Teryx HQ banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone. I am new to the forum and would appreciate some help.

I just brought home a new Tyrex and rode it around my yard for about 10 minutes. There aren't any fun hills outside my house so we haven't even begun to play with it. Anyway, the heat coming from the console on the Driver's side was pretty much unbearable. It appeared to be shooting the air out through the crack in the console. There was heat on the passenger's side but not like this. I have driven a Rhino for years and not had this sort of problem. The dealer says "there is nothing wrong, it is working perfectly". Has anyone else experienced this sort of problem?

Thanks! Would love to hear any thoughts you have.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Mountain Girl, Welcome to the HQ! If you search the forums you will find a few threads about the heat issues. It is really noticeable especially when new, as the machine breaks in and clearances wear in to spec there will be less heat generated. reports say by 30 hours there is a big difference. If you have the LE model I suggest raising the windshield about 6-8" higher and that will make a big difference.

Other things you can do is wrap the header pipes with heat wrap that will help a lot, also if you take the console apart and put heat shielding on the back of hte plastic and that will help some. Some people put a towel or jacket alongside the seats to keep the heat from coming up beside the seat. If you do that though you have to be VERY careful, it can slip down and touch the headers and catch on fire. I have read about that happening to someone already.

Hope this helps, and again welcome to the forum!

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts
There have been reports of heat, keep in mind if you are traveling slowly the motor will run hotter as airflow is reduced.

Is your fan kicking on? Do you have coolant? If you have a windshield try moving it up about six inches and see if that helps.

Also, I have heard reports of the machine running cooler after the motor has broken in some.

On a different note, welcome to the site, it is great to have you with us! :wave:

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had a lot of heat issues, was really concerned at first. Felt like it was literally burning your legs. Two things you need to do....get 30 hours on it, and remove the windshield. I have 38 hours now, and I ride almost every day in 95+ deg heat, and it is now toleratable.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The lack of cab airflow from the LE windshield is the biggest culprit. Move it higher or remove it completely for a major improvement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No other way?

I have hundreds of hours on a rhino and I didn't notice any significant heat. I bought the terex not ever thinking I would have any issues. It seems unreasonable to have to start taking pieces of and hoping that will do it. Is there any other way to solve the console heat problems where I do not have to sacrifice my windshield?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I have hundreds of hours on a rhino and I didn't notice any significant heat. I bought the terex not ever thinking I would have any issues. It seems unreasonable to have to start taking pieces of and hoping that will do it. Is there any other way to solve the console heat problems where I do not have to sacrifice my windshield?
Is yours an 2008 they seem to generate more heat because of additional insulation on 2009 and up, are you still running stock exhaust?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I remove my windshield for the summer, put it back on in fall. Seems to be the best way for me. It is way cooler in the hot weather that way.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a 2010 Teryx with a half windshield. It is cooler in the cab than my 660 Rhino was. I am not at all experiencing the same problem.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
They have deffinitelly made some improvements to the 2009 and 2010 for the heat issue from the console and its not real big differences that help, couple of more rubberr heat deflecters and a couple of other small changes, my 2009 Teryx is not as bad as my 2006 Rhino but it is neat in the winter hunting its almost like you have a heater.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone. I am new to the forum and would appreciate some help.

I just brought home a new Tyrex and rode it around my yard for about 10 minutes. There aren't any fun hills outside my house so we haven't even begun to play with it. Anyway, the heat coming from the console on the Driver's side was pretty much unbearable. It appeared to be shooting the air out through the crack in the console. There was heat on the passenger's side but not like this. I have driven a Rhino for years and not had this sort of problem. The dealer says "there is nothing wrong, it is working perfectly". Has anyone else experienced this sort of problem?

Thanks! Would love to hear any thoughts you have.
I have two 2008's They both have the heat issue. I added an insulating kit to one (from kawasaki) that is self adhesive reflective insulation that goes around the cowling (inside) around the engine. It is night and day how much cooler the one with the insulation is. I just ordered another kit for the second one. It's worth it!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi and welcome!
If you want to reduce the cab heat, engine noise and dust in the cab area contact or check out the dust shield at RydonTops.com They have the answer windshield or not. I had one on my 08 and 09 teryx and worked perfect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
First thing I did was use Header wrap.. that made a big difference.. I then raised my windsheild about 1/2" just to get a tiny bit more air flow.. Helped a lot too..

My snorkels helped a bunch too. By eliminating the belt intake from the grill in the center console, it allows more air to be drawn in and just seems to carry the heat away better.. even with shorts on, my leg is still comfy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Heat issue

I am also new to the forum.. I have had my 2009 teryx for 2 years.

Always a heat problem. I am going to try the windshield lowering.

One other issue I just ran into this weekend is my fan stays on when I turn the unit off. It ran my battery dead this weekend.

I put new battery in this weekend and with the key off the fan turned on as soon as I hooked battery up.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am also new to the forum.. I have had my 2009 teryx for 2 years.

Always a heat problem. I am going to try the windshield lowering.

One other issue I just ran into this weekend is my fan stays on when I turn the unit off. It ran my battery dead this weekend.

I put new battery in this weekend and with the key off the fan turned on as soon as I hooked battery up.

Anyone have any ideas?
It's your fan temp switch that's sticking.. Take something hard like a screw driver.. Go to drivers side of your rig. Look at top corner of the rad and you'll see a black rubber booted wire.. Tap the unit that's threaded into the rad. Works every time for me.. Saves $80 too

1 - 18 of 18 Posts