Teryx HQ banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any deer hunters here? Looks like we will be putting in for down in Tucson this year...not sure why, but that is my understanding. This will be my first time hunting with a rifle (have bow hunted) so I am looking forward to it...now to find a rifle :good:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well I'm not from down that way as I'm up here in Oregon. I've been deer, elk hunting most of my life. I hear a lot of big bull elk are taken out of AZ. I wish I could put in for a hunt down that way but I keep spending my money on toys! :)

Good luck and keep posting about your hunts.

·
Registered
207 Posts
PA Deer hunter here...........

Good luck Diesel. What's the average size (wieght) of the deer in AZ ? I read that you get some pretty long shots in the open country . Have you picked a caliber yet ? My family prefers the 7 mag here in Pa. Too many hunters to take a chance on some one else tagging it if you don't drop it instantly. If your ever up this way let me know. We could combine a ride and hunt.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there, not too sure, never have hunted in this state, well except for dove. I need to start doing some research to see what we have going on here. I am thinking 30.06 but have not made a firm decision.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Please excuse me if I ramble , but you hit on one of my passions(firearms). It ranks right up there with the Treyx . If I may , you'll need to find out the area (terrain) you'll be hunting. Wooded- 100 yards or less shooting distance. Open- 100 & beyond . Up to your marksmanship skills . The 30/06 is a very good all around caliber out to about 250 yards. After that you'll have to adjust for hold over. Distance will also dictate your optics (scope power). Whatever caliber you chose , play with a couple different bullet wieghts and brands of ammo over 100 grains. You'll find as I have with all of my firearms , that they will tell you what wieght & brand of ammo they shoot best. My 26/06 would'nt shoot under 2in groups at 100yds with a 117gr bullet I prefered. I switched to Winchester 90gr expanders and can now group 1in at 200yds all day. The gun told ME what it wanted . Best of luck to ya . Sounds like a nice trip.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No rambling at all, glad to have your experience here!

This rifle will be mostly for open shots 100+ yards. I would like to think I am quite experienced with firearms and can keep a pretty decent grouping. Once I choose the weapon, you are correct, I will have to experiment with different rounds.

A good example of this is my H&K USP .40, not a huge fan of the Hydra-Shok rounds, however, my Springfield loves them.

You are exactly right, you do not choose the round, the weapon does.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Good to see some one that understands how finicky guns can be. Only other suggestion that I can think of would be a range finder. I started using one for groundhog (marmotts out west ?) hunting years ago and don't go hunting without it now. Speaking of our previose subject. The 7mm I use is the Browning with the BOSS attachment. It works perfectly when dialing in any grain bullet I choose to use. Would be really usefull if you end up using the 30/06 caliber. If I remember correctly , it has bullets from 90 grain up to 220. Anyway , hope we get to see some pics of a succesfull hunt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts