Teryx HQ banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 teryx and it seems everytime i get the exhaust under water it dies. I have muzzy duals on it, but it did the same thing with the stock exhaust. Is the only fix to snorkel the exhaust out. Or am i having another problem instead of the exhaust. Its really tickin me off because its got me 4 or five times now.:mad:

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's not the exhaust, if your getting in that deep you are probably getting the coils or plug wires wet and shorting out. As long as the engine is still running water wont get back in the engine unless its getting in the intake, but if it dies under water you should pull the plugs and make sure it did suck water into the cylinders. So it sounds like your just getting something electrical wet and shorting out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What can i do to fix this other people get theres under water and it doesn't short out

·
Registered
526 Posts
die electric grease all electrical components

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would love to know about your fix. I had the same problem this weekend. I have dragon fire CDI and dragon fire hot coils. Do you think die electric grease on the conectors will fix this or is ther some other trick

·
383 Posts
I would love to know about your fix. I had the same problem this weekend. I have dragon fire CDI and dragon fire hot coils. Do you think die electric grease on the conectors will fix this or is ther some other trick
Grease will solve all your problems. I always run my machines in the water, even balls deep sometimes and have no problems stalling. :D

·
Registered
318 Posts
Do you guys put grease in spark plug boots as well, i have been putting dielectric grease on all connections as i work on my rex but havnt did plugs yet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
eez, yes, you do want the die electric grease in the spark plug boots, I do it to all the trucks I tune up at work to keep water and crap out, and it helps taking the boot back off. I was also thinking that there may be something going on with the carbs, they work on vacuum and when the ehaust is under water it might affect the slides. Mabey some one that under stands these carbs/engines better can chime in on that.

·
Registered
167 Posts
This is an old thread, but this issue hasn't gone away. I have a 2010 and when I get in water up to the seats, mine stalls too.

I was thinking it had something to do with the belt getting wet and the engine over revving.

I guess if it's an electrical issue it should be easy enough to eliminate.

One of the reasons for thinking the exhaust is at fault, is because as soon as the engine stall, the exhaust cools, creating a vacuum and sucks up a bunch of water.

The first time this happened to me, I had no spark, but it would turn over. The second time, the water got sucked all the way back to the engine, and I couldn't even turn it over. We had to lift the front end of the machine up to drain the water out of the exhaust before it would turn over. Didn't take long to start after that.

My wife felt pretty smart that day, because it was her idea to lift up the front end.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Unless you have snorkels if your in water that high its prolly sucking water right in the intake.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My air filter was dry as a bone.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
You need to be careful when you pull water in to the cylinder and you try to crank it with water in it you can do internal damage such as bent valves, you need to pull the plugs and turn the engine over and after the ride change engine oil.

·
Registered
301 Posts
You will have a steam issue without a snorkel when you get deep enough to get the motor/exhaust wet... after it cools off it will be fine but it will stall if you aren't at least over 1/4 throttle with the steam.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You will have a steam issue without a snorkel when you get deep enough to get the motor/exhaust wet... after it cools off it will be fine but it will stall if you aren't at least over 1/4 throttle with the steam.
I run in the river all the time and have the same issue once the exhaust goes under. I have snorkels and I know everything is sealed up good. I don't believe it is electrical either, because once electrical is wet you would have problems for away until it is dry. I don't have any issues starting once the exhaust is above the water. And with running in 32" of water all day you would see the same problems if the exhaust was under or not.

And I know what you guys mean about water in the cylinder once you get it out of the deep water. It has happened to me a few times. If you pull your spark plugs you will find that it is your rear cylinder. (in my case anyways) So that is why I don't believe it has anything to do with the electrical. I have a few I ideas to test my theory and I will keep you guys posted.

·
383 Posts
I agree with this post. When the hot motor hits cold water it steams alot and chokes out the airbow with steam instead of air, causing the engine to stall under low throttle conditions, and to stumble under high throttle conditions. It happens to me all the time high speed riding splashing through puddles will make my engine stumble, but I have no problems crossing deep water. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts