Teryx HQ banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08' and was thinking about putting fuel injection on it and was wondering if it would be worth the time and affort. I have pretty much everything for it I believe, (fuel injection that came off a Brute Force). I have not done to much research on how compatible the electronics off the Brute Force is with the Teryx. Does anyone know the differences and do I need to stick with the carbs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sell the 08 and buy a EFI model, you will come out way better.

Engines are same but wiring harness, intakes, flywheels, stators, pick up coils ignition etc different.
Tod, whats the differance with the intakes, flywheels, stators, pick up coils ignition ? I have been looking into doing the same conversion and these parts looked the same to me?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tod, whats the differance with the intakes, flywheels, stators, pick up coils ignition ? I have been looking into doing the same conversion and these parts looked the same to me?
Some of the research that I have done is on a few of these components and according to a website that gives out Kawasaki part numbers most of the match up. I know the fuel pump is the same because that was the the go or no go factor. At 475.00 bucks I was not going to buy a new one. The fuel tank is differently not the same but is cheep to buy.

What is the big benefit of having FI, is it only throttle response and for cold starts or am I going to see a HP increase? I will post part numbers for a Brute Force and for a Teryx later on these parts.

I don't want to sell my 08 because I will never get what I have into it and I dont want to start all over again. The only thing that I don't like about it is the cold starts, expecially since I live in Michigan. Winters can be a little cold.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
The plenum is different with the tank on the side for the oil breather and the air intake sensor.

All the electronics are different in the motor cause the EFI has to have more resolution meaning it needs to know where the engine is more often than the CDI does.

The whole wiring harness is different and the whole ECU is different as well.

It just cost way to much to do, probably $3000 or so

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Some of the research that I have done is on a few of these components and according to a website that gives out Kawasaki part numbers most of the match up. I know the fuel pump is the same because that was the the go or no go factor. At 475.00 bucks I was not going to buy a new one. The fuel tank is differently not the same but is cheep to buy.

What is the big benefit of having FI, is it only throttle response and for cold starts or am I going to see a HP increase? I will post part numbers for a Brute Force and for a Teryx later on these parts.

I don't want to sell my 08 because I will never get what I have into it and I dont want to start all over again. The only thing that I don't like about it is the cold starts, expecially since I live in Michigan. Winters can be a little cold.
I could be wrong but I thought the 2008 has an external fuel pump and the 2009 has a fuel pump in the tank built on to the pickup and is higher pressure pump for the injecters, according to the Kawi parts look up its a different # the 2008 cost 61.00 and the 2009 cost 445.00, part # or sku for the 2008 is 49040 0025 and for the 2009 is 49040 0041, I think that the main reason the tank is different, and you are right on about the cold starting I have a 2006 Rhino with carbs I hate starting it in cold weather its a bitch until it warms up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I could be wrong but I thought the 2008 has an external fuel pump and the 2009 has a fuel pump in the tank built on to the pickup and is higher pressure pump for the injecters, according to the Kawi parts look up its a different # the 2008 cost 61.00 and the 2009 cost 445.00, part # or sku for the 2008 is 49040 0025 and for the 2009 is 49040 0041, I think that the main reason the tank is different, and you are right on about the cold starting I have a 2006 Rhino with carbs I hate starting it in cold weather its a bitch until it warms up.
The fuel pump and tank are differant, fuel injection is 43 psi and carbs are low presure.You could run an external pump and regulator. What Im not clear on yet is if the crank sensor will fire the FI. it should. Ive converted a 83 toyota 22r to 22re and it used the same distributor, just had to blend in the FI harness with the factory harness. it works fine. The Teryx should be the same. All it should need is a number 1 referance (crank sensor) and the FI computer should do the rest. I have all the parts to play with, just havent had time. It will be a fun project.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
The fuel pump and tank are differant, fuel injection is 43 psi and carbs are low presure.You could run an external pump and regulator. What Im not clear on yet is if the crank sensor will fire the FI. it should. Ive converted a 83 toyota 22r to 22re and it used the same distributor, just had to blend in the FI harness with the factory harness. it works fine. The Teryx should be the same. All it should need is a number 1 referance (crank sensor) and the FI computer should do the rest. I have all the parts to play with, just havent had time. It will be a fun project.
Not true. The EFI needs more resolution so the flywheel has more triggers on it and the ECU counts them and fires say on trigger six and eight where as the carb version is a wasted spark and only has either one or two triggers on the flywheel

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I know by talking to MDS and v force john the 2008 and the 2009 fires different, the 2009 has more pulses per rev and it is fewer tach set ups that work for the 09, I had to buy a pick up from MSD and autometer only has 2 series tachs that will work on the 2009, I was just going to go to Orilley and buy a tach but found out that is was not that simple, the 2008 was simple it had a extra wire of the ignition for the tach, I think I would be like the other guys have said buy a FI Teryx swap out all of your mods that will swap and then sell the 2008, that would be much cheaper than trying to convert most everything would swap unless it had something to do with the items we are talking about and some front bumpers want swap, if you shopped for a good deal you might could make the swap for very little difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
fuel injection conversion

I put fuel injection on my 08 model. It starts easier and for sure has more power. I went from 34mm carbs to 40mm throttle bodies. I figure it would prolly cost about 1500.00 to buy the stuff. You need fuel pressure gauge, high pressure pump, and then you have to add a drain back to your tank. Here are some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kayjay

Did you buy all new components to convert to FI. I have everything off a FI Brute Force do you think it will work since you have went throught it already? I know I will have to change the electrical harness and few others things, just unsure if it is worth it. I think it will be a good winter project.

·
Registered
8 Posts
efi conversion

Just to mention, the only reason I tackled the efi was because I have a turbo ready to put back on it. What I had to buy was 2 throttle bodies w/ injectors, wiring harness, computer, tps sensor, fuel pump/gauge/fittings. You can basicly build your own harness with about 9 wires. The only thing about the stuff that I am using is its a dos based program to map it. At first I thought it wasnt worth it, but in the long run it seems to be better. I wasnt to knowledgeable about efi and it really taught me alot. I would say that anybody that wants to tackle it should go for it. I could always put the carbs back on because I didnt touch the stock wiring harnes at all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts