Teryx HQ banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to going out on my Teryx 650 and where I live I can drive on dirt roads for miles up in the hills. I sometimes worry about breaking down which would be a big inconvenience for someone to come and help me. What items do the rest of you carry on your side by side for extra safety while out in the back country? So far I have a set a metric tools, two spark plugs, slime with electric pump kit for tires and a tire patch kit.

The other thing I noticed on my 2008 Teryx that it is very hard to read the gas level using the slot under the seat and if I take the gas lid of I find it difficult to really see how much gas I have in the tank. I ran out of gas a couple weeks ago just as I was driving up to my house. Did they improve this with a real gas gage on the newer units.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Teryxs are 750, yeah 09 on up have elec. guage on dash. I ride the Northwoods so probably different stuff in the box- GPS on dash, wrenchs and sockets, hammer,hatchet,chainsaw,bottle jack,spare tire,tire plugs and compressor,snatch block for winch,tow strap,flash light,lighter,380 auto and spare clip (full), 4 gallons of gas, ect. ect. oh and dont forget the cooler.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply I was starting to think that most people just go with nothing but some gas and a few dollars in their pocket.:) A cooler is a great idea. I live in the desert and water is something I should take more of. I don't know what normally breaks down on these machines. I guess that is why I am interested in what people take with them. I see spark plugs are on your list along with tires and jack. I am adding a flashlight to my list also because there are allot of abandoned mines in Nevada.

OK I don't take a rifle of pistil as there are only snakes and few lizards the coyotes are hardly ever seen during the day. But you mentioned North country. I grew up on Montana so have and idea of why you would want a gun. I am going to put a few of these things you mentioned in my Teryx along with a lighter. Thanks for your thoughts.

I was wondering is some people even take a spare drive belt but I would hate the idea of changing the belt out in the back country.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Belt

Yeah the belt gets a little involved, took me two hours in my shop. Tow strap! Almost forgot tool for removing all those plastic rivets, made one out of a small wonder bar--works great.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Some good ideas.. extra gas, food, water, and I always carry a gun.. not for snakes or lizards.. just for my protection from the two legged critters..:catfight2:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Renderman, if you are in Silver Springs, Nevada (where I am) extra water or coolant is always a good idea, its often a long ways to water. I carry a couple gallons of fuel, small tool kit with compressor and plugs, first aid kit, tow strap and a handgun! Been here a very long time and many snakes I have found out on the trails slither, but some walk on two legs ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I am thinking about carrying extra gas as I find it very hard to see how much gas is in the tank. I tried again yesterday and for the life of me I cannot see the gas in that little slot under the seat and have to have a flashlight to check inside the tank lid. I could light a match and take a look but was not sure that it would be safe.:)
A first aid kit is a good idea. I have the small electric pump that came with the slime tire kit. And I have some tire repair plugs. I do have a fear of being stuck somewhere where no one could help me unless they have a four wheel drive. Glad for good cell phone reception in this area.

Lobo very nice to hear you are in the area my wife and I just moved to Silver Springs about four months ago. I have been to Churchill Butt and the other side with the towers which does has not name on Google Earth. But have been up Ramsey Road to the mines. I don't find two many two legged snakes out on the back roads. :) I did find some cross country bikers in the back country but they seemed harmless.

As far as guns my father who is now passed away when in the army took care of the guns and when he got out he never wanted to see another one. So I was raised without guns for the most part so never think about having one. But It could be a good idea.

·
Registered
126 Posts
A couple other items I have on mine is a CB Radio, a spare tire/wheel mounted on the back cage (have destroyed a rim in the rocks), and an extra 50' spool of cable for the winch with a snatch-block.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Spot gps transponder if you wander a long way off the beaten path. Sends an email to whoever you set it up with. Gives location, time sent, etc. a lot of trappers use them up here, could save your butt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is so much tec stuff these days hard to keep up with it all. Ok I did look up info on this GPS transponder and this certainly would be a nice addition for a carry item. Looks like they start for around $100.00 Maybe for Christmas.
:) I think everyone has giving great suggestions for carry items. Hard to take everything mentioned but it gives me an idea off the essentials.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Where are you guys putting all that gear, my box is taken up with my two big Ridgeback dogs lol

Gil. from the pacific norhtwest

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well you have yourself quit a problem with those dogs :) I was thankful for the suggestions given on this topic. About two days after someone said they carried a jack with them. I loaded up my small jack in my rig. A week later I was out in a wash and a large rock caught under the belly on my rig and rolled as I was moving forward and my Teryx was up in the air with only one wheel touching. It only took a few minuets to jack it up the Teryx and pull the rock out. After this event I was thinking it would be nice to have an army shovel. Ya more stuff. :laugh:

I also have two dogs and have to decide what items are the most important to carry. I put some tool boxes on the the sides of my back dump bed. Which carries tools, spark plugs, matches, flashlight, I am still trying to figure out where to mount my spar tire but in time it will be on top of my roll cage.

Have fun with those dogs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Most of the above plus Duct tape, wire,assorted nuts and bolts a small set of jumper cables, a kolpin 3 gallon flat can. I moved my battery all the way to the back under drivers seat which gave me room for a bucket bag full of tools etc under the seat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts