Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a new owner/member. Just bought my teryx after two off my friends bought rhinos and I drove and reviewed both. I bought the machine on a monday and thursday went camping to test it out. After five hours at our camp site my daughter and her friend found out how to shear the steering stem. I soon found out how much of a pita these things are to work on. I had to cut the hood to make any future aftermarket add ons and repairs easier. this is what i came up with. Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used blue tape to mark it off, used a cutting wheel on my dremel to cut it, sanded the edges with palm sander and hand sander, then I went around the edges with my heat gun to make a nice solid edge.

·
Registered
282 Posts
great job!!!! and 2 toilets?????? nice!

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Does the hood move much when you drive?
Did have to put a lip to hold it there or is the rubber on the edge a friction fit?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The toilet is where I do my best thinking and its even better if the project is right infront of u. The second toilet is there just in case I need a second opinion.

The hood doesn't move at all. The foam weather strip sits on the dash\chassis divider and the rubber seal around the cut portion seam to hold everything solid. The rubber seal overlaps the dash piece.

·
Registered
526 Posts
What makes up the hinge hardware????

·
Registered
78 Posts
Your my hero! That is one awesome job.
Any chance you might have more pics of the hinges?
Any chance you might be willing to make some and sell?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1) remove the hood
2) cut 3/4" of the front of the head light mount but dont remove mounts yet
3) weld a piece of 3/4" square tube across the two headlight mounts to attach them together
4) weld a riser off the top of the bumper mounts
5) weld tabs off the tube you installed on the headlight mounts, there needs to be a tab on each side of the two risers, these tabs will have a bolt through them and the riser to make your hinge.
6) cut the headlight mount at a 45 degree where it whys off to the two mounting locations
7) remove the remaining part of the headlight mount from the chassis
8) use the remaining part of headlight mount that you just removed to make a brace that will go from the 45 degree cut back to the 3/4" tube that connect the two light mounts
9) install bolts on your new hinge and install hood too check fitment
10) tape off and cut hood

you will have to trim about 1.5" off the top of stock bumper guard. you will also have to trim parts of the radiator shroud for the risers and where the hood rolls forward.

i will post some better pics of the hinged part of it.

the rubber hood clamps i got on ebay @ 20$
the rubber trim and foam weather strip i got at a local body paint supply house. i think the rubber trim is for a rear sliding window, worked perfect though.

if anyone in az wants help doing it, i can help. then we can take pics of the build. i should have done that in the first place, sorry.

if anyone has a stock bumper plastic guard for sale, let me know. the previous owner cut it for some rigid lights that im moving up to the cage. could really use a new bumper guard.

thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your my hero! That is one awesome job.
Any chance you might have more pics of the hinges?
Any chance you might be willing to make some and sell?
Jaminjer, I suppose you would have to send me your headlight mounts and front bumper frame. I would have to attach it all to mine and make everything, send it back with all the trim, hardware and latches. You would have to cut your own hood, bumper guard and radiator shroud. my cost was @ 75$. with shipping and materials, it may get a lil pricey. it was so easy to do, that even i could do it. Ive only welded a few times and this project required very little welding.

im waiting for the stupid camera to charge a lil so i can take more pics of the hinges.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am at work now. I need to look at my headlight setup to more understand but will do that later tonight. With your instructions and some more pics I will be willing to give it a try. I cut my hood before so it would come off but i think I could still make this mod work. I am amazed that this hasnt been done before. The latches from ebay, did they fit anything particular?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am at work now. I need to look at my headlight setup to more understand but will do that later tonight. With your instructions and some more pics I will be willing to give it a try. I cut my hood before so it would come off but i think I could still make this mod work. I am amazed that this hasnt been done before. The latches from ebay, did they fit anything particular?
i was amazed that no one has done it either. i did alot of looking online to come up with ideas but nothing did what i wanted. i wanted to access the chassis area and behind the dash for any electrical mods that i may add. a friend of mine and i started looking at the thing when i had the hood off doing the steering stem repair and came up with a idea. the next weeking it was done.

going to take some more pics now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The latches from ebay, did they fit anything particular?[/QUOTE]

no. i just searched, " rubber hood latch " and found them. I will look up the seller and let you know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
phelpsaz

What a great idea!!

Do you think I could use this modification with a winch mounted behind the plastic bumber cover?

Thanks

Frank

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
phelpsaz

What a great idea!!

Do you think I could use this modification with a winch mounted behind the plastic bumber cover?

Thanks

Frank
no problem as long as your winch is in the lower stock location. when the hood is up, it doesnt even touch the bottom of the radiator shroud.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts