Teryx HQ banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I spoke to Lonn over at Thunder Products (makers of Dial-A-Jet)

I have to say, with my limited knowledge of carbs, the kit really sounds promising. They do in fact have a kit for the Teryx and I am really tempted to give it a try.

Installation sounds like a breeze and I really like the adjustability that I would have going up into the higher elevations. One thing that we did discuss is the initial jetting, Lonn explained that you would want to have your jetting just about perfect, then back off two main jet sizes, then install the dial-a-jet. Being that the Dial-A-Jet is injecting more fuel, if you start out jetting correctly, you will then run too rich becuase of the extra fuel from the Dial-A-Jet.

Thunder Products - Performance carburetor and clutching for snowmobiles, motorcycles and ATVs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Cool, thanks for the research. I know that dial-a-jet has been around a long time, and the adjustability would be great.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem, that is what it is all about!

That is what I am thinking as well though, the adjustability for altitude seems like it could really be beneficial :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
That's why I will make that my first option. Set it up with the stock set-up, then put CDI and pipes on. Should be able to adjust the dial a jet up one or 2 and be right on. Don't ya think. then with Todd's carbkit and lid with a couple small holes would make it a tireripper.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very possible...like I said, it sounds like a great idea, I just do not know anyone that has used one. But in talking to Lonn over there...it does make sense.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Oh, ask Lonn if they have any reports of problems with rough ground. That is the only problems that I have heard. A Guy on a Brute Force said he took his back off because of this. Duning or slow trail exploring wouldn't matter, fast fire roads or rough trails might create a problem.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do, I will report back.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have heard reports after putting one on my yfz that in dusty areas they can get dust into the system causing major problems. I know they work good on Harleys not sure I am convinced yet. Keep us updated.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I spoke to Lonn...and shared some of the concerns brought up.

In regards to dust getting into the Dial-A-Jet, he explained that when propertly installed with the snorkle kit, this should not be an issue. Machines used in dusty conditions should use the snorkle kit to avoid dirt getting dirt into the Dial-A-Jet intake area. He mentioned that though is dust did enter it, it would likely just clog that intake and in turn make the machine run rich.

To his knowledge there has not been an issue of dirt getting into the carbs, they include a tool to make the hole in the carb boot and the Dial-A-Jet needle is passed through there, creating a tight o-ring type fit.

He is supposed to be sending me a dirt wheels article about the unit, which I in turn will share with all of you.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Read the article again. They claim to reduce the jetting on a stock machine (a 400 EX is what they used). I'd put the pipes on and then install it. The questionable item now is about changing the needle. The Dial a jet might not make up for that need.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes you are correct, it should be jetting properly for the mods that are on the machine, then backed down two needle sizes.

Honesly, I am not here to promote the product, just here to discuss it. The idea is excellent for those in variable terrain, therefore, just trying to get information out there and have a discussion.

Lonn is very cool, if you have questions, he will answer them without hesitation :)

·
Registered
526 Posts
So do i need anything like that on a 09 teryx if i go to higher elevations. From what i have read i dont think i need that since i am fuel injected.

·
Registered
780 Posts
So do i need anything like that on a 09 teryx if i go to higher elevations. From what i have read i dont think i need that since i am fuel injected.
no, you dont need it. the FI takes care of everything for you. From my searching, it doesnt seem like too many people recommend the kit, but waiting to see if anyone here replies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts