Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and big trouble

We have a 09 Teyrx (the monster model) and have been cleaning air filter every 50 hours.
We live in Northern NV and it is a wee bit dusty. I have taken it in for service every 50 hours.
We have used it alot, we hunt and use it to run our gun club.
We where never told we need to change air filter every other week, and that Kawasaki had a issue with the air filter.
So as you can guess it has seized up from dust intake.:(
the dealer has had it since the 1st week in Sept and we have been told by Kawasaki to pound sand as we did not buy extended warranty, even though they knew they had issues with the air filter.
The service manager where we bought it and it is sitting now used to work at a dealership in LV and told us he had 15-20 come in with the same trouble. So as you can see they have a big issue.
Ok sorry about long story.:mad:
And idea on cost to repair the upper and flush rest of engine?:confused:
The dealership is taking it apart.. they have told be first $3,200- $3,600 to rebuilt it or $4,200 - $4,500 for a new motor.. now they are talking $6,000 without even going into it.:(
Any ideas?
Any help with info would be great:laugh:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We have a 09 Teyrx (the monster model) and have been cleaning air filter every 50 hours.
We live in Northern NV and it is a wee bit dusty. I have taken it in for service every 50 hours.
We have used it alot, we hunt and use it to run our gun club.
We where never told we need to change air filter every other week, and that Kawasaki had a issue with the air filter.
So as you can guess it has seized up from dust intake.
the dealer has had it since the 1st week in Sept and we have been told by Kawasaki to pound sand as we did not buy extended warranty, even though they knew they had issues with the air filter.
The service manager where we bought it and it is sitting now used to work at a dealership in LV and told us he had 15-20 come in with the same trouble. So as you can see they have a big issue.
Ok sorry about long story.
And idea on cost to repair the upper and flush rest of engine?
The dealership is taking it apart.. they have told be first $3,200- $3,600 to rebuilt it or $4,200 - $4,500 for a new motor.. now they are talking $6,000 without even going into it.
Any ideas?
Any help with info would be great

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
For that money you can get a full built motor. Go with performance parts on the rebuild. Stoke bore kit or more ccs.
I clean my air filter after every weekend.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks Doug
Where do I start with that?? :confused:
Sounds like a plan but I am not a motor head :(
Any ideas on where to start who to call who is good? would be helpful
Dave

·
Registered
311 Posts
On your new motor if you clean the air filter every 50 hr,it will not be the last motor you need.Old boy on teryx forum has a benchmark 840 compleat for 3500.Very low hours. Or call big krv's performance 919-207-0010 he is straight up and does gret work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Pit Dog

I understand the changing the air filter often now.. :(
All I am/was saying was I should have been told to watch and change it.. This is the first sxs we have owned and we asked many? about upkeep maintenance and where very told anything.:mad:
thanks for help..;)
What ever I do I am going to put on aftermarket air filter system:D
Dave

·
Registered
126 Posts
From Northern Nevada also (Silver Springs) and know your dust pain.

When you get that rig going again I suggest you contact Todd at Hunterworks.com and get the billet Uni Filter system ... they really work! He would also be my choice for an engine job over that of any of our dealers in Reno or Carson. I consider them incompetent at best.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right move

Thanks Lobo

I am sending it to Hunterworks for the whole 9 yards.. Just talked with him..Will be sending it to him next week.:D
And Yes I am going with the upgraded Air filter :)
I just wish someone would have told me that from the start (Like maybe the dealer??:mad:)
Thanks again
Dave

·
Registered
126 Posts
Glad you at least gave him (Todd) a call, he has helped me before with suggestions, ideas and parts. His prices are also good!

The dealers focus on factory only stuff and selling you the unit, after the sale they don't give a rats butt what happens and normaly rip you on warranty issues. I've gotten more help off this forum then any of the dealers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Todd

I sent him a parts list from dealership and called him..
$4,350 them:mad:
1/2 that from Todd.. :D he said they had tons of things that did not need to be changed..:(
I am glad I took the time to search the web and found this forum.:wave:
Thanks for all the help
Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Rob

How do you mean putting a trap under seat? :confused:There really isn't any room?
Do you have a pic of what you mean?
Dave:wave:

·
Registered
31 Posts
tarp under seat

How do you mean putting a trap under seat? :confused:There really isn't any room?
Do you have a pic of what you mean?
Dave:wave:
What i did was take both seats out and lay a small tarp down all along the gaps and behind the air box real simple.it cut out must the dust coming up through the machine and directly into your air cleaner

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey sorry to here about your issue.
Im in Las Vegas and have 48 hours on my unit and am in the same situation. It only took 4 hours to fill my motor full of dirt. now i have the clamp on filter conversion from Hunter works. I just got off the phone with kawasaki and they told me they have never recieved any complaints about there Very Poorly designed air filter.
We need to get everybody thats had this problem and bombard them with complaints.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Hey sorry to here about your issue.
Im in Las Vegas and have 48 hours on my unit and am in the same situation. It only took 4 hours to fill my motor full of dirt. now i have the clamp on filter conversion from Hunter works. I just got off the phone with kawasaki and they told me they have never recieved any complaints about there Very Poorly designed air filter.
We need to get everybody thats had this problem and bombard them with complaints.
That would be a lie and if no complaints why did they change the 2013 model to a paper filter and why change the design totally on the T4?

Todd

·
Registered
25 Posts
You will be happy with Todd. Very honest to work with,even tore my motor down while I was there. Go ahead and do the the standered bore, I did that and it made a huge difference. Good Luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
That would be a lie and if no complaints why did they change the 2013 model to a paper filter and why change the design totally on the T4?

Todd
I agree totaly Todd. They told me yesterday it the first time they heard of it. I laughed at them and told there must be on crack. The motor in my teryx burn oil really bad. It there factory air filted FAIL that caused. After i realized the problem witch was in the first few hours i owned this thing i bought the Billet adapter from you. I know no dirt got past the filter after that!

Anyway sorry about highjackin this thread.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Search the 2 Teryx forums. There was a guy one one that ranted and raved until he got it fixed under warranty.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts