Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A minority of people are telling me they are losing top speed with our kit while their mid range and low end are much improved.

As I said this is a minority of people. The problem is I can't duplicate the problem here therefore I can't fix it.

What I need is someone who has the problem, has our carb kit and a air/fuel ratio gauge.

Does anyone out there have this combo?

I need them to do some field testing for me so we can figure out the problem.

Todd

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have your carb kit installed and I have your air/fuel setup also which I have not put in yet. I have had the same issues where my low/mid power was impoved but lost about 8 mph but I assumed it was because my jetting was off, which is why I bought the AFX. if I can help then let me know.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
WOW perplexing problem. I gained MPH on the top end when I installed your kit Todd.

I am up to a 138 and 140, exactly what you recommended from the get go.

·
Registered
193 Posts
WOW perplexing problem. I gained MPH on the top end when I installed your kit Todd.

I am up to a 138 and 140, exactly what you recommended from the get go.

Hold on....am I understanding what you posted correctly? The 138/140 is the jet sizes? my HW kit recommended 144 front and 146 in the rear.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill,

Please call me at 1-888-626-7449 and we can work thru it. Thanks!!

JC, Magellan is at a different elevation so he would need the smaller jets.

Like I said this is a minority of people, most don't have this issue and we didn't have it here which is why I can't fix it without help from someone who does have the problem and a air/fuel ratio gauge.

Todd

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Hold on....am I understanding what you posted correctly? The 138/140 is the jet sizes? my HW kit recommended 144 front and 146 in the rear.
I ride up to close to 6K feet. The HW kit calls for 140/142 for 3K to 6K and 136/138 for 6+. Todd told me the 138/140 would probably be it when I first got the kit, and I was saying he was right, that I am back where I should have stayed initially. Altitude makes a lot of difference. We ride from 417 is the lowest my GPS has registered all the way to 5K on a regular basis. Lots of fun, but makes tuning more tricky. With the HW kit, it is a lot easier, using the TPI vavles to help solve mixture issues by easily controlling the air.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ahhh...got it.

I've got a tuning issue and I'm watching threads like this on rich/lean issues.

Actually the last tune change I made which was the fuel mixture screw in 1/8 turn...has help a fair amount. I still feel it's not running freely....like there is a lot more in it, and you guys are showing that. I just don't have the $$$$ to make it run that way. It also seems not all Teryx's are equal, be it stock, or the same mods.

·
Registered
293 Posts
guess i got lucky on this one,i dont have any issues with the carb kit

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mines doing the same thing. GREAT bottom and Strong mid then it falls short on top. According to speedo it lost about 5 mph. I have the dyna nonprogrammable cdi, hunterworks jet kit and an exhaust tip. Its jetted with the stock Teryx jetting specs and has a spitting problem at steady engine rpms. Moving the valves open and close didnt change much. Please keep us posted Thanks

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rutcutter,

If you are not having the problem, it won't help us.

bduncan1231,

I really think I know the answer which is you guys need smaller jets but I hate to tell someone to go leaner without the use of a air/fuel ratio gauge so we know we are not getting too lean.

Funny thing is a lean condition sometimes gives the same symptoms a rich one does.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Mines doing the same thing. GREAT bottom and Strong mid then it falls short on top. According to speedo it lost about 5 mph. I have the dyna nonprogrammable cdi, hunterworks jet kit and an exhaust tip. Its jetted with the stock Teryx jetting specs and has a spitting problem at steady engine rpms. Moving the valves open and close didnt change much. Please keep us posted Thanks
I haven't checked top end...but all the other symptons are exactly what I've seen. The trasition area between fuel mixture screw and the needle is where a lot of the sputtering seems to be. I did improve this problem by turning the fuel mixture screw in 1/8 turn from 2 full turns out. But still feel it's falling short of where it could be.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes, it is till going on but it a minority of people. Most don't have it. I would not, NOT buy the kit because some few people need further tweaking.

Anyway, on the minority of people who have had the problem have you been able to correct it on a case by case basis? I want to order the kit, but I have a big trip coming up over Thanksgiving weekend, and I just don't want any problems - at the same time I want the kit installed and working properly in time for the trip!

However, I do appreciate Todd / Hunterworks being so upfront about the issue, too many businesses would try to hide/coverup any quirks about their products.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually, I think the customers figured it out on their own. We don't have a definate fix because there are different symptoms for different people.

Some problems we resolved were clips in the wrong slot and the washers on the wrong side of clip.

I think the sputter just above idle will need a larger pilot jet. As soon as we move over to the new building I will address this.

Todd

·
Registered
171 Posts
In order to get the carb kit working correctly, is an air/fuel gauge necessary?

--Screw it.. I'll just order it and handle anything that arises as it comes up!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well, I ordered it from you yesterday online (my anniversary gift :D), so if I have any questions, I'll be sure to get ahold of you. I watched the install video and while I am not overly technically inclined, that didn't seemall that difficult.

Also, Todd. I have a question regarding your overhead speaker bar. I've already rolled my Teryx onto its top once (I thought the dune levelled off on top... it didn't :laugh: ). If I were to roll it again and it ended upside down, would it ruin the speaker bar? I'm not talking about some hardcore flip that would crush the roll cage, more of a "gentle" roll...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts