Teryx HQ banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
interested

Can I buy a new stock piston/ring set and bolt right on to my 08' teryx? My front cylinder has 30 lbs. compression so i am thinking I need a rebuild!! If they are stock and i can replace mine, can I replace just front cylinder? If u know? Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some one might tell you different but I always would rebuild front and back once you get in (new rings at least) Have you checked for sure, you could very likely have a valve issue on the front cylinder, it is very common. It is not likely that the cylinder itself is bad, as valves and rings could either be your problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Before I tested compression I could NOT adjust front valves! What kind of valve issues are very common problem? I know they require adjustment every little bit!! It would be nice to discover a way to get my teryx running without rebuild!! ( $500 in just parts, best i have found so far) +2 bore, wiseco piston/ring set Thanks again for the info!!! Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
I mean I cant get the gaper gauge in between the valve and the post, adj. pin? Where the feeler gauge usually sets the gap! Even after i loosen the bolt, pin and adj way out. The gauge will not go in between where it should! I have adjusted previously and had little problem! Adjusted rear valves no problem! Clueless!! The shop is dieing to get me in there and i cant afford $90 an hour! I put compression tester on spark plug hole and got 30psi in front cylinder... 140 something in rear does that seem correct for rear? I know you cant diagnose from there, thanks for your time!! Dave

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use a real small feeler gauge that has the end turned at a 45* angle, if you have followed all of the steps to get to TDC then lossed the adjuster nut on the rocker arm up until you can slide it side to side, if it is so tight that you can't get the guage in, it is still to much pressure and the valves are not closing all the way and that would deffinitely cause low compression, will it even crank? I am not questioning your work but you followed the steps to get the rear cylinder to TDC and adjusted your valves on it and then moved the front cylinder to TDC and then tried to adjust it is that correct?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have me feeler guages bent the same way!! TDC? ( Piston in the correct spot to adj. valves. according to the mark through view hole, i.e. front or back cylinder) I turn ( counter clockwise) the alt. bolt? to the marker on the flywheel for each cylinder! The front cylinder is notoriously tough but loosen lock nut, way out, and still cant get feeler in!! Someone told me I can remove spark plug and put screwdriver in the cylinder to determine TDC? Can rebuild be done,if neccessary, without removing engine? I guess i will have to pay through the nose to figure it out!! Wish i could afford to, just buy Muzzy 840 kit and bolt on complete set $859 after sending old cylinders!!! Thanks again for letting me pick your brain!! Missing the back roads, Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have me feeler guages bent the same way!! TDC? ( Piston in the correct spot to adj. valves. according to the mark through view hole, i.e. front or back cylinder) I turn ( counter clockwise) the alt. bolt? to the marker on the flywheel for each cylinder! The front cylinder is notoriously tough but loosen lock nut, way out, and still cant get feeler in!! Someone told me I can remove spark plug and put screwdriver in the cylinder to determine TDC? Can rebuild be done,if neccessary, without removing engine? I guess i will have to pay through the nose to figure it out!! Wish i could afford to, just buy Muzzy 840 kit and bolt on complete set $859 after sending old cylinders!!! Thanks again for letting me pick your brain!! Missing the back roads, Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts