Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have non. programmble cdi, HW jet kit and Muzzy exh. I am at 5400 ft elev. I have it set up w/ 142 in the front, 144 in the rear, needle in the 1st position, and the fuel screw is at about 2 1/2 out. It runs pretty good and I pulled the plugs, they are brown so I think they look how they are supposed to? My question is how do I tune out the decel popping?
Thank You for you help!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not try the air screw yet. I can not seem to find a exhaust leak. My stock and Muzzys
were both having this problem.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may have to buy one. Do you want to rent me one?
Do you know what the stock pilot # is?
Thank You

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hate to say it...but I KNEW that was where this thread was going!..:D..A/F TODD!!:D!!

I kept hearing him talk about the A/F meter...and doubting Thomas here did not believe him. Well, I am no longer an infidel, and I don't see how "I thought" I was tuning before.... fact of the matter is I was way off.... and anytime I do any mods or carb changes on my Teryx and other ATV's...I will be there with my A/F meter to tune those carbs. Found out either my hearing sucks or my tuning skills suck, oh and I was converted by HW.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I would not mind letting you use mine but I use it too often to lend it out. Like Teerible said, once you get one you will use it more than you think and you will be spot on. Very hard to diagnose a fuel problem when being rich and lean can cause the same result. Example, get it too lean and it misses and when you get it too rich it misses. They are different kind of misses but unless you deal with it alot they both sound the same.

Hard to know what to do when this happens and the gauge will tell you in minutes. Not picking here but if you had one, we would not be still discussing it, you would have had it fixed and enjoying your new toys. Don't get me wrong, I will help you until the cows come home but I know how frustrating stuff like that can be.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Todd, do you have one in stock? How much? How long to get it to AZ?
Do you know what the next size for the pilot is? Do you stock those?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I use the NGK I got from Todd and a WEGO III I got from Muzzy's that does graphing which is really nice to ride then go back and look at to fine tune. Either one will get the job done, in fact I have both installed on my machine right now just waiting on a fuel pump hat will hopefully be to MR Motorcycle on Friday.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have not had a chance to tune yet. When I do is it best to figure out the front main jet first, and the put one in the rear that is 4-5 numbers larger? Example Front 144, then rear 148,150?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If you go by air/fuel ratio they probably will be the same but you want the rear cyl to run slightly richer for a aid in cooling.
+1

Exactly what I have experienced as well. I am following Todd's advice nad running the rear about 1 to 2 points lower on the AFR in the rear as well. Right now at 175F 180R with good results. These are Keihin jets not DJ jets.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank You. I will let you know how it goes when I get a chance to tune. Maybe this weekend.

Magellan, How do you like you clutch kit. Is it worth the investment, if I don't have a motor kit(840) ect. Right now I have a cdi, HW jet kit, and muzzy's.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts