Teryx HQ banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last weekend I took my Teryx deer hunting. It ran great each time we left in the morning. We drove slow for quite a while and then, when we decided to go back to camp faster, it had no power at higher throttle, it backfired and popped as if it was starving for fuel. I only have 1300 miles in the girl. Any body have a clue?

·
Registered
375 Posts
last weekend I took my Teryx deer hunting. It ran great each time we left in the morning. We drove slow for quite a while and then, when we decided to go back to camp faster, it had no power at higher throttle, it backfired and popped as if it was starving for fuel. I only have 1300 miles in the girl. Any body have a clue?
Check you plug in connections for your coils. Friend of mine had one pop off and it acted like that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
boss751

I had the same problem with the loss of power and backfiring and popping thru the freaking CV carbs. and the exhaust. Totally a lean condition. My slip on Gibson can got so hot it discolored it. I have the Dragon Fire stage 3 setup. I have the CV carbs on my 1997 Honda Blackbird and it runs like a bat out of hell. I thought about in after reading some of the blogs and decided it just can't be that complicated. I took off all the air cleaner parts so I could see the carb slides. I started it and watched the slides. I noticed the front slide was pulsating with the vacuum of the engine and the back slide was not pulsating. I took the plastic cover off the rod linkage that connects the front carb the the back carb. I turned the back screw counter clockwise till the back slide started to pulsate. It changed the idle so I turned the idle knob out a bit till the idle came down. I then noticed and mark inside the intake of the front carb down at the bottom of the slide about a quarter inch up from the bottom of the slide on the housing of the carb. I then deduced that if I cracked the throttle till the bottom of the front slide came even with the mark on the inside of the housing and then adjusted the screw on the back slide to get the back slide to the same mark and then adjusted the idle knob to set the idle. After I did all this I took it out to test it. The result is it went from all out before the change of 26 mph backfiring and loss of power to 59 mph and hitting the rev limiter. Wow! what a simple fix. If you think about it those carbs are simple. They are a pain but when they are right they work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
boss751

Yeah they don't run when fuel pump quits. All I am saying is check out the obvious stuff before spending a boat load of money on upgrades to fix problems. I would rather go to Vegas and race cool cars that very few could afford.:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem with my Polaris Scrambler. When I would go bear hunting I could cruise around for about 20-30 minutes at about 20mph but as soon as I would start opening the throttle up it started sucking gas. The fuel pump wasn't keeping up with the carb and it would run empty. I would let the quad sit for 10-15 minutes and I guess by then the carb had filled up with gas again and I could ride for another 20-30 minutes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts