Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just added a dynatek cdi on my stock teryx and here is the questions....after i test rode it on the open highway...my top speed is up to 60 mph on the factory speedometer....and seems quicker from a dead stop...and then today i rode it a little more and tried another top speed run...i hit 60 kindly quick and was hoping for a 61 but then it cut out like it was running out of gas but i had a half of tank..i slowed back down to around 50 and kicked it back down and it started to stutter like it was running out of fuel....any ideas what might be the problem?air filter is clean also.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Hmmm interesting...could be a problem with the unit, I will let Todd read this and give his ideas since he has tested a lot more than me.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Yeah I would like to hear what Todd has to say. Bet he can tell you what to do for sure he is the man.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i would to hear from [THE MAN] and see then before i go back to factory cdi.could it be the jetting?

·
Registered
75 Posts
i just added a dynatek cdi on my stock teryx and here is the questions....after i test rode it on the open highway...my top speed is up to 60 mph on the factory speedometer....and seems quicker from a dead stop...and then today i rode it a little more and tried another top speed run...i hit 60 kindly quick and was hoping for a 61 but then it cut out like it was running out of gas but i had a half of tank..i slowed back down to around 50 and kicked it back down and it started to stutter like it was running out of fuel....any ideas what might be the problem?air filter is clean also.
That is the rev limiter. And i'm not talking about the stock rev limiter. The way the Teryx is geared, that is all it will do without modifying the sheave or gearing.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea i understand that it is geared low but why is it acting like its running out of gas and then misses even when around 50?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I have not idea!! Gotcha!!

I don't think it is the rev limiter. Not sure on jetting, it should do it everytime if it was jetting.

Bad CDI possible.

Fuel filter, possible.

If you know anyone close who has another CDI then try it.

I think you guys have too much faith in me, it will set me up for failure!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the unit only has 450 miles on it.....the cdi has been on there for about 15 miles.i will have to wait until a frind of mine gets his cdi before i can swap them out.i will do more testing this evening.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Todd sorry for all of the pressure don't want to see you fail. You are just so dang knowledgeable that we tend to lean on you for your help.

·
Registered
75 Posts
yea i understand that it is geared low but why is it acting like its running out of gas and then misses even when around 50?
I think I misread your original post. Low 60s is all it will do for mph due to gearing. I thought you were describing an issue at that speed, and it would repeat when running it up from 50. My bad, I see what you meant now that I re-read it.
No magic bullet answer for that one.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it never cut out at top speed tonight but did act funny while i was idleing around on some slow paths like it was running out of gas or something ...it would start to die like it was running out of gas ans then i could floor the throttle and it would take off fast..im going to keep my factory cdi with me just in case..

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i found out whay is happening on top end miss now...its blowing oil in the air box and causing it to miss...i need to figure out a fix for this soon.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i found out whay is happening on top end miss now...its blowing oil in the air box and causing it to miss...i need to figure out a fix for this soon.
This is very, very common on this engine family. It happens on the Teryx, Brute Force, and V-Force.
There are many ways to go about fixing it.
The first thing is to get the engine breather out of the airbox. High performance engines never have the crankcase breathe into the airbox. Kawasaki did this to meet Federal and California emission requirements.
Here are few of the common ways to "fix" this issue.
1 - Oil level, don't fill it over half way on the dipstick. And, when checking the oil, do NOT thread the dipstick in, just "dip it"
2 - Route the engine breather into a chamber of some type to allow the oil to accumilate and then drain back into the engine. This can be done with a variety of products, purchased or home made. Many people use a Yamaha YFZ breather box. The chamber, regardless of type, gets a breather filter on it at the top. Usually the breather chamber is mounted as high as possible.
3 - Add a 2nd vent to the engine. People often add an additional breather to the rear cylinder head. This involves drilling hole in the engine somewhere and should be taken apart to be done properly.
4 - Shorten or modify the internal rubber breather tube inside the engine. Kawasaki sent a memo to their dealers about this mod for the V-Force. Some engine disassembly required.

I just put a Teryx engine back together after having the cases split and am trying something new on the inside to prevent this issue. If it works, i'll let everyone know. I don't want to mention the details now as it may not work.

Hope this helps!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts