2,799 Posts

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
I hear ya, I was right there with ya!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Being retired....I gotta pinch pennies, and can't justify the $160 for it....but, I ran out of gas the other day. I got lucky, it started running bad on the way back...and cough sputtered when I stopped and died. First thought was gas, checked, and I was suprised how dry the tank was. Thought I could go by the odometer....but with all the idling, winching on fences etc that I do, I can't.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
I completely understand about the pinching pennies...hey I wonder if we had several people take hour readings at different levels of fuel and then did an "average" I would think that would get you close enough to judge where your level is by the hour meter?

·
Registered
164 Posts
No way of telling how much gas you have left is a big complaint for me. It would be different if you could actually see the fuel through the white plastic below the seat, but I haven't been able to.

Gas gauge is definitely on my short list of improvements.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've had a hard time seeing the gas too (old eyes & trifocals). Just once can I remember seeing the fuel line with the machine stopped & light conditions just right. It happened to be right in the middle of the sight window. Other times, with more than half a tank or almost empty, I couldn't tell at all how much was left without removing the cap. Until I get a fuel gauge I've been thinking of carrying a small tape measure or something in the glove box so I can use it as a dip stick.....just have to make sure it's clean each time & have paper towel or something handy to wipe it after checking the level. I also read on this or another site that someone was going to see if the old Polaris caps with gauge right in the cap would fit. Anyone know the answer on that?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Back in the day of no fuel gauge for the Rhino someone put some red led lights behind his gas tank and it shined through the tank and you could see good.

Todd
Seems like a HI LED would be a lot easier to install than the fuel gauge kits. Interesting....

·
Registered
121 Posts
That idea of the LED behind the tank sounds easy enough to do if it would show up even during daylight. Where's a good place to find a small red LED & how expensive are they? I imagine you'd have to have a fuse in the line & maybe a switch near the gas tank, & would you want to direct wire it to the battery so as not to have to go behind the dash to the ignition switch. Maybe it could even be left on all the time if it doesn't draw much.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm hoping the '09 teryx will have a retrofit tank sender that will hook up to the LE digital dash segments are not currently being used.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That idea of the LED behind the tank sounds easy enough to do if it would show up even during daylight. Where's a good place to find a small red LED & how expensive are they? I imagine you'd have to have a fuse in the line & maybe a switch near the gas tank, & would you want to direct wire it to the battery so as not to have to go behind the dash to the ignition switch. Maybe it could even be left on all the time if it doesn't draw much.

This is a great site for LEDS Super Bright LEDs

Select LED Color Cool White LUX-B-CWWarm White LUX-B-WWRoyal Blue LUX-B-RBBlue LUX-B-BLGreen LUX-B-GNCyan LUX-B-CYRed LUX-B-RDAmber LUX-B-AMUV-BlackLight LUX-B-UV (+ $5.00)

LUXART LED Module - Black
12VDC Light module with Extremely WIDE 160 degree Beam Pattern, has water tight Black Anodized aluminum housing
Super Bright 1 Watt Luxeon Emitter makes our LUXART Lights suitable for many applications including: Under Car, Amp/Speaker Illumination, Under Dash, Pond, Livewell, ect..
Select LED color
$ 24.95

The one for $24.95 is SUPER bright!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I installed a sender and gauge for $100 in my machine. Granted I used a marine sender that is more $$$ but more stable. You can use a float sender (pain in the @ss to install) and save about $30. In either case your looking at $70 - $100 to add a fuel gauge to your ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i think a $100 is a cheap price to pay for the inconvenience...now the real question is, how hard is it to install?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just installed the gauge and sender in my machine. The install was not hard just a bit time consuming to do it right. Most of the time is spent removing the hood, and gas tank. Again, not hard.

·
Registered
115 Posts
There is a guy on e-bay that sells "fuel gauge caps". I asked if he had ones that would fit the teryx. I told him there would be a big market for them. He went to a kawasaki dealer and got a sample cap to match the threads and diameter. He said he was sending it to his manufacturer(Kelch) to see if they would make it up for him. Problem is it will take about a month to get it done. He will get back to me when its done and I will post it on the forumn.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts