Teryx HQ banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
Hey for fun, try to put the stock exhaust back in ;)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey for fun, try to put the stock exhaust back in ;)
Yeah, right... I bet it would be easier than the muzzy system! It was driving me nuts until I glued the exhaust gaskets on the pipe - Getting it all lined up and fitted properly was driving me nuts.

Wrapping the pipes was a whole new nightmare! What a freaking pain, but it should help a lot with the heat, and I am also adding heat insulation on all the plastic panels too. I suppose I should take some pictures :)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Yeah, right... I bet it would be easier than the muzzy system! It was driving me nuts until I glued the exhaust gaskets on the pipe - Getting it all lined up and fitted properly was driving me nuts.

Wrapping the pipes was a whole new nightmare! What a freaking pain, but it should help a lot with the heat, and I am also adding heat insulation on all the plastic panels too. I suppose I should take some pictures :)
I just installed the Muzzy system yesterday. It is a bitch getting the Kawa gaskets installed. Dab of grease is not for the non-mechanic types but it can be done. Did not think of gluing but should have. Love the results so far with the system installed..

You will be glad you wrapped the pipes as it is much cooler in the machine now. Even my wife noticed it was MUCH cooler.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just installed the Muzzy system yesterday. It is a bitch getting the Kawa gaskets installed. Dab of grease is not for the non-mechanic types but it can be done. Did not think of gluing but should have. Love the results so far with the system installed..

You will be glad you wrapped the pipes as it is much cooler in the machine now. Even my wife noticed it was MUCH cooler.
yeah, I had some weatherstrip cement sitting in the toolbox and after the grease not working well enough I just used that. worked pretty good, although I must admit I was irritated that Muzzy did not include the gaskets in the kit. I just used the old ones and they seem to work fine with no leaks.

Yeah, I did the pipes and I also put heat insulation on all the plastic pieces as well, that should also make a big difference, and since it is thick stuff it should also help with the noise too. I'll post pics later :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, I had some weatherstrip cement sitting in the toolbox and after the grease not working well enough I just used that. worked pretty good, although I must admit I was irritated that Muzzy did not include the gaskets in the kit. I just used the old ones and they seem to work fine with no leaks.

Yeah, I did the pipes and I also put heat insulation on all the plastic pieces as well, that should also make a big difference, and since it is thick stuff it should also help with the noise too. I'll post pics later :)
reminder for next time, take it for a run and check the jetting before replacing all the plastic cowling in the cab....

Too rich, I'm at 146/150, both TPI valves open, Muzzy's with the quiet cores and screens. 240' elevation. Guess I'll drop it a couple notches tomorrow. The carbs are much more responsive with the kit in it, and the Muzzy's sound SO sweet! Have a really meaty rumble, without being hard on the ears.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I am rich also at 144 & 146 with Hunterworks Kit.

The Muzzy directions call for 130 & 136.

Where would you guys go? Maybe 136 and 140?

I am also using the screens and quiet cores.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Maybe....some....trial and error time with the screws, if they weren't just such a pain to get to! Need one of those 1 inch tall screw drivers! It was just a thought...so I do not know if it will help any, I would open it up about another 1/2 turn to see.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I am rich also at 144 & 146 with Hunterworks Kit.

The Muzzy directions call for 130 & 136.

Where would you guys go? Maybe 136 and 140?

I am also using the screens and quiet cores.
I'm going to try 140/142 like Todd calls for in his kit and see what that does. That was with just a stock silencer and power tip though... I'm still stuck in the old jet 'er fat and work down method of my 2 stroke days. Of course changing the jets meant a 3 tools and 5 minutes where the Teryx wants 10 tools and 2 hours, but hey...

Maybe dumb EFI with a controller isn't so bad after all... heh ;)

BTW, I'm at 2.5 turns out on the air screws.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'M RUNNIN THE MUZZY'S, DYNA PROGRAMABLE, VELOCITY AIRFLOW KIT AND TODDS CARB/BOX KIT. MY SCREWS 3 FULL TURNS OUT, NEEDLES 2nd POSITION, AND TPI'S WIDE OPEN. SHE'S RUNNIN PRETTY DARN LEAN. OH YEA, MY QUIETS AND SCREENS ARE IN TOO. SO NEEDLESS TO SAY THAT IF I DECIDED TO UN CORK THE PIPES SHE MIGHT BE RUNNIN DANGEROUSLY LEAN. I JUST CANT WAIT FOR TODD TO GET BETTER AND START DOIN SOME DYNO WORK, AND SHOOTOUTS. I'M TIRED OF REJETTING. :confused:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well duh!!!! I was sooo busy trying to figure out how to turn my caps off that i forgot what jets i was running. LOL! Thanks for catching that, i'm running todds 148/150 mains. and i'm around 1550 ft. elevation. I'm used to jetting single carb motors, this v-twin is awesome but seems to be a pain to jet. I will be putting a clutch in soon hopefully which I'm sure will make it run a little leaner also, but i just have not found a good price on one yet.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well duh!!!! I was sooo busy trying to figure out how to turn my caps off that i forgot what jets i was running. LOL! Thanks for catching that, i'm running todds 148/150 mains. and i'm around 1550 ft. elevation. I'm used to jetting single carb motors, this v-twin is awesome but seems to be a pain to jet. I will be putting a clutch in soon hopefully which I'm sure will make it run a little leaner also, but i just have not found a good price on one yet.
yeah that seems very rich, I switched to 140/142 last night but did not get to run it.. It was only running on 1 cylinder so I had to troubleshoot that (front carb came out of the boot...) so I didn't get it all back together to run it last night... Tonight though I will.. I want to beat the heat and head for hate coast Saturday and dune it with the carb kit and muzzy's on it. woohoo!

·
Registered
293 Posts
where did you get your muzzys?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I got mine from Todd at Hunter Works for $700.00. But I got very lucky and replied to his special offer before anyone else did. Thanks Todd!!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok guys. Sorry for not posting sooner. We're in the middle of finishing the Teryx Turbo Kit as well as a number of new engine kits....Stay tuned to muzzys.com.

Anyway, I've heard a number of issues related to the installation of the system and I'm addressing each one in order of precedence. First the gasket issue... we're working on easier to install alternatives. Second, the heat issues... this is not at all uncommon with high performance after market systems. We have provided heat shield solutions and heat wrap solutions. Let me tell you from experience that you can reduce your frustration in wrapping your exhaust if you ask for help. I finally succumbed and the process was much easier. One person guiding the wrap (my wife) and the other feeding it and keeping it from twisting (that was me).

Best Regards,

1 - 20 of 43 Posts