Teryx HQ banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How to install a temp sending unit on your Teryx (pics)

What's up guy's?

I installed a temp gauge on my 08 teryx and thought I would show how I did mine.

If you take your engine cover off you will see your thermostat housing below the shiffter on the passenger side. If you look on the front side of the lower section of that housing, you will see a boss that looks like the same one that your factory hot light switch is threaded and screwed into. Remove the radiator hose & top of the housing (you will have a small amount of coolant loss), remove the thermostat.

Center punch the boss shown and dril out the boss. Make sure to go slow and keep yourself square so as to keep your hole in the center all the way through until you reach the inside of the housing. Tap it with a 1/8" NPT tap (check your fitting for your drill & tap size). Clean any shavings that have made it into the housing out. and install your fitting. Be sure to use thread salent on the threads of the fitting. Now just hook up your wire and run to your gauge, your done!

You can leave the housing in tact, drill your hole, (the drill bit will remove it's own shavings as you drill) put grease on your tap and this will keep most of the shavings out of the housing then you can remove the factory fitting and use compressed air and blow through both holes and clean it out that way. Easier, but not the best way but it's your machine!

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea Sleepy,
I think alot of people have. After the install, I seen that the fan kicks on at 200 degrees with that 200 degrees reading from the coolant coming straight from the heads.

·
Registered
318 Posts
i suppoose u do this to eliminate the need to buy a $25 inline fitting, correct? I found some faze gauges on e-bay cheap and wanna install a volt and temp gauge. u guys just cutting 2'' holes in your dash to mount gauges?

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Yea Sleepy,
I think alot of people have. After the install, I seen that the fan kicks on at 200 degrees with that 200 degrees reading from the coolant coming straight from the heads.
Yepp...little late in my opinion...I wired the fan to come on with a relay as soon as I turn on the key...much cooler now...

And Pa Pa? Nice write up and clean install...you get a A+ for the day...

u guys just cutting 2'' holes in your dash to mount gauges?
Pretty much...

·
Registered
318 Posts
This is how I did mine.
that looks good except for i have an 09 with speedo there, gotta mount mine somewhere else, anyone else got install pics, that utv crap cluster that goes over steering column would be sweet but cant afford to spend that kinda $$

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pit Dog, my gauges are cheap ass O' reilly's Equus brand. I have used them for a year now, plowing snow and alot of power washing and still going strong!

Yea EZZI did it this way because it's a much more professional install than something inline, That's just me, to each his own. And your right I saved $25 bucks in the process, YEEEES!

SandJunkie, Thanks, I appreciate it.

974Door Nice looking install my friend!

·
Registered
52 Posts
PAPA Dragger- Thanks.
When I installed mine, i used the spot where that sensor with the green and white wire is. It is the sensor for the dummy light on the dash. Since I put a gauge in there, I didn't need the light anymore.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Pa Pa I like that and I will for sure be doing mine that way, just glad I had not cut my hose yet, I do have the inline fitting that I will be selling now if anybody is interested, NICE job Pa Pa, just another example of how people brings ideas to the forum that helpd others, and it does not have to be one of the big time builders.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I reallly like the 3 place, aluminum ones UTV Inc and Dragonfire Racing sell for over/behind the steering wheel. I wish someone would make something like that out of thick injected plastic for about 1/4 of the price.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
974door, yea that would work too. I kept the dummy light and connected it to a flashing red LED that I will be mounting in center of the aluminum dash I made so it is right in front of my face.

BigDaddy, thanks I agree we are here to help each other out & make the best of our machines. Glad I could through in my 2 cents worth.

DougS Yea, somebody needs to buy one and ship it to Glow Shift Inc.. They would be vacuum forming them the next day. Did I say that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts