Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of some help! I have a 08 teryx, with after market cdi box and K&N air filter... other than that completely stock... I cannot get it to start! It has been gradually getting harder to start le last few trips!! To get it to start last trip I had to choke it and step on the gas to get it to start!! I have been riding from about 2500' to about 5000" and can really feel it drag and starve for air? felt like it wanted to go but half power... now back at home (2500') AND IT WILL NOT START! hAD THAT "LOAD UP" problem I read about on this site ( ripping along down the street 50+ and bogg, big cloud of white smoke, pull over sit, bog, bog, ok off I go... NEVER WOULD GO 60mph again!!) It will not start, any tips? Valve job? Probably 10 trips since "LOAD UP", feels like it has less punch after each trip,maybe... Now in low elevation, feels like something is really holding it back! (like it used to do before new CDI, WANTS TO KEEP PULLING BUT SOMETHING HOLDING IT BACK!! I cant even get it started now any advice would be greatly appreciated!! HELP I need my motorized fix and need to repair MYSELF if possible!! thanks, DAVE

·
Registered
516 Posts
No start!

If it won't start at all now then the first place I would start is to check all your connections where the carbs join the intake boots, known to pop out and could be half way out, good enough to start and bad enough to make run bad. You may also want to just plug in your stock cdi just incase it has died? - who's brand are you using? If this stuff is ok then see if you have spark then pull the spark plugs and have a look at them. I assume it has good fuel and oil/coolant levels are good. See what the plugs look like, you may be overfueling if you have not done anything to the jetting because of your elevation changes. If you have been messing around the engine, check your throttle and choke cables/connections and make sure routed properly. Just a few things I would be checking out, oh, just remembered these things have a fuel pump and a few people did have them fail, maybe no fuel...? That sure won't help things. Good luck, check it out and let us know. :wave:

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
You likely have oil blow by and need a catch can or to drop your oil a bit but still more than half on the dip stick. Common for a 750 Kawi motor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in Phoenix Az. I have a dynatek cdi... I pulled plugs, black with carbon but not bad! Should fuel filter be full when cranking over? Nothin is loose around carbs or air box, all connections seem to be snug. switched cdi back to stock, no change,wont start! Can I disconnect fuel line to see if fuel pump is good? Should it continuously flow out, like a hose, when ignition is on? Tried draining bottom of carbs, nothing would come out the lines, just the screw holes! Should I Pull plug and rest against steel to ensure spark? Any other tricks to narrow problem down? I want to avoid the dealer if I can!!! Thanks for the responses, VSQUARED :confused:

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
The fuel pump only pumps fuel when the engine is turning over.

The fuel filter should only be about half full or so.

The only way fuel will come out the bowls is to turn the drain screws over.

We do a fuel, spark and compression test here.

Pull fuel pump line loose from carb and turn it over a few times, it should pulse out slowly.

Pull a plug, put wire back on and ground the plug then turn engine over watch for spark.

Compression is most likely fine.

Todd

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanx

Hey thanks alot I will try and make sure i am getting spark... Where is here ( in Az.?) and how much is the average compresion ,fuel , spark test?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds like your valves need adjusting. I had the same starting issues as you.
I adjusted my valves myself because the dealer wants $300. Now it starts right up and runs OK. The valves need adjusting about every 90 to 100 hours.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tHANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK! i REALLY FEEL LIKE IT IS THE VALVES... NOT SURE I CAN DO MYSELF! ALTHOUGH I AM GOING TO TRY, BECAUSE I DONT HAVE 300+ TO SPEND BEFORE CHRISTMAS! THANKS, VSQUARED

·
Registered
516 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Junior, Just wanted to say thank you for your input with my problem!! I did a valve job myself (not to difficult) and my teryx started on the first crank, and idled better than it ever has... It seems to make a little more noise, like a lifter knockin in my old chevy,tic tic tic tic... Is this too loose of a valve adjustment? How do I know I have it adjusted PERFECTLY? Need dyno? Will it help? I guess what i am asking is how can I get it to run like it did the day I first stepped on it? Thanks again for the info and the link to the manual!! VSQUARED

1 - 20 of 21 Posts