Teryx HQ banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 08 teryx, my belt sqeals when sitting still. it has 40 hr`s on it. dealer checked belt deflection and said ok. they said this is common. i can put in neu. and it stops. any help or adv. appreciated. thanks,

·
Registered
47 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me for the first time a couple months ago. A member responded and said as long as the deflection is good don't worry. He said his has done it for a couple hundred hours with no problems. It is annoying, though, huh?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mine has done it since new . Sitting still in gear . Now has 165 hrs and running strong . I shift into neutral when sitting and it will go away .

·
Registered
339 Posts
Most dealers along with most other people checking the belt deflection are only guessing since in most cases they are not putting the correct amount of tension on the belt when they take the measurement, nor do they plan on taking the time to calculate what shims need to be taken out or installed.

Almost everyone will tell you to take out the small shim and leave the big shim. Did everyone know that there are 5 different shim thicknesses to get the correct belt deflection and that a simple calculation of the shim thickness vs belt deflection will give you the correct number everytime?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Most dealers along with most other people checking the belt deflection are only guessing since in most cases they are not putting the correct amount of tension on the belt when they take the measurement, nor do they plan on taking the time to calculate what shims need to be taken out or installed.

Almost everyone will tell you to take out the small shim and leave the big shim. Did everyone know that there are 5 different shim thicknesses to get the correct belt deflection and that a simple calculation of the shim thickness vs belt deflection will give you the correct number everytime?
Well said...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well I tore my 2 month old, 17hr. 08 teryx with a 37mm belt deflection apart (what a joke). I installed an EPI clutch kit and belt from UTV Crap, a Hunterworks overdrive cover and ordered some secondary clutch shims from Kawi to get my deflection right. Well, I started out on the primary clutch with the new EPI fly weights and spring. I then got to work on the secondary clutch and removed the thin .25 shim and installed the new EPI spring. I found the best way to remove and re-install the cogs is with a pin magnet, pulled right out, slipped right in. I re-installed both clutches onto the machine and had 27.05mm deflection. I wanted as close to 22mm as possible. Pulled back apart, removed large shim which is .55 and went with 1- .12 shim and 1- .35 shim. Reinstall both clutches and checked belt deflection again now had 23.81mm. I am happy with that. I have a little squeal stopped in gear but very little. I agree, get the full shim kit when adjusting belt deflection!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts