Teryx HQ banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Went for a ride the other day and had some problems going from 2WD to 4WD. Usually store my ride in heated garage. Temps here are in the -25 range lately. (that C just to avoid confusion). I tried to engage 4WD the other day after a shorter ride but it took several minutes until it finally took and trying to go back to 2WD after didn't happen until I returned home and she thawed out. I have heard on here namely from Jfillion there can be issues with cables getting water into them this might cause issues. Can someone give me in laymans terms how the 4WD engages. I have not had time to pull the thing apart to see how it functions. As well is the remedy for this to lube cables?
One more quick questions for those of us that ride in cold climates what other issues will I likely see in the winter as the temps drop? My old quad seemed to have the same type of quirks as things got cold but once you knew what to look for its managable.

Thanks for all you help

·
Registered
26 Posts
Cold here too

Noz: I am in ND, push snow in Low and when I select Reverse I have to go to Hi first until it engages, then Reverse works in 2X or 4X. Dealer says this is normal?? Mt 09 Sport is a pig in deep snow unless the blade goes through first.Not much help here since I leave in 4X during winter.

·
Registered
318 Posts
There is a vaccum operated acuator that pulls in when you switch to 4wd which operates a cable that hooks to a lever on the diff to pull it into 4wd, when you switch to 2wd there is a return spring on that lever to bring it back to 2wd. I try to keep cable lubed with wd before every outing ( i dont take cable out to do it just do best i can with it on machine) and also try to keep snow pack out of lever area while riding. Diff lock is prone to same problem and its very easy to stretch that cable if it is frozen and you reef on lever and then once cable is stretched bike stays in partial lock makin it push badly in turns so i just dont use diff lock unless i absolutely have to. This setup is poor IMHO and the rhinos never have problems like this cuz they have electronic actuators and i wish the teryx had was like that:mad: Your lucky, your garage is heated unlike mine so mine stays frozen til i fire up the turbo heater to thaw it out

·
Registered
62 Posts
One issue I had last year was coming from a warm shop and out riding in the snow, we would head into the fishing shack for a bit and then teryx wouldn't start, would turn over real good but no fire. I found after a couple tows back to the shop that my intake snorkel was sucking in snow and coating the filter which would melt and then freeze after sitting at the shack. This year I put some flowrite material(for sled intakes) over the snorkel and has been good.

·
383 Posts
The throttle cable on my 09 is frozen right now. Water crossings in the summer, then parked outside in the tent/shed. Will thaw it out then try and giver some methanol to take care of the water.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a vaccum operated acuator that pulls in when you switch to 4wd which operates a cable that hooks to a lever on the diff to pull it into 4wd, when you switch to 2wd there is a return spring on that lever to bring it back to 2wd. I try to keep cable lubed with wd before every outing ( i dont take cable out to do it just do best i can with it on machine) and also try to keep snow pack out of lever area while riding. Diff lock is prone to same problem and its very easy to stretch that cable if it is frozen and you reef on lever and then once cable is stretched bike stays in partial lock makin it push badly in turns so i just dont use diff lock unless i absolutely have to. This setup is poor IMHO and the rhinos never have problems like this cuz they have electronic actuators and i wish the teryx had was like that:mad: Your lucky, your garage is heated unlike mine so mine stays frozen til i fire up the turbo heater to thaw it out
I did end up lubing the cable after I heard Jfilions problems on here a while back. Still ended up with problems it seems. I guess its the price you pay to play in the water in the summer. LOL Rhinos might have a better set up but we whoop their butts with sheer Kawi power. Its a trade off. I'll take the 750. Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One issue I had last year was coming from a warm shop and out riding in the snow, we would head into the fishing shack for a bit and then teryx wouldn't start, would turn over real good but no fire. I found after a couple tows back to the shop that my intake snorkel was sucking in snow and coating the filter which would melt and then freeze after sitting at the shack. This year I put some flowrite material(for sled intakes) over the snorkel and has been good.
Still waiting to put on snorkle setup by Mud Industries. They sell "armor tips" which have screen built in. Really nice setup. They are actually really good value only like $25 for three I think. Good info tho. I have rear window on the beast and snow does roll up behind the cab pretty good as my kids found out LOL.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Still waiting to put on snorkle setup by Mud Industries. They sell "armor tips" which have screen built in. Really nice setup. They are actually really good value only like $25 for three I think. Good info tho. I have rear window on the beast and snow does roll up behind the cab pretty good as my kids found out LOL.
I just ordered a back window and its suddenly occured to me will this allow enuf air flow for engine to breath?? Do you have any problems?? I wish i knew a way to resolve steam issue on this thing cu i get a lotta steam from snow melting on engine as i blast thru it then it freezes on windshield and beings that i ride alot at nite this is a real problem, i figure those lil 12v heaters suck up alot of juice outta battery and those heaters that hook up to coolant system i cant justify the price for the short season of winter we have. Wonder if anyone has done a homemade one using heater core from a car or something??

·
Registered
167 Posts
I guess I didn't get to drive long enough to find out if I'd have had this problem.... toooo. To be honest, the teryx is a fantastic ride, but the little quirks that I've been having are really starting to get to me. I wonder if all SxS have the same types of problems?

I really like winter, and I damn well wish I could be riding in it this year.

So, ya, I still have frozen cables. I don't have a heated shop to park, so I'm pretty much hooped.

Once I get the cables thawed though, what kind of lube should a guy use in the cable line?

I'm thinking of using a needle to push methyl-hydrate into the cable line to displace the moisture, but I'm going to have to lube the cable after.

Anyone got some suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Can you leave it in an industrial shop that a friend works for the 3-4 days most shops are closed over Christmas and thaw it out?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Can you leave it in an industrial shop that a friend works for the 3-4 days most shops are closed over Christmas and thaw it out?
I borrowed a portable Turbo heater from a buddy and that did the trick, I put some dielectric grease at cable end to try n block water from entering by am thinking that will freeze, will see tomorrow, was using wd to lube cable but that has water in it so no good, looking for a cable lube that wont freeze and a way to keep water from getting in.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I can likely find a place to thaw it out, but it's just going to freeze right away again, unless I can displace the moisture and re-lube the cable.

Need to find out what to use.

Unfortunately most of the people on this site have now idea what it's like to have a forty below winter.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I can likely find a place to thaw it out, but it's just going to freeze right away again, unless I can displace the moisture and re-lube the cable.

Need to find out what to use.

Unfortunately most of the people on this site have now idea what it's like to have a forty below winter.
True Dat brother hahaha

I am in the same boat right now with my 4WD not engaging. Muskeg last fall ids the culprit I'd imagine. I just built myself a plow and can't use it due to the 4WD not working. Gonna have to squeeze it in the shop over night I suppose.

·
Registered
53 Posts
True Dat brother hahaha

I am in the same boat right now with my 4WD not engaging. Muskeg last fall ids the culprit I'd imagine. I just built myself a plow and can't use it due to the 4WD not working. Gonna have to squeeze it in the shop over night I suppose.
Mine is doing the kicking in and out also. Went on a snow ride last weekend and it did it after about an hour of riding. can someone post pics of which cable to lubricate and the spring?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Manual 4WD

I don't know if I found kind of a fix for it on the trail if you need to have 4 wd. If your frozen in 2wd. I store mine inside and of course when I first leave the shop i'm fine until a while into the ride. Just when I want to start put her into 4wd. Its a no go. If you can this works better with two people. I have had luck with person turning swich on and helping lever/spring on front diff. If your stuck out there somewhere and need 4wd this might get ya going. Not the best way but better than being stuck. LOL> For the guys that are as useless at the mechanical side of things as myself it is the lever on the dif on the drivers side. Hope this helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts