The April/May issue of UTV of Offroad magazine had a whole feature section on this, just go to rotaxyourrhino.com and there is a complete forum of all the ins and outs every thing anyone would need to know. That issue in UTV was great article, but yes I think the engines are coming out of the outlander and renegade 4 wheelers, that article said people were buying used bikes for the engines, buying the conversion kit and the selling what was left of the bike and their old Rhino engine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There's a Renegade motored Rhino running around my neck of the woods and when it can keep from shredding axles (3x as bad as a stocker) it runs great!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts