Teryx HQ banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an '09 Teryx with 10 hrs. on the machine. It's in excellent condition, came with many extras including a 4,500# viper winch new in the box. I have used this machine to haul firewood and spray my yard, etc. My question is this. It seems like this machine is extremely low geared. In other words, in the 2-wheel drive high range mode the engine seems to be running at an extremely high rpm for the speed you are running. It tops out at about 52 mph and has no modifications at all. Is this normal? I've had other 4-wheelers, never a Teryx so nothing else to compare it to. Other than this concern, I love the machine. Thanks for any info on this concern.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It''s normal.... There is a rev limiter set at 8000 RMP, so it's actually not revving as high as you think.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
It is perfectly normal like jfilion it is hitting a speed and a rpm limiter but you can buy an MSD ignition from one of the venders on here (for their support) and you will gain at least 12 mph (62-64mph), talk to John at vforce (Interstate Motorsports) about a clutch mod and gain even more top end and lower the RPMs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is perfectly normal like jfilion it is hitting a speed and a rpm limiter but you can buy an MSD ignition from one of the venders on here (for their support) and you will gain at least 12 mph (62-64mph), talk to John at vforce (Interstate Motorsports) about a clutch mod and gain even more top end and lower the RPMs.
Hey, thanks for the information. Can you tell me exactlly what the MSD ignition would do in the way of increasing the speed? Wouldn't that also increase the rpm, something I'm not really wanting to do? The clutch mod might be something I could try if it increases the speed and not the rpm. This is all new to me as I've spent the last 50 years building street rods so 8,000 rpm to run 50 to 60 mph is a little hard for me to get my arm around. Thanks again for your patience.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The msd allows you to set the speed limiter and the rev limiter to whatever u want, also u can change the fuel and timing curves as well. This is for when u do exhaust, intake or other engine mods. Even if you did clutch work without the msd you wont get past the 52 mph speed limiter. You gotta remember, these arent producing nearly the horsepower of a street rod so these smaller engines perform at way higher rpm. Be warned, once you start modding these machines u cant stop. Have fun

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Like eez said these machines have a speed and rpm limiter and no mater what you do you can not go any faster reguardless of the rpm without the MSD so you can raise the speed limiter that is set at about 51mph.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like eez said these machines have a speed and rpm limiter and no mater what you do you can not go any faster reguardless of the rpm without the MSD so you can raise the speed limiter that is set at about 51mph.
Thanks for all the replys to my question. I just wish the rpm was much lower for the speed I'm running. I'm really not sure about having the ability to raise the rpm limit above what is is at present to be able to increase the speed. In truth 50+ mph is fast enough for the places I ride. I would enjoy it much more if the engine didn't sound like it was ready to explode. Everything I read points to more problems if the rpm is increased, i.e. losing oil, bearing problems, valve train problems, overheating, etc. My current project is installing the winch. I'm building a mount bracket for that. Thanks again to everyone who responded. You guys are great.

·
383 Posts
I just wish the rpm was much lower for the speed I'm running.
Change the bevel gears to brute force gears and get a overdrive cover for the primary clutch. The brute force gears are a taller gear ratio so they will rev less and a overdrive cover will bring down the RPM as well. Get an overdrive cover from hunterworks if you want to keep the KEBC (engine brake) functional or from anyone else if you don't require it. These two mods can be done for roughly the price of the MSD and if you are worried about over revving and other issues you can accomplish your goal without the MSD.

But I think you will just have to get used to the RPM and CVT system cause these things are built to rev and as long as they have oil will last along time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is accurate but you do get the lower RPM with the overdrive plate while cruising though
Thanks to tomanytoysnotnuftime and Hunterworks for the information. I don't understand what the overdrive plate does or exactlly how it lowers the rpm. That sounds like what I'm looking for though. The 52 mph top speed is probably reasonable given the type of riding I do and the tires that are on the machine. Personally I think it has plenty of power at lower speeds so any overdrive advantage that might be achived isn't going to be an issue. It would however improve the higher speed driving. Just my opinion. Guess I'll check into the overdrive plate. Any ideas as to how much it might lower the rpm percentage wise? Is it true that some of these plates retain the engine brake capabilities and some don't? Which is the better choice? Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Thanks to tomanytoysnotnuftime and Hunterworks for the information. I don't understand what the overdrive plate does or exactlly how it lowers the rpm. That sounds like what I'm looking for though. The 52 mph top speed is probably reasonable given the type of riding I do and the tires that are on the machine. Personally I think it has plenty of power at lower speeds so any overdrive advantage that might be achived isn't going to be an issue. It would however improve the higher speed driving. Just my opinion. Guess I'll check into the overdrive plate. Any ideas as to how much it might lower the rpm percentage wise? Is it true that some of these plates retain the engine brake capabilities and some don't? Which is the better choice? Thanks again for all the help.
It accomplishes this by allowing the clutch to close together further pushing the belt higher in the primary and lower in the secondary.

Our billet one is the only one with a bearing so you can go brake or not.

The stock ones that have been machined accomplish the same goal.

Difference is, your not supposed to use a stock machined one with a engine kit. Supposedly the extra power may cause it to break. Never actually heard of this but rumor has it.

How much in percentage? Not sure but it lowers RPM about 500 during cruising but no more top speed unless you do the MSD because of the factory speed limiter.

Todd

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Todd, Thanks for your reply. I'll look into the o.d. plate. I think after all the communications on this site that is what I'm looking for. Right now I'm up to my neck installing the winch that came with the machine when I purchased it. Had to build a mount for it and that is done and it is mounted. I'm now installing the wiring. I have the hood off, and a lot of the plastic inner panels off as well to run the wiring the way I want it. I mounted the winch contacter beside the battery to keep it dry and protected. So far so good. New experence for an old street rodder. Take care and thanks again for all the help and advice. Mike

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Todd, Thanks for your reply. I'll look into the o.d. plate. I think after all the communications on this site that is what I'm looking for. Right now I'm up to my neck installing the winch that came with the machine when I purchased it. Had to build a mount for it and that is done and it is mounted. I'm now installing the wiring. I have the hood off, and a lot of the plastic inner panels off as well to run the wiring the way I want it. I mounted the winch contacter beside the battery to keep it dry and protected. So far so good. New experence for an old street rodder. Take care and thanks again for all the help and advice. Mike
Your welcome to call or e-mail anytime when you need help with something whether it is something stock, something bought else where or us.

Be glad to help!!

·
383 Posts
I mounted the winch contacter beside the battery to keep it dry and protected.
A better place to mount the contactor to keep it dry and protected is up under the hood behind the dash. Real easy to do while you have the hood off. You just have to use the battery cables backwards to reach every thing. Also when it is mounted under the dash you can use it as a power source for other accessories as well, for example I have mind under the dash and use it as a power source for my power steering and rad fan ( I have a bigger rad and fan mounted in the box that is wired to factory fan wires as well as toggle switch on dash) it saves you from having to run wires to the battery all the time.

Also, I think for what you are trying to achieve the OD cover is not going to satisfy you by itself. I would try the bevel gear swap first.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts