Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the EPI and the Dalton clutches the only ones available for the 08 Teryx? What's everyone's thoughts on the EPI?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have the complete dalton and love it with my 840 bbk!! Really was the finishing touch to my build. I tried the EPI 60 wieghts in it with the dalton springs it was a pig!! Not sure if the EPI springs wouldve made a difference or not or if they work better on a stock motor but with my 840 it killed it!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Are the EPI and the Dalton clutches the only ones available for the 08 Teryx? What's everyone's thoughts on the EPI?
fiver all I have done so far is have the stock clutch cap machined for higher top end and changed the secondary spring....really cheap..helped butt not lighting quick.....I say dalton full kit if you want the full kit...

·
Registered
199 Posts
fiver all I have done so far is have the stock clutch cap machined for higher top end and changed the secondary spring....really cheap..helped butt not lighting quick.....I say dalton full kit if you want the full kit...
You want to your clutch up to match your peak HP;make the engine rpm hold this position till shift out;then only a small amount of over-reve will continue till it approaches rev limit;you want gearing and rpm capability to be totally in before you hit rev limit;allow at least 200rpm;hitting rev limiters are hard on motors

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just ordered the CDI. My buddy has been trying to get me the FMF for like 4 or 5 weeks now. They're always on backorder (but not taking back orders).
I figure the clutch would finish it all off, but you think I should try just going with the machined cap? What secondary spring did you go with?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I would go for the full Dalton kit too. The EPI is a Brute Force kit with different weighted fly weights while the Dalton is a whole new design for the Teryx and the big difference is less belt heat with Dalton over EPI.

The other thing about the fly weights is the curvature, it really engages quickly and really puts the power to the ground plus less belt slippage thus less belt wear.

Getting only the stiffer secondary spring will aid in hill climbing and dune climbing though.

Todd

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks unleashed, thanks Todd.
Now if I decided to try the machined cap and secondary, am I going to end up spending the $300+ later just to go with the Dalton because I want more? How much more will I get from the Dalton over the machined cap?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Differences

Thanks unleashed, thanks Todd.
Now if I decided to try the machined cap and secondary, am I going to end up spending the $300+ later just to go with the Dalton because I want more? How much more will I get from the Dalton over the machined cap?
Top speed wise you will not gain anything. The difference in the Dalton is the weights and the primary spring which changes stall speed and enguagment curve and the cap is a nice billet piece. There is a total of over $400.00 difference in price for wieghts primary spring and billet cap. We dont sell weights because we haven't found what we feel is a performance gain over stock and we don't change the primary spring because we don't want a higher stall speed. Dalton is a quality product that works great. Our kit has been tested on stock and slightly modified The Unleashed UTV kit is simpler and less exspensive with similar benifits. I am in the process of building a standard bore motor kit and with that we may make some changes to our clutch kit for the additional hp but we must test first.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have been running the Dalton Clutch Kit and OD cap in my 08 and I mentioned that after installing it I would never run without a Dalton Clutch Kit and OD cover again. My latest belt has over 100 hours of HARD CORE riding on the factory Kawasaki Belt and we just checked deflectiona bout a month ago and it was 7/8 which is a great tension for me. Thin secondary shim out from day one.

I will receive the Dalton Clutch Kit and OD Cover for my wife's 09 TODAY! The Dalton setup is the only way I can make belts last with her driving the machine. Also looking forward to disabling the KEBC on the 09 when I do the install. After running the 08 for about 6 months without the KEBC, it is really annoying on the 09 and makes it clunky as hell when crawling around with all the gear lash, can't wait to disable it.

For me, the Dalton kit/cover lets me allow other people to drive my machine without them toasting my belt which is priceless. It IS that good of a setup, the whole package. It also very important to KNOW that the key to making belts last on the Teryx is how you drive it, especially with the stock clutch.

Also in real world driving, the OD cover may not beat a speed limiter in H on an 09, but it sure does add at least 5+ MPH top end in L which is a lot more important to me than going 70 in H.

**EDIT - FedEx just got here, looking forward to the install.

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
i am like the OP, kinda torn by the kits out there. you have the epi, the dalton, unleaseds kit, and vent racing. i want to figure out what will be the best option. if one of the cheaper options will work for now but then fail in say a year or so, then i have gained nothing. but if the cheaper kits will work and help out with the low end, then duh, its cheaper.....

·
Registered
668 Posts
I would go with the VF-Johny clutch, but once you do, the only adjustable thing is the spring...so IT IS NOT for everyone. I am going with the stage 2 mod from him, more on the low end side. That is just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
i am like the OP, kinda torn by the kits out there. you have the epi, the dalton, unleaseds kit, and vent racing. i want to figure out what will be the best option. if one of the cheaper options will work for now but then fail in say a year or so, then i have gained nothing. but if the cheaper kits will work and help out with the low end, then duh, its cheaper.....
If you are trying to decide on clutch kits then look really hard at the Dalton it is the only kit that I know of that addressed the belt heat issue that using Brute Force parts causes.

Besides it is the only one that is adjustable for what ever you might do in the future you will always have the right clutch kit.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I just bought my second Dalton. I have over 150 hours on my first and I LOVE it, 50 hours+ of it was with my FST STD Bore kit installed. Absolutely ZERO belt issues since I installed it. No way would I even think about any other brand. You get what you pay for.

Plus, you get AWESOME customer service. If you have an issue, you get to talk to Dale Dalton the owner and CEO of Dalton Industries he does his own tech support that is second to none. I have learned from experience that in the ATV business, good customer service is rare and very hard to find for any price. I reward the few good companies I have been able to find with my hard earned money and I tell people about my good experience with them. In the business I work in, R/C Helicopters and IT, companies cannot get away with treating people poorly and not supporting what they sell, or not knowing enough about it to be able to. Companies that treat people poorly are out of business in record time. In ATV/UTV's I guess there are enough customers to enable poor customer service from a LOT of companies but in this economy they better be stepping it up. It is sad when you have to find a good forum like this one to see who you can actually feel safe buying from. I am very happy I found this site or I would probably not still have the first Teryx, much less a second.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Top speed wise you will not gain anything. The difference in the Dalton is the weights and the primary spring which changes stall speed and enguagment curve and the cap is a nice billet piece. There is a total of over $400.00 difference in price for wieghts primary spring and billet cap. We dont sell weights because we haven't found what we feel is a performance gain over stock and we don't change the primary spring because we don't want a higher stall speed. Dalton is a quality product that works great. Our kit has been tested on stock and slightly modified The Unleashed UTV kit is simpler and less exspensive with similar benifits. I am in the process of building a standard bore motor kit and with that we may make some changes to our clutch kit for the additional hp but we must test first.
Hey Unleashed, I really liked your response here. You could have stated yours was better because it was yours and not explained it! This was very professional and i appreciate that. I get tired of companies bashing others because they are trying to sell something to make a buck. I'll keep you in mind for my next purchases.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyway this clutch kit can be installed without $130 in tools (clutch puller and spring compressor) to do it?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Anyway this clutch kit can be installed without $130 in tools (clutch puller and spring compressor) to do it?
But you will need to buy the spring compressor anyway or have your dealer take out the thin shim from the secondary or no matter what clutch kit you put in with, at least with the Kawasaki or EPI belts, after 20 or so hours the belt is going to be to loose and out of spec and subject to you may need a tow home.

I prefer to have the tools I need to get the job done. Not sure it was 120 though but if it was, I used the tools again today and they worked great.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you order the Dalton kit bundle from Hunterworks you can it with both tools for $435. You can also add the over drive plate to that for $174. I don't know if that is cheaper or not. I haven't really priced these things yet. I am going to be getting one before too long. I figure I will have about 20 hours after my next ride next weekend so I am going to have to pull the shim after that so I might as well do it then.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If you want to see exactly how the tools work, check the Dalton clutch install videos, part #1 shows taking apart your machine and using the puller. You will also need air tools to make it very easy and fast.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I saw that video and your's both. But for $90, I'd rather fab a compression tool myself. I'll buy the puller.
My time isn't free, but to fab a compression tool and save $90 is worth more to me then spending $90 when that could get me 1/8th closer to a Muzzy or whatever.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts