Teryx HQ banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i made a dumb mistake, and let some friends we were camping with take the Teryx for a spin (dumb...I know but I am trying to get them hooked) and they left the park brake on.

Now when i try hit the beast's park brake, it goes almost to the floor before it engages. And then it barely holds on.

What do i need to do to fix it?

Is it associated with the front, or rear brakes?
Is there an adjustment cable?

Thanks,

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
My friend, I am not a mechanic, however, I have heard of this happening before. Your rear sealed wet brake is toast. You will need to have it replaced.

Sorry for the bad news...that brake is kinda out of site our of mind...I know I have forgot a few times, but never drove with it on. I am now in the habit of just pulling the lever as soon as I get in.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AWE DAM.....

It is the Wet Brake?

That sucks.

Is that a do it yourself type job?

Any input anyone has would be great!

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
I do not know how complex the job is to replace that wet brake.

Do you have access to a service manual?

·
Registered
193 Posts
The first Teryx I drove was a test drive at the dealers. I was unhappy it did not preform better. At the end of the 'test'...discovered the emergency brake was on. I wonder who they sold that Teryx to?

I've been thinking of a light...a bright one....dead center in front of the steering wheel, since it's far to easy to leave it on. Just not sure how to hook up.

Somebody come up with the details on how to make that worth. I'm not smart enough. I think it would be a very worthwhile mod.

·
Registered
293 Posts
just put a cover over the gear shifter that says"TURN OFF THE PARKING BRAKE",then when they turn it off they can flip the cover over and go to town!

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
While yes these ideas can help in the future, problem right now is that he has a rear brake that is burned up. My friend, all you can do at this point is ask your friends, how good of friends are they ;)

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
What would be nice is if they made it like a golf cart. Once you step on the gas, the e-brake automatically releases.

·
Registered
10 Posts
While it may be likely that the brake is "toast", maybe it's not. The cable adjustment is really easy to make, if your parking brake pushes all the way to the firewall.

Standing on the driver's side, tilt the bed backwards. With your left foot, push down the parking brake while looking under the bed and you will see what moves (I am tall). There is a thumbscrew adjustment to shorten the cable and it's easy to make once you've found it. I suggest you try it before replacing the wet brake entirely. You have my sympathy!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input, and condolences.

I am going to see if there is any adjustment to be made. Also, if the parking brake is burned up, will it affect the rear braking performance?

Thanks,

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think that, if the wet brake is ruined, your braking will be altered - after all, it's the rear brake! If your brake pedal seem to work OKay and the Teryx responds without any different lurching or excessing stopping distance, you may be OKay. Don't give up hope yet.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I looked at the manual and the parking brake and wet brake are one, worst case is you put a couple of hundred miles worth of riding on the brake. If there is no noticable noise coming from the brake when you use it, I would change the differental fluid right away and readjust the parking brake.
Not to be a downer, but riding with the parking brake on didnt do your belt any favors either. I've seen on prairies and brutes where the parking brake was on and over heated the belt. We always change the differental fluids every six to seven rides, you'll be surprised to see all the clutch fibers and metal filings that come out. I've had my prairie since 2004 and have never had a problem,oil and fluids are cheap compared to a trip to a dealer. Good luck and hopefully no real damage was done.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have also left that emergency brake on . After awhile I saw the little light on the dash and just about had a stroke!!! I just couldn't believe I could do that. This is a very bad problem, if you ask me. I did smell a rubber smell when I finally shut her down. My heart was in my throat......How completely stupid!!!!!!! Just wanted to kill the gumball that designed it, since this shouldn't have been able to happen. Though it is my fault after all. Have mercy on all of us numbskulls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
See, worst case is they maybe went 5-6 miles with it on. And the Brakes seem to work well.

Could it just be out of adjustment?

I will look into it more tonight when I get home.

Thanks,

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, Dropped it off to get a Custom Cage made.....just ran out of time.

I will check into it and let everyone know........it seems that there is just nothing there when you step on the park brake, but the regular brakes see to work right.

Weird.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts