Teryx HQ banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this yet. The Rhino guys post alot about painting with the Krylon Fusion paint. There is some prep work involved.

I for one am a little scared, but I want a flat black t-rex.

If you have done this or have the specific step by step from start to finish please post this info. I cant be the only one who thinks the red with black bed and the green on green could be improved on with some Paint.

Also the fender flairs on the bed. Can they be painted just as easy?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Jeff, I also was kicking around the idea of doing mine in flat black. Maybe adding a little airbrushing or something. I definitely want to paint the roll bar black. I've done alot of research on it and it seems to work well (the fushion paint) if you do the proper prep. I may strip it down this winter and experiment. Let me know if you hear of anyone else trying this. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
flat black

Im thinking about starting this weekend if the wife leaves me enough extra time. I have on order a black roll cage from DG rhinos and they were the best looking and the cheapest. (plug for DG's) I will get my cage in a week or so. I really want the whole unit to be flat black. I also hear it is easy enough. I can shoot spray paint pretty good. I guess If i goof it up too much Maier is coming out with all the plastic in any color you want pretty soon. Hmmm Mabye I should just wait and get all new plastic from them. They offer a carbon fiber option..... damn I might of just talked myself out of painting.

·
CommanderTalk.com
2,799 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm still unsure if I want to do it, but I think it would look awesome. The carbon fiber look would also be sweet. I have a pic of a Rhino in QUAD magazine that's all flat black. It has beadlocks, the rims are black with red rings and it looks freakin sweet. Very Mad-Max. I may start with the cage and go from there.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have a buddy who has done his rhino and it looks sharp as heck. He let his wife roll his before he started takes some of the pressure off lol.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I for one have no experience with that paint for plastic but I am sure it works well. We do have experience with painting plastic with automotive paint made for plastic. The only thing I might warn against is clear coating it. That paint probably has a flex agent in it and any particular clear coat will not therefore it will harden and then crack when you flex it.

I do have some old fenders around the shop that one day I might get a chance to try t on. Anybody live close to me can have at it or pay for the shipping and I will give you one to play with.

I don't know if there is a clear with a flex agent in it in a aerosol can or not.

My two cents.

Todd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts