Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have an idea on an exhaust for the Teryx.

First off no offense to the Manufacturers or resellers on this site, but $800-900 for an exhaust is............can't think of the right word. I also see that the slip-on's add nothing but sound aka noise.

What would be the negatives of an aftermarket header kit to add the performance, and then fabbing that up with an automotive style muffler, and a really cool tip?

Benefits:
Sub $300-350
Significantly quieter than aftermarket full kit
It would look sweet
It would be a good option for those of us that can afford a std bore or big-bore and want the added HP, but not the sound.

Negatives:
Will be bashed by the "Muzzy" owners
Will be bashed by the resellers
Still $300-350 for 2-4 HP
Results not guaranteed

Thoughts, bashing and opinions welcome and expected :wave:

Thanks,

·
Registered
983 Posts
No bashing, but here you go ...... Making equal length stepped headers for the Teryx ... THAT ACTUALLY PERFORM is no easy task. Its not just bend up some pipe and slap it on. You will not make more HP then the Muzzys by doing that. Good luck.Not to mention if it was that easy EVERYONE WOUDL BE DOING IT and making HP. I could go on with more, but not sure tha tyou want to hear it? Not sure how much time you have on your hands? Or how much your time is worth? but it will also take a lot more then a few hours to fab up a correct fitting set up pipes .... thats if you know what your doing and have the equipment to do it. So with that being said if you do make something feel free to send it to me and we will dyno it to see how you did ....

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ok, so I have an idea on an exhaust for the Teryx.

First off no offense to the Manufacturers or resellers on this site, but $800-900 for an exhaust is............can't think of the right word. I also see that the slip-on's add nothing but sound aka noise.

What would be the negatives of an aftermarket header kit to add the performance, and then fabbing that up with an automotive style muffler, and a really cool tip?

Benefits:
Sub $300-350
Significantly quieter than aftermarket full kit
It would look sweet
It would be a good option for those of us that can afford a std bore or big-bore and want the added HP, but not the sound.

Negatives:
Will be bashed by the "Muzzy" owners
Will be bashed by the resellers
Still $300-350 for 2-4 HP
Results not guaranteed

Thoughts, bashing and opinions welcome and expected :wave:

Thanks,
I think your a little behind the curve on this idea. Check out the Teryx exhaust that Alba Racing designed and sells. Maybe your idea is different.???

·
Registered
430 Posts
Tough Task

What you are perposing is truly a tough task. I personally agree that all 4 stroke exhaust complete systems are way over priced if you're looking at material cost only. Once you have developed a performance mod your self and see the equiptment cost and development cost of producing such a product you will begin to understand the retail cost of these products. The retailers don't get rich with this stuff either with the competion and the economy your "very" lucky to make 20% to 30% percent on these products and it gets tough to pay the bills on that kind of margin. I tried to develop a shorty intake for the Rhino 700 and after many hours of dyno testing we made 1.5 hp and the product wouldn't work for the average guy because it would have to stick out the the engine cover. That little round of test and development cost me around $3900.00 and nothing to sell for it. I am sure Muzzy and the other brands mad lots of different pipes before they came up with something that works, at a significant cost.

·
Registered
339 Posts
That little round of test and development cost me around $3900.00 and nothing to sell for it. I am sure Muzzy and the other brands mad lots of different pipes before they came up with something that works, at a significant cost.
+1 to that.

I can tell you that we spend countless hours developing products and in most cases make several changes to proto-types trying to get them to work. It sucks when you spend a fortune only to find that it will not work or is not worth selling. I for one would never sell a product that I didn't believe in and would not use on my own equipment.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Thank you for testing guys.
Now back to work. I need an intake system for 41mm FCRs.:laugh:

Seriously to the developers of these products. :clap: Thank you. I know its a relativelty small market of specialized users. You all keep me broke.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I expected this.....I have found a vendor that currently sells a complete kit, that will sell me just the headers. My time is worth a lot more than trying to do it myself. I would buy the headers, and hire a fab shop locally to add on the muffler.

I don't consider myself behind the times, as I am on here to learn more about how to make my Teryx better, but it is also my responsibility to take care of MY MONEY. I will check out the Alba kit in a few minutes.

For that matter I have spent money with Dasa, Hunterworks, Muzzy, UTV Crap, and Four Stroke Tech in the last 3 days.

I appreciate good products and the work you guys do. It comes down to value, and currently $800.00 in a Dollars/HP is just not a good value. That is not saying it is not a good product.

Lets put it this way. Lets say i can get $800/4HP = $200 per HP
If I can do it another way for $400/3HP = $133 per HP

That is a better Value for me at this time.

Thanks,

·
Registered
74 Posts
LOL...I see nothing wrong with the guy wanting to try it out...... Its easy to see he scares the hell outta the vendors on here.

Imagine, the guy get his hands on a buddys Muzzy system....copies the tube diameters....and puts the system together to near identical muzzy specs. He then posts a "look what I did" thread, and cuts the vendors out of their profit....LOL.

I mean really....it aint rocket science to copy another system for a reduced price...really. VW flanges will work and its fairly easy to make a set of equal length headers...... Hot todders have been making them for years in the auto world. Get you a couple free flow pipes.....cut em down....whatever you have to do and check it out !

Get real guys......hes got a point, they are too expensive.....

Copy the header dimensions.....get a couple free flowing compact pipes.....or, two HMF's from basically any big bore model.....make the brakets, and I know he would see improvement !

It aint about the money vendors....its about ingenuity....wich is what America was founded on.....LOL.

And it aint copyright infringment either....as long as he dont sell it...... They have done the hard work for you,.....copy copy copy.....Let the flames begin :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
LOL...I see nothing wrong with the guy wanting to try it out...... Its easy to see he scares the hell outta the vendors on here.

Imagine, the guy get his hands on a buddys Muzzy system....copies the tube diameters....and puts the system together to near identical muzzy specs. He then posts a "look what I did" thread, and cuts the vendors out of their profit....LOL.

I mean really....it aint rocket science to copy another system for a reduced price...really. VW flanges will work and its fairly easy to make a set of equal length headers...... Hot todders have been making them for years in the auto world. Get you a couple free flow pipes.....cut em down....whatever you have to do and check it out !

Get real guys......hes got a point, they are too expensive.....

Copy the header dimensions.....get a couple free flowing compact pipes.....or, two HMF's from basically any big bore model.....make the brakets, and I know he would see improvement !

It aint about the money vendors....its about ingenuity....wich is what America was founded on.....LOL.

And it aint copyright infringment either....as long as he dont sell it...... They have done the hard work for you,.....copy copy copy.....Let the flames begin :)
everyone has valid points. However my time is worth more than 100 per hour in my opinion. So with that being said, could I have a exhaust copied, make all mounting hardware have it usfs forest approved and not have it screw my engine up in a 8 hour period.....naw not worth the liability. However if you have more time than money on your hands it could be worth it just for having done it. I dont have the time.... I love my muzzys...oh I love her muzzy tooo ha ha...Just stay with the stock tubes and put a diff muffler on ...call chris at hrt he has experimented on his teryx.....call him you wont be dissapointed...also dasa knows what he is talking about...my 03 cents...

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Hot todders have been making them for years in the auto world.

:)
How did I get dragged into this? And thanks for calling me Hot!! LOL!!

I say go for it. I am all about making something yourself and if it works then cool. I know you won't sell it, after you make one you would want $2000 for another one.

My roll cage cost me twice as much as buying one. I went thru alot pipe before I got it right but in the end I can say I made that myself. You should see my crappy looking welds!!!

Todd

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys are Hilarious.... I am not looking to copy, sell, distribute, Infringe, Maim, rape, or pilage anyone elses ideas.

I look at this as an opportunity for one of you Vendors on here. Make us a Sub-$400 system that will work

YOU WILLLLLLL SELLLLL THEMMMM!!!!!

Seriously, $800 is out of the price range for most people for an exhaust. Yes they work,. Yes those that bought them will defend their decision till the bitter end, they worked for that cash. Of course the vendors that sell them will say there is nothing better.

But, I know there is someone that sees the value in having options. They already have the Header pipes done, those are sunk costs. Add a different, less expensive, Muffler and sell more of those Zillion dollar design headers.

Rant over, but BTW found a clip of the ALBA muffler system........SOUNDS BADA$$, way deeper note than the Muzzy's, and would sound awesome out in the dunes!

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Frankly I find this whole THREAD hilarious and the only reason I am addressing it is because the guy who started it? Whether he realizes it or not...is shedding a bad light on the companies that manufacture the product in question...I have been a business owner for over 10 years now and I always find a bit of humor in how someone who hasn't a single clue about your business (or even running a business for that matter) will find ways for you to slash your overhead and costs so you can then pass the savings on to them and many others...all the while becoming a millionaire because your doing something that none of your competition has realized because they are all to busy counting their ill gotten gains (money)...:confused:

I'm not even going to get into what it costs to run a business...especially when you have product and development resources that MUST constantly be expended in order to stay on the cutting edge & ahead of (or at least even with) your ever expanding competition. There is NO immediate return on this kind of investment...it is simply money allocated in hopes of a product you can get to market with. There's MANY good ideas and inventions out there that have been killed because there wasn't a market or the end product was too expensive for the consumer.

Again I am only addressing this because the question of what it takes to manufacture an exhaust system is on the table. If you are going to call out a manufacture of a product then I think it is only FAIR for you to do ALL the foot work & not just pull prices out of the air & quote them.

So you THINK you can scab together a equal length header system that makes horsepower? I double dog dare you to keep tabs on the whole project. You say you have the equal length headers ready to go? Lets see them because I don't know of ANY off the shelf product that bolts right on to the Teryx and if not then you will have to add in what it will take to finish up a "Weld Up" kit. Found some exhaust flanges that will bolt right on? Give us that info. You think you have a muffler that will work? Get some specs up. You have a way to mount that same muffler to the Teryx? Post up a picture of that. Oh and make sure you keep track of all your time on the phone, the internet and running out to your Teryx with a tape measure to see if your idea will work since that is valuable time spent and I am POSITIVE your welder will charge you for the time if he has to do it.

No bashing or flaming intended. If you really think you can make a better mouse trap then by all means attempt it and post up pics of your proud results. I for one am a "do it yourself" guy and have been in on MANY product development projects for DASA, FuelATV, OMF and Pro Armor to name a few. I have flushed more money than I care to disclose in pursuit of a better mousetrap. I know from the inside what it takes and am just passing along my point of view.

You mentioned "What would be the negatives of an aftermarket header kit to add the performance, and then fabbing that up with an automotive style muffler, and a really cool tip?"

Uhh...what do you think a exhaust system is but a after market header, a muffler and a really cool exhaust tip?...Maybe I am missing something here but that cracked me up...:laugh:

As for the remaining $$$ in question? I really don't have time to get into the financial burdens of running a business because I am late for my first day at work...seems I landed a job with Muzzy following the owner around with a large wheel barrow full of his cash...good news is we need someone to help hold the front end steady because it is overflowing with money so we are looking for another employee...just his way of stimulating the economy...

Edit: Oh yea I forgot...ALBA????...REALLY???...Those guys have been passing on garbage to the end users for years...I'm not going to say EVERYTHING they sell is garbage...but on the performance end?...Thats the true definition of "You get what you pay for"...nuff said...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Frankly I find this whole THREAD hilarious and the only reason I am addressing it is because the guy who started it? Whether he realizes it or not...is shedding a bad light on the companies that manufacture the product in question...I have been a business owner for over 10 years now and I always find a bit of humor in how someone who hasn't a single clue about your business (or even running a business for that matter) will find ways for you to slash your overhead and costs so you can then pass the savings on to them and many others...all the while becoming a millionaire because your doing something that none of your competition has realized because they are all to busy counting their ill gotten gains (money)...:confused:

I'm not even going to get into what it costs to run a business...especially when you have product and development resources that MUST constantly be expended in order to stay on the cutting edge & ahead of (or at least even with) your ever expanding competition. There is NO immediate return on this kind of investment...it is simply money allocated in hopes of a product you can get to market with. There's MANY good ideas and inventions out there that have been killed because there wasn't a market or the end product was too expensive for the consumer.

Again I am only addressing this because the question of what it takes to manufacture an exhaust system is on the table. If you are going to call out a manufacture of a product then I think it is only FAIR for you to do ALL the foot work & not just pull prices out of the air & quote them.

So you THINK you can scab together a equal length header system that makes horsepower? I double dog dare you to keep tabs on the whole project. You say you have the equal length headers ready to go? Lets see them because I don't know of ANY off the shelf product that bolts right on to the Teryx and if not then you will have to add in what it will take to finish up a "Weld Up" kit. Found some exhaust flanges that will bolt right on? Give us that info. You think you have a muffler that will work? Get some specs up. You have a way to mount that same muffler to the Teryx? Post up a picture of that. Oh and make sure you keep track of all your time on the phone, the internet and running out to your Teryx with a tape measure to see if your idea will work since that is valuable time spent and I am POSITIVE your welder will charge you for the time if he has to do it.

No bashing or flaming intended. If you really think you can make a better mouse trap then by all means attempt it and post up pics of your proud results. I for one am a "do it yourself" guy and have been in on MANY product development projects for DASA, FuelATV, OMF and Pro Armor to name a few. I have flushed more money than I care to disclose in pursuit of a better mousetrap. I know from the inside what it takes and am just passing along my point of view.

You mentioned "What would be the negatives of an aftermarket header kit to add the performance, and then fabbing that up with an automotive style muffler, and a really cool tip?"

Uhh...what do you think a exhaust system is but a after market header, a muffler and a really cool exhaust tip?...Maybe I am missing something here but that cracked me up...:laugh:

As for the remaining $$$ in question? I really don't have time to get into the financial burdens of running a business because I am late for my first day at work...seems I landed a job with Muzzy following the owner around with a large wheel barrow full of his cash...good news is we need someone to help hold the front end steady because it is overflowing with money so we are looking for another employee...just his way of stimulating the economy...

Edit: Oh yea I forgot...ALBA????...REALLY???...Those guys have been passing on garbage to the end users for years...I'm not going to say EVERYTHING they sell is garbage...but on the performance end?...Thats the true definition of "You get what you pay for"...nuff said...
Did you even read my post? (No Seriously)

You are like a politician who uses a question as a platform, and then stand up there an lectures that he is smarter, a better business person, cuter, better in bed, etc even though that had nothing to do with the question asked.

Lets use an example from another market:
Lets take Dynomax, or Flowmaster for example, i think they make mufflers and exhaust system :laugh:

They have the Ultraflo SS, and the Super turbo. I would bet you that they make a cat back system that works with either of these mufflers for a Mustang.

WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT? The Ultra flo is by far superior, and costs more right. Hell why does Ford even make an F150, when the F350 Crew Cab Powerstroke is so much better? It comes down to COST/VALUE for the CONSUMER.

That is the challenging thing about these forums is that you get JOE Teryx on here and he searches around for a while, reads a little, finds some good info, posts a questions, and get BLASTED!!

And the funniest part is that the ones doing the blasting are the ones that would love to have 10,000 members on here. You are the experts. You are here to sell and market your products. SELL them, dont just tell me it is a stupid idea, and that if I think i can do it better go a ahead. I would be living in a storage shed if I treated my potential customers the way some of the Forum sponsors do.

Now go back and read my posts. "I am not going to do the work myself"

Love this forum, and I won't be going anywhere, but good grief.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Did you even read my post? (No Seriously)

You are like a politician who uses a question as a platform, and then stand up there an lectures that he is smarter, a better business person, cuter, better in bed, etc even though that had nothing to do with the question asked.

Lets use an example from another market:
Lets take Dynomax, or Flowmaster for example, i think they make mufflers and exhaust system :laugh:

They have the Ultraflo SS, and the Super turbo. I would bet you that they make a cat back system that works with either of these mufflers for a Mustang.

WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT? The Ultra flo is by far superior, and costs more right. Hell why does Ford even make an F150, when the F350 Crew Cab Powerstroke is so much better? It comes down to COST/VALUE for the CONSUMER.

That is the challenging thing about these forums is that you get JOE Teryx on here and he searches around for a while, reads a little, finds some good info, posts a questions, and get BLASTED!!

And the funniest part is that the ones doing the blasting are the ones that would love to have 10,000 members on here. You are the experts. You are here to sell and market your products. SELL them, dont just tell me it is a stupid idea, and that if I think i can do it better go a ahead. I would be living in a storage shed if I treated my potential customers the way some of the Forum sponsors do.

Now go back and read my posts. "I am not going to do the work myself"

Love this forum, and I won't be going anywhere, but good grief.
Oh now your getting nasty...:laugh:...the funniest part is that the longer you talk the more foolish you appear...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

It seems YOU are the one who likes to hear himself talk...my response had EVERYTHING to do with your question...For a do it yourself guy? YES go for it!..I said this...GO FOR IT!!!!!...DO IT YOURSELF!!!!...go back and read my post...do it and post up some pics for bragging rights...

I haven't read anything I consider blasting except your comments:

"First off no offense to the Manufacturers or resellers on this site, but $800-900 for an exhaust is............can't think of the right word."

First blood right there...

"It comes down to value, and currently $800.00 in a Dollars/HP is just not a good value."

Nice little jab...

"Seriously, $800 is out of the price range for most people for an exhaust. Yes they work,. Yes those that bought them will defend their decision till the bitter end, they worked for that cash. Of course the vendors that sell them will say there is nothing better."

Now if that isn't a cut and slash? Then I obviously don't know what one is...:confused:

Now as far as my response?...

"Thoughts, bashing and opinions welcome and expected

Thanks,"

Hey you said it and we obliged...Now YOU go back and re-read MY post..I just layed out what it would take to build a "sub $300-350" system...I don't think you can do it BUT if you CAN?...Then POST UP THE INFO...and quit throwing out unsubstantiated BS...I double dog dare you to start your project...:laugh:

I love these forums also and clowns like YOU are one of the reasons I stick around...I couldn't BUY better entertainment...:wave:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Are you lost? I really hope you don't think you speak for all the Manufacturers/ resellers on this site.

And once again you did not read my Post so I will say it one more time slowly.

I.....AM.....NOT.....DOING....THE....WORK....MYSELF..

I am hiring a "professional" to do the work.

To anyone else reading this. I am not here to bash and get into a gunfight with this dude. I am looking for feedback on why this will or will not work. Please re-read my earlier posts as to my intentions and you will see that all I want is to float an idea for another product offering on this site, I never said I could do it better than anyone else. I do not do that kind of work for a living, but to assume that i don't know anything about running a business is Asinine. You don't know anything about me. but thanks for trying (to look cool)

And to the vendors I have purchased from in the past week on this site (almost $2,000 worth of gear) I thank you for offering good products.

Thanks to Fourstroke Tech, Hunterworks, Muzzy, Vent Racing, and UTV Crap, you guys are great to work with, and I look forward to putting the Teryx back together next week.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Are you lost? I really hope you don't think you speak for all the Manufacturers/ resellers on this site.

And once again you did not read my Post so I will say it one more time slowly.

I.....AM.....NOT.....DOING....THE....WORK....MYSELF..

I am hiring a "professional" to do the work.

To anyone else reading this. I am not here to bash and get into a gunfight with this dude. I am looking for feedback on why this will or will not work. Please re-read my earlier posts as to my intentions and you will see that all I want is to float an idea for another product offering on this site, I never said I could do it better than anyone else. I do not do that kind of work for a living, but to assume that i don't know anything about running a business is Asinine. You don't know anything about me. but thanks for trying (to look cool)

And to the vendors I have purchased from in the past week on this site (almost $2,000 worth of gear) I thank you for offering good products.

Thanks to Fourstroke Tech, Hunterworks, Muzzy, Vent Racing, and UTV Crap, you guys are great to work with, and I look forward to putting the Teryx back together next week.
Lost?..ehhh arguably...I have been called MUCH worse...:p

Speak for other manufactures? Defiantly not...I'm just a squirrel trying to get a nut...

No gun battle and I'm sorry you took it that way or see it in that light...I'm just saying...S L O W L Y ..."You have an idea and want to know if it can be done? Then DO IT!"...HIRE some one..do it yourself...whatever...no bashiing intended...just do it if you think it can be done...just because I don't think it can be done doesn't mean I'm bashing or flaming...chill out...

I don't think it can be done but that is MY opinion...it's worth exactly what you paid for it...NOTHING...so crank one out and lets see the end result...imagine what a hero you will be if it actually can be done?...I double dog dare you...x2...:laugh:

After your done I will guarantee a free dyno run to see if it makes horsepower...I will pay for the dyno time AND shipping...but thats a whole different subject altogether...we just want to see if it can be done...:wave:

·
Registered
668 Posts
I believe two different members on here have fabbed their own muffler systems, chase had done his and I think another member has. I will agree that almost ALL UTV accesories are way too expensive....but I want those things..so pay up....or make them yourself. I think you can have yours made, but I think you will be unhappy with the outcome. Good luck anyway, I support your initiative.
Yes I have muzzy's, and they were well worth the 900 I paid for them.....but that is just me.....call me crazy...:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sandjunkie is taking this WAY to personal....... I found NONE of the statements that fella has made to be jabs at anyone......they are the TRUTH !

NOT BS....the truth !

Nessesity is the mother of invention...... Who knows....he may put something together....throw it on a dyno and find it makes comparable power to a muzzy ! Who knows ! But to cut him short and say hes an idiot, just shows your character.

I guess CHEVY should have never made any autos because ford already had the idea too.........really.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts