Teryx HQ banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so reluctant to post these results and I really don't want a bunch of crap being said about it. We just installed it and we are just reporting what we got.

The vehicle is a 08 Teryx, stock carbs, our jet kit and TPI valves, Muzzy pipe, stock heads, dalton clutch kit and dalton od plate.

The kit is the Fundy standard bore kit with trail race cams and valve springs.

On our Dyno the Teryx started off at 27 HP which is on the low side compared to others. You get lots of results from different dynos around the country but this was ours.

After the kit and it all dialed it we got 52 hp which is a 93% gain which is very impressive. We normally get this percentage of gain on a Rhino with basically the same mods.

The dyno number is really irrelevant the real world performance is what counts.

We took this Teryx out and ran it against my modded race Rhino and to 60 mph the Teryx was about ten lengths ahead of the Rhino and my Rhino would be about three lengths ahead of a 09 Teryx with MSD and Muzzy pipe on it.

We got it to 71 mph on the road on a slight down grade and 68 on a flat.

I would love to install a 840 kit myself and set it up myself then dyno it myself to compare. This would be the only way anyone could convince me of anything. I expect less performance though and this is just a "opinion"

Performance aside I really just don't prefer a bore increase of any size, I really like standard bore performance kits for the price and reliability.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I am so reluctant to post these results and I really don't want a bunch of crap being said about it. We just installed it and we are just reporting what we got.

The vehicle is a 08 Teryx, stock carbs, our jet kit and TPI valves, Muzzy pipe, stock heads, dalton clutch kit and dalton od plate.

The kit is the Fundy standard bore kit with trail race cams and valve springs.

On our Dyno the Teryx started off at 27 HP which is on the low side compared to others. You get lots of results from different dynos around the country but this was ours.

After the kit and it all dialed it we got 52 hp which is a 93% gain which is very impressive. We normally get this percentage of gain on a Rhino with basically the same mods.

The dyno number is really irrelevant the real world performance is what counts.

We took this Teryx out and ran it against my modded race Rhino and to 60 mph the Teryx was about ten lengths ahead of the Rhino and my Rhino would be about three lengths ahead of a 09 Teryx with MSD and Muzzy pipe on it.

We got it to 71 mph on the road on a slight down grade and 68 on a flat.

I would love to install a 840 kit myself and set it up myself then dyno it myself to compare. This would be the only way anyone could convince me of anything. I expect less performance though and this is just a "opinion"

Performance aside I really just don't prefer a bore increase of any size, I really like standard bore performance kits for the price and reliability.

Thats average for any standard bore kawasaki v-twin... With an 840 you'd be closer to the 60's if not in and the torque out the hole would be much greater.

This your first time riding a built kawasaki v-twin? Fun huh? :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thank you Todd, for your time and effort doing the build, testing and posting.
To compair chassis dyno results. all you can look at is the percentage of gain, and even then has to be taken with a gran of salt.
Hunter works, with a bolt together std bore and all stk intake other then a couple TPI valves went from 27RWHP to 52RWHP or a 93% gain.
At the engine, the stk Teryx makes 45HP and with that kit setup the way they are makes 90-93HP which is a 100-106% gain. If they had clutched it for the dyno, they probably would have seen the 100-106% gain but then they would have to reclutch for the field to get the best performance in the rear world.

Now I'm going to use some of Dasa's numbers, because they have so much time in testing 840's. (hope you don't mind Dasa)
Thier dyno shows 36RWHP on a stock Teryx. They went from 36RWHP to 67.5RWHP with a bolt together 840 or an 87% gain.
As above with porting 36-70.6RWHP or a 95% gain
As above but with big valves, porting and big throttle bodies 36-76RWHP or a 112% gain. I'm not sure which of those were with Dasa's exhaust which they said makes 6-7RWHP over the Muzzy that Todd dynoed with.

Now back to std bore, same kit as Todd did, just bolted together but with 39FCR's dynoed on Pro Shop dyno (Dynojet same as Hunterworks)
Went from 27RWHP stk to 71.6RWHP or a 165% gain. Now that sounds like a huge gain right, should be around 95.4RWHP on Dasa's dyno right, 36 =165%=95.4?
Wrong, That kit with 39fcr's and stk heads makes 108-110HP from 45 stk or a 140% increase. Why did it show 165% increase at the RW's? The FCRS give increadable throttle response and spike the HP, same as bigger displacement does or higher compression.
They also tuned the clutching a bit for the Dyno, so that and the FCR bottom end hit shows an extra 25% RWHP that isn't really there.
So again, with CVT's, chassis dynos are great for jetting, but as I and everyone else that understands CVT's have said for years, you can't really judge performance based on RWHP with a CVT.
Thanks,
Ray

·
Registered
301 Posts
I agree you can't clutch a bike on the dyno because the loads are different especially when you factor in wind resistance but as far as HP differences vforcejohn's dyno has been pretty consistant on all the kawasaki's.

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
The testing DASA did was not on the same day and from what I was told there were problems because the dyno does not correct the numbers from day to day as far as weather.One day it was cool then they instaled the big valve heads on a day it was very hot.:confused:

Anyway the info I got on my two kits from Weller was this on my 840. 138% GAIN.

On Crowdog's std bore about 96% gain,which is about the same as we are seeing with Hunters dyno.

Run what ever numbers you want back and forth from what ever dyno you want, but when it comes to putting a 1200lb car on the track or in the dunes the 840 will stomp the std bore kit just like it says on the rear wheel dyno.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The testing DASA did was not on the same day and from what I was told there were problems because the dyno does not correct the numbers from day to day as far as weather.One day it was cool then they instaled the big valve heads on a day it was very hot.:confused:

Anyway the info I got on my two kits from Weller was this on my 840. 138% GAIN.

On Crowdog's std bore about 96% gain,which is about the same as we are seeing with Hunters dyno.

Run what ever numbers you want back and forth from what ever dyno you want, but when it comes to putting a 1200lb car on the track or in the dunes the 840 will stomp the std bore kit just like it says on the rear wheel dyno.
Your still compairing chassis dyno's to real world performance and the numbrs just don't work.
Since you meantioned Wellers dyno, we had a low compression 800 (big valve, high RPM) motor on there and it showed 64 or 65RWHP. Then had the same motor with 14:1 pistons, which still didn't work even with the big heads and lost 10HP at the motor but it made over 70RWHP.
So the pistons lost 10HP at the engines, it was slower on the track but showed 5-6 RWHP more. They also had one of your lower RPM motors on the same dyno at around 70RWHP and on the test track (acceleration mapped with a stalkerII) it wasn't even close either of the two above meantioned motors. Now not taking anything away from you, I don't even know what that motor was. I know you built it for sxs racing but it could have been stock heads I have no idea.
Like I said and you know, chassis dyno's just don't tell the full story with a CVT.
Even compairing our std bore with the 39's, went from 27-71.6RWHP 165% gain. To Dasa's 840 with the heads, valves, throttle bodies ect that went from 36-76RWHP or 112% gain. You would think that it wouldn't even be a race side by side. From those number the std bore should kill the 840 from start to finish. If you could clutch the std bore to come out at 9500RPM and stay there, yes it would but thats not so easy to do. For the most part, it would be a good race untill 40-50MPH (both with stk gearing) then the std bore would drive away hard as an 840 with 38mm T/B will make peak HP in the 8000-8500RPM rannge and fall off quick past 8500. The std bore ith carbs makes peak HP in the 9000-9500RPM and hold good power close to 11,000 RPM if your running that much rev limiter.
Ray

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
All these bolt on kits run between 70 and 74mph,the 840 just gets there quicker. Like I said talk all day about different dynos on different days in different places all you want and we will never get to the end of this.I made a offer to settle it and prove what I say is 100% true and no one wanted to do it. Now that the numbers came out and they are what I said they would be it's still not settled in some peoples heads,but that's OK because I have just sold over 400 840 kits as of last week and everyone is very happy.:wave:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Todd,
So when will these kits be on the website? Also, I have the HW overdrive plate. Will it be alright w/ this kit? Or, along w/ a clutch do i need a different OD plate? Cant wait to get my hands on one! Thanks for all the hard work Todd.

·
Registered
113 Posts
All these bolt on kits run between 70 and 74mph,the 840 just gets there quicker. Like I said talk all day about different dynos on different days in different places all you want and we will never get to the end of this.I made a offer to settle it and prove what I say is 100% true and no one wanted to do it. Now that the numbers came out and they are what I said they would be it's still not settled in some peoples heads,but that's OK because I have just sold over 400 840 kits as of last week and everyone is very happy.:wave:
Like I said, the chassis dyno numbers don't tell you anything and you know that. Also as I said, std bore and 840 bolt together, yes the 840 will usually put a half a length on the std bore for the first 50 ft or so then the std bore will take over and out run it. If it was better, we would still be making 840's LOL. I have talked to many people whom have done the same test and 99.99% of the time the result is the same. Shan on here is the only person I have found that has had different results. It was the same back in the small valve V force days when our 730's were kicking all the 800's butts time after time. There was one guy with one of our 730s that got beat by one of your 785's so does that mean the 785 in general is better, I'm going with the percentage, 99% of the time the 730 wins.
Ray

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
Like I said, the chassis dyno numbers don't tell you anything and you know that. Also as I said, std bore and 840 bolt together, yes the 840 will usually put a half a length on the std bore for the first 50 ft or so then the std bore will take over and out run it. If it was better, we would still be making 840's LOL. I have talked to many people whom have done the same test and 99.99% of the time the result is the same. Shan on here is the only person I have found that has had different results. It was the same back in the small valve V force days when our 730's were kicking all the 800's butts time after time. There was one guy with one of our 730s that got beat by one of your 785's so does that mean the 785 in general is better, I'm going with the percentage, 99% of the time the 730 wins.
Ray

99% of 5 or so people isn't very many:laugh:,when you start selling some real numbers and you have feed back on that get back to me.:wave:

Oh and Shan is Goatmanx,or Goatman as we know him.

·
Registered
255 Posts
There you go under estimating again. I got 77 mph on mine last week, and yes ray that is with stock carbs, it had more in it but i was out of road!! LOL

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
There you go under estimating again. I got 77 mph on mine last week, and yes ray that is with stock carbs, it had more in it but i was out of road!! LOL
You know I stay on the low side with all my numbers,besides you have "quick mick clean up job" on your heads so that wouldn't be fair to include you. :p

·
Registered
113 Posts
Xchamp, like I said before, top speed is determined by gearing, overdrive, rev limiter and how far you want to run it. I watched a few video's of 840's going down hill for what looked like a mile or more to get 68, LOL

Mickey we have been building the quickest and fastest Kawy V twins for years and in case you haven't seen it, one of our engines just set a new national record for a Kawy V twin. Remember that V, started off with your 916 at 82HP and ran 5.0's, then went to our 840 with our cams and we fixed the heads at 116HP and it went 4.5's on motor and 4.35 on a small shot. Now it's our 820 and just set a new record at 4.07 sec 300ft. So again, is bigger better, yes if you can feed it, we have our 1000's running 4.8's in 400ft (which is low 4's in 300ft in 4x4's) Jeremy has 1.5mm valves and 39mm carbs, just not enough for 840 so the 820 was better. If he had our big race heads, then sure he could use our 880 or 900 to 1000 kits and have more power on motor then he has now with Nos.

Now Todd took the time to post his results and I posted some other results for comparison, basically to show that you can't compare.
Now I would suggest, if you want to keep telling everyone that an 840 is the best for everything that you should start your own thread like "How things are in Mickeys world" or something like that but there are people that would like to know what actually does what so please don't ruin another of Todd's threads.
Todd I'm sorry I even posted.
Thanks,
Ray

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.