Teryx HQ banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy giving me a blue top optima he's not using. Can I just put that battery in or will this cause issues with charging & starter?

Brad

·
Registered
282 Posts
run it... you might want to get a trickle charger to keep on it while not in use....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have been running a blue top for about two years and love it... only time I have had any issues is when I leave my radio on all night. Charge it back up and she's good as new... ran that blue top dead ten or more times and it still charges completely...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can someone tell me what the difference is between a trickle charger & a battery tender or are they one in the same? I have neither yet, so I wanna make sure I get what I need.

Thanks!

Brad

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Basically the same thing, if you don't have a charger just buy one that that is versitile, set it on low and let it slow charge every once in a while and then use it for all of your other needs, now some people actually install an onboard battery tender like in a boat that is actually permanently mounted in your Teryx that you just plug an exstension cord to and it slow charges until it is fully charged and it shuts its self off, just depends on your personel prefrence.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks BD. Last question I hope, do you need to take the battery out or can I leave it connected for charging?

Brad

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry i have yet to install it. Been busy with other projects. From what I've seen, it looks like it should fit, conectors will have to be changed/addressed to fit a car battery terminals and find a way to secure the battery. Shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Anyone with this setup have pics to share?

Brad

·
Registered
65 Posts

1. Remove stock battery.
  2. Remove stock battery box.
  3. Go to auto part store and get longer "J" hooks.
  4. Mark spots in floor pan and drill a small hole for "J" hooks.
  5. Cut a piece of rubber the size of the battery and set in bottom to place battery on.
  6. Slip the battery in.
  7. Insert longer "J" hooks.
  8. Use stock hold down bar and tighten down.
  9. Drill out holes in stock battery cables to fit the bolts on new Optima Blue Top, or buy marine adapters and install on automotive lugs.
  10. Hook up battery to correct terminals.
  11. Finished.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts