Teryx HQ banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I were riding on our property, tight wooded trails, and clipped a tree on the passengers side. I inspected the suspension and I didn't see any problems but after cleaning all the mud and dirt off I noticed the passenger side wheel is now closer to the firewall than the drivers side wheel. I even measured and sure enough it's a few inches difference. I reinspected looking for something broke or bent but there no apparent damage to the swing arm, steering linkage or shock. Has anyone come across this? If so how did you fix it?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
My son and I were riding on our property, tight wooded trails, and clipped a tree on the passengers side. I inspected the suspension and I didn't see any problems but after cleaning all the mud and dirt off I noticed the passenger side wheel is now closer to the firewall than the drivers side wheel. I even measured and sure enough it's a few inches difference. I reinspected looking for something broke or bent but there no apparent damage to the swing arm, steering linkage or shock. Has anyone come across this? If so how did you fix it?
Look at the frame where the lower A arm is attached and see if it is bent in on the rear attachment.

Some people freak out and think they have to buy a new frame, I fixed one fairly easy with a new bracket I made.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

Look at the frame where the lower A arm is attached and see if it is bent in on the rear attachment.

Some people freak out and think they have to buy a new frame, I fixed one fairly easy with a new bracket I made.
Not only do you guys have great parts but great FREE tips. I'll check that out today and post what I find. Did you have to cut and weld the new bracket? I guessing yes but thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, checked and you were correct. Where the rear lower A Arm connects the frame caved in. Gotta love a hollow frame... WTF? OK, now to fix this I'm thinking since the bracket is welded in place I need to somehow pull the bracket out enough to cut it off, weld a steel plate on the frame and then weld the bracket to the new steel plate?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Basically that is it. I cut them off, cut a square portion out replaced with a new piece and cut some new brackets on the plasma cutter that also went over the top of the frame not just on the face to give it some strength.

After making it flat again with new piece the new bracket had hole for the bolt same distance from frame as the front bracket so it was straight.

I'm sure it was not perfect but close enough for a UTV.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Do you guys sell the replacement plates/brackets? If so how much. I can weld it in place myself.
I don't, I just made a couple for myself. I might have the drawing still somewhere. E-mail me monday at [email protected] and I will look.

Another hint, when it is time to weld them in, you take the lower A-arm bolt it in the front and thru the new brackets then push it to frame, tack weld the brackets on and then remove a-arm and weld brackets in and I only welded them on the outside of brackets on the face of the frame so the a-arm would not hit the weld inside

Todd

·
383 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts