Teryx HQ banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking to see what the consensus is. Do you always wear a helmet, sometimes, never?

What dictates if you do or do not?

Just trying to get some discussion going on here today.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Helmet

Absolutely Yes! For the type of riding adventuring we do it is a must. I run an open face Shoei with a PCI intercom / radio /ipod system and it works awesome.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes,mostly. Sometimes just putting around the yard maybe not,but in general,yes. I have lots of helmets around,but I keep a simple open face helmet that is easy to put on sitting on the seat,....just so that it is easy to do.

..mostly because on a side by side it is too easy not to.

The other thing that too often gets neglected on side x side s is not puting on the seatbelt. I dont even start it up without it. When we had the prowler test vehicle here I flipped it on its side real easy by a dumb mistake and my kid was with me(hanging from the belt ) and all was fine. I was only moving slow too.

people hit logs and stumps and go through the from windshield area steadily on these things. Two weeks ago a local woman jumped into a rhino to go for a little ride with a young fella with no helmet and never put a seat belt on locally here. A simple roll onto its side when the guy spun around to turn on a dirt road....she fell out and the roll cage on the rhino broke her neck when it hit her. A woman about 30.....her husband had died of cancer two months ago...I feel bad for those teenage kids with no parents. Too many people go for a quick spin around innocently on these side by sides and flip them,I'v done it...and not going fast always,simple dumb incedents. You can read about thousands of these if you want to look into the class action suits against the rhinos.

·
Registered
255 Posts
When Im puttin with kids in back I usually dont wear a helmet (kids do) and we always are buckled up! When Im out blasting through the woods I always wear a full face helmet!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I haven't ridden mine enough yet to develop any habits, good or bad. But, from what I've read & what those of you who know have said on here, I think I'll make it a habit to put the brain bucket on & buckle up too. I still have to remind my wife way too often to buckle up in the car or van & it's been a law for several years in Wisconsin. Sometimes we're slow learners.:(

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Honestly I do not, however, the riding we have done has not really been anything to write about.

When the build is completed and I take it to the dunes or for fast riding in the desert...then likely yes I will have a helmet on.

Always at the very least I put my lap belt on, however, any off-road riding I have my 4 point on.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Do sunglasses count as a helmet? Well...I guess NO. I usually always wear some sort of safety glasses or googlies...care for my eyes...not my brain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
when ridin on the trails yes but ridin my trail across the street frm ma house i dont cause its not wide enough and big enough to go fast i take my friends in there and sometimes go in there to watch the deer

·
Registered
59 Posts
I never do when in a side x side, but always always do when riding my quads. Also nobody including myself is aloud in my terror-x without wearing the harnesses. I also know too many and have seen too get killed or seriously injured for not wearing a helmet or even belts. This is a very fun but very dangerous sport/hobby.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Well I say I wear 1 about 50% of the time. When it is a nice trail ride with the wife and kids no but if I am haulin or serious rock crawling yes. I think in the dunes it will be a yes also.

·
Registered
241 Posts
When I'm on the Fourwheeler and riding with friends always, around the house and in the woods out back just sight seeing, no. So far on the Teryx I have'nt, but I really have'nt taken it anywhere very extreme yet. I do wear my seat belt always and anybody who rides with me does too. I have thought about it and a helmet is probably a good idea when we take it to West Virginia or Brimstone.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quick easy rides - NO! Any other times than YES! Just too hard to not put foot to floor and go. Nearly always wear helmet though. It's always those "...just a quick ride!" or the infamous "...just one more time then we will go!" Those are the ones that always hurt!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nope, Wear sunglasses though. I can't drive it fast enough in rough terrain anyways, my controls aren't quite up to snuff yet. And most of the time I'm just putting around anyways. Basically the reason why I got it. If I take it to a public trail, I will just because it's required. I didn't get this to run 100mph through the woods, or pasture like I used to on the quad, even then I didn't wear a helment...:eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts