Teryx HQ banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what the compression specs are on an 08 Teryx?

Also, FST if you are there, can you send me pricing on a standard bore kit complete to Utah?

Thanks, i think i burned up my rings and just want to get some test and contingency info.

Thanks,

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
Can someone tell me what the compression specs are on an 08 Teryx?

Also, FST if you are there, can you send me pricing on a standard bore kit complete to Utah?

Thanks, i think i burned up my rings and just want to get some test and contingency info.

Thanks,
With forum discount it's $801 plus shipping and exchange on the cams.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone have the specs on what the compression is supposed to test out at?

Thanks, and FST, are those in stock?

·
Registered
62 Posts
The manual says warm engine thoroughly, then crank with throttle wide open for several revolutions, when gauge stops rising stop and read. Compression should be between 36-66psi or 251-456 kPa

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!
One more questions then. If by chance the sleeves are bad also, what would be my next option?

840 Kit?
How much are they currently?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Your gonna spend about 1500 if you are doing it yourself and having FST do the cylinder jugs. If you are getting a shop to do the install, add another 800 to 1200 approx.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, a little history.
Went to check my oil last week before the trip this coming weekend. and was down almost a quart..........not sure how that happened, but I know I checked it the ride before last and it was fine. The Air filter was pretty clogged as well.

My Dad is a mechanic, and was pretty sure I had burned up the rings....took it apart (STUPID [email protected]#$%^^^& PLASTIC FASTENERS) Did a compression test and everything was up to spec. We checked inside the plenum and the carbs and there is no sign of any grit or wear. I am going to change the oil and run it hard this weekend to test it out.

Any thoughts are welcome, and yes it was stupid not the check the oil much more frequently, i think it has to do with getting the camping an riding gear for my wife and three kids ready instead of babying my machine like i did in the past.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More INFO

Ok,
Took the Teryx out this weekend, after cleaning the air filter, and changing the oil. The levels were perfect, and the rig ran great......however, got it home and there is once again no oil on the dip stick.

The air filter is clean and dry, My dad followed me around all weekend, and never saw any smoke.

What is going on, what can i check first?

Thanks,

·
Registered
516 Posts
Mine had the rear engine seal leaking where the rear driveshaft output is! Not leaking really bad but did have a steady drip. Have warranty so took it to the dealer to check out, they ordered and new seal, took it in a week later and good to go. Only 50 hours on mine when replaced, oil did go down a little after a few hours of riding before going in for seal but was still showing on the dipstick. Was down maybe a cup or so (250ml). Just an idea???

·
Registered
668 Posts
Have you done any other mods to the airbox? Really weird can't find the source of the leak.
Dumb question from me, is you coolant level consistent and stays the same?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Coolant level stays the same and there is no leak....nothing on the skid, floor, and it did this in about 8 hours of riding time?????????

Weather was cool, and the thing ran great, Could I be getting blowby past the rings?

No mods to the air box at all.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Could I be getting blowby past the rings?
If that were the case then there would be smoke, and not just a little, if no smoke...as you said....then your airbox should be full of oil, only 2 place I know where the oil goes if it is blowby. I would assume you would have other issues if it was blowby. You said compression specs were in tolerence limits, this is perplexing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree, I just went out and checked again.

1. Oil was changed and filled about 8 riding hours ago.
2. Air filter was cleaned and changed same
We did a compression check and it came back on the mid-lower side of the spec, but it was cold that day
3. We saw little to no smoke at the dunes in those two days.
4. There is no visible oil leak to the ground.
5. Air filter is a little dirty as to be expected after a weekend at the dunes, but dry and in the air box is dry
6. Power seemed to be very good the whole weekend

*7, there was one time that it seemed like it was running out of fuel (coughing and sputtering at full throttle) Checked and blew out the fuel filter and it ran good again.

8. Spark plugs looked to be the right color
9. I am running amsoil 4 stroke oil

Questions:
a. It only has like 2.2 quarts in it, would a slow ring blow by cause that much smoke?
b. Could the oil be going into the something else, trans, etc?

I just do not want to burn up the crank, or get stranded with my family in the mountains. But i don;t want to throw money for new rings, pistons and a rebuild if I don't know the cause of the oil loss.

Any Suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
62 Posts
This might be a bit of a stretch because I don't know the history of what oil you have used all along but I have seen it happen first-hand on my Harley I have owned for 13 years. I switched oil brands from what I always used to a full synthetic oil.... it burned it, and a significant amount of it (one quart in 5 hours of riding). I was in a panic... I switched back to the synthetic blend I had always used prior to that and the oil consumption stopped.

FWIW.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts