Teryx HQ banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked and the overflow was full when it was new. After a day of riding with the family everything seemed fine. I took it out on a harder ride with just me I was cruising along at about 35mph on the sand highway and the temperature light started to blink. I slowed down to about 20mph and and after maybe 5 minutes or so it stopped blinking. The next day I checked the overflow and it was empty. I added distilled water to the full mark and we went for a few rides and when we came back the overflow was empty again. I haven't ever gotten the high temp indication again. We were done riding for the weekend when I saw it empty again for the second time so I haven't got to fill it and see if it would go empty again. Anybody else experience this on their new Teryx? I am hoping it was just some air in the system. Since I can't get my hood off with taking off my whole four seat cage I was just barely able to get the radiator cap off and dip my finger in it and with my pinkie I could touch coolant. :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes I had the same problem, mine was eating coolant like it was goin outta style. I never got a solid answer from anyone at the dealership as to why it was doing that.Wish I had an explanation for you

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sure hope it is not like my Rhino is right not. I either have a blown head gasket or cracked head.

I would just take it back to the dealer instead of figuring it out myself.

Todd
I hate having other people work on my stuff. If it was just a head gasket I would rather just do it myself. I really hope it was just some air in the system. I only refilled it once so far and that is only like maybe two cups of water. I hope it didn't get too hot when the temp indication started flashing. I think I saw it right away because I kept looking at my speed and slowed down to like 20+ mph right away and was just cruising and it was like 70 degreas out. One other thing I know I have seen some Teryx with a little screen over the radiator. Do they all have that? I am wondering if SDR took mine off for some reason.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah once I have a chance to dig into it I am sure I will be able to figure it out pretty quickly assuming there is a problem and the thing just didn't have air in the system. I can just do a leak down test to see if it is a head gasket. The hardest part will just be getting at everything to do the work. I am not looking forward to taking that bed delete four seater cage off. The whole cage and back seats and doors and everything come off as one unit. Now I wish I would have taken this thing out for one trip before having all this work done. The power steering I got from you works awesome by the way. Nice being able to drive in the dunes with one hand on the wheel and your drink in the other hand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
the boys took the heads off mine last night it also was burnning water had been hot 1 or two times because of MUD got 4 bent vales maybe more

·
Registered
668 Posts
The power steering I got from you works awesome by the way. Nice being able to drive in the dunes with one hand on the wheel and your drink in the other hand.
:confused::confused: What??? :confused::confused: Looks like power steering is getting added to my list of upgrades...:D Drink in one hand and steer with the other, my idea of of nice afternoon ride..

You guys are not making me feel very good about my situation.
My teryx did not have a screen in the front either, low coolant is a serious situation.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK I think I might have gotten lucky. I decide to get out and unload the Teryx from the toy hauler and take a look at it. First, I said I had never seen coolant leaking. Well low and behold when I go to take the Teryx out I see some coolant on the toy hauler floor. :eek: Believe it or not this actually made me happy because it gave me a lot more less evil possibilities for my problem. So I start ripping the thing apart, can't believe how much crap you have to take off and then you can still hardly get at the motor. So I am seeing coolant on top of the skid plates on the drivers side of the motor. I start looking from top to bottom with special attention to where the heads meet the block. Everything looks clean and dry. I finally noticed that it looked wet where the drivers side coolant hard line in the tunnel connects to the soft line right next to the oil filter. The clamp didn't really feel loose but I was barely able to reach down and get on it with a 1/4" drive 8mm swivel socket with a long extension and snugged it up a little bit. I flushed the area with some fresh water and started it up and let it run until the fan came on and I couldn't really see any leaks. I did see some small traces of coolant in the pan but I am hoping that is just some seepage from the corners with the engine vibration. I refilled the overflow and am letting the engine cool down right now and I will go back out and check it out again. I really hope that is all it was. I just saw the high temp indication that once and I eased off and within about 5 minutes it went away so hopefully I didn't cause myself any issues there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts