Teryx HQ banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay!!!! Here we go again!!!!! :mad: I just got my clutch back from Vjohn and spent a few days tinkering with the springs and weights. I got it figured out (I think) and put it back together. We have had todays ride scheduled for about 4 weeks (yahoo)!!! Well on the way there I am driving and I get an awful, horrible wine coming from the engine:confused:... well I start tearing it apart in my friends garage and come to find out the sound is in the clutch.:mad::mad: I pull it apart and notice that the Primary (fixed Sheave) is rubbing against the plate that sits against the motor (only 2 things can cause that... grease on the input shaft and over tightening; which I did both). I get it fixed and put it back together and we are off for I nightly ride!!!!!:D:D

Well the very 1st rock hill we come to, I get about half way up and belt light comes on (now understand this is steep and rocky) and all of a sudden SMOKE is coming out from everywhere.:confused::confused: We end up driving a little and then we are heading home and BAM, BANG, and CLANK the BELT BLEW!!!! Right in the middle of the road. Now I am really pissed!!!!

Needless to say... both of my friends drive RZR's and every time I am with them (which is the only time I ride) I have had problems. BELT PROBLEMS. They are definitely laughing their A$$'s off:laugh:. The RZR's definitely kicked my A$$ again. :confused:

I am wondering if I shouldn't of bought a RZR.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Were you in L or H when you got to the hill, and what would you estimate as your speed going up the hill before the smoke started?

I am always in Low and I was crawling up the Rock!!!! The Polaris' made it EASY.... I am just disappointed!!!!!!!

2009 Monster FOR SALE

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I'm wondering if you need a stiffer spring. How big are these rocks? Pictures?
Have you emailed vfj for a little more set up advise?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I will live and learn on the grease and over tightening, but the BELT is another issue.

I took out the small SHIM and even tried it once with the small in and the big out (to tight)... Yes, I had the belt going the right direction!!!!! I always put the belt on with the arrow pointing the right direction. So I am lost!!!!!! I have the Dalton Clutch kit Amber spring on the primary and the silver dalton on the secondary. I have 2 set screws in each fly weight with NO RIVETS!!!!! (I felt this was the best on the engagement that I was looking for).

Thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Rocks are big. It is a lot like MOAB and maybe even harder and rougher in some areas.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
It sounds to me like you need the clutch to hook-up (fully engage the belt) at a lower RPM a little less into the peak power. I crawl a lot of rocks and very steep stuff in low and I am running all three grub screws and the aluminum rivets. I think you have an 840 kit so you probably want 2 grub screws/aluminum rivets ro slightly more RPM but not sure how much, I have STD BORE. What size tires? What mods?

You are going to have to find the happy place where you get the best LAUNCH and also the best firm grip on belt before peak power. Personally I want my clutch to fully engage the belt, and I can sacrifice some drag racing ability due to I only drag in the rough and I can win with handling and suspension and stability alone, I don't need to pop tires spinning on rocks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It sounds to me like you need the clutch to hook-up (fully engage the belt) at a lower RPM a little less into the peak power. I crawl a lot of rocks and very steep stuff in low and I am running all three grub screws and the aluminum rivets. I think you have an 840 kit so you probably want 2 grub screws/aluminum rivets ro slightly more RPM but not sure how much, I have STD BORE. What size tires? What mods?

You are going to have to find the happy place where you get the best LAUNCH and also the best firm grip on belt before peak power. Personally I want my clutch to fully engage the belt, and I can sacrifice some drag racing ability due to I only drag in the rough and I can win with handling and suspension and stability alone, I don't need to pop tires spinning on rocks.
I do not have a 840 kit!!!!1 Yes, I would like it to engage quick. I tried the 3 grub screws and didn't notice much diff from 2. I am not running any rivets. I have 11x26 big horns 2.0, PDS 4 seat cage, Warn Winch, Twisted Stitch seats, and Crow seat belts...oh and a exhaust tip.

Do I want to put the almond spring in the secondary?????

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I am running Amber Primary silver secondary. Watch the Muzzy's Whisper Core video I did yesterday and you can hear the RPM my clutch engages. I am also running the Aluminum rivets in the fly weights.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is the same set up I have- Primary= Amber; Secondary = Silver; two grub screws and NO RIVETS. I don't have any rivets so I guess I could order them from Helix??????

Thanks-

Shane

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The kit should have come with both Steel and Aluminum Rivets.

I am sure you can get some more from Dalton pretty easily.

Did you see how easy and positively my clutch engages the belt at a lot lower RPM than what you are describing is happening with yours in the video?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great video! those videos are really helpfull, looks like the silent cores wont come out to easy for roudy time. I gotta tell ya i drove the 1000 prowler again the other day, and if I continue to work on this thing every ride i might have to go with the cat, that thing cranks 70 mph+ from stock! never been a cat atv fan but that thing leaves my hands shaking when i get out of it, cant wait to see all the sue happy people that had rhinos get in one of these!!! just cant believe the kawi is so hard to get to the belt! I have a buyer interested in mine for $11,000 with all the extras and i'll probably take it! Don't get me wrong, I really love it when it is running and going, I just get sick of having it take up space in my garage while i wait for parts!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts