Teryx HQ banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all it's the seal at the rear of the motor where the rear driveshaft is.
Looking through the service manual I didn't see where they say you can remove the rear driveshaft to change out the seal without taking the center boot apart. Any guidance on this would be great! I don't realy want to dissasemble the rear driveshaft.
thanks,
dave

·
Registered
375 Posts
First of all it's the seal at the rear of the motor where the rear driveshaft is.
Looking through the service manual I didn't see where they say you can remove the rear driveshaft to change out the seal without taking the center boot apart. Any guidance on this would be great! I don't realy want to dissasemble the rear driveshaft.
thanks,
dave
Simple as can be. Slide rear drive shaft boot back with your hand. You will see a snapring. Using snap ring pliers pop snap ring out of groove. This will alow you to compress rear drive shaft to pop it off its splines. Then take the four seal retainer bolts off and pop out seal and install new one :wave:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AH!! I read this a little too late Todd! LOL
I changed the SOB yesterday, not too bad. I wish I knew that I didn't realy have to pull the whole shaft out, I could have just removed the rear ds and pulled the seal. Oh well, we'll see how long this one lasts.
I was due for an oil and filter change anyway.
thanks for the help.
dave

·
Registered
167 Posts
I take it this is a pretty common problem. I've got a leak on the front and rear. They are just seeping though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have 190 hrs on my rex now, about 90 since I changed the seal and no leaks yet! It was fairly easy thanks to the great folks here!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine is just seeps a bit. I checked my oil and it has taken next to no oil at all. I will keep an eye on it though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Do yo happen to know the part number, I think it's 92049 on Babbitts web site but hate to buy the wrong one, mine needs replacing bad...thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
seal

This will be the second time I'm changing mine. Still at the dealer mind you. The second one is leaking like a sieve. Started getting worse right after a mean mudhole caused me to abuse my baby pretty bad. Not sure how this caused the seal to fail any worse than before. Any thoughts on this. Does the torque on the shaft cause this problem? I did have some seapage prior but almost immediately following things went for the worse. Is there a permanent fix for this. Has anyone spoken with Kawi on this and see what there take on this is? Anyone on here from the Kawi side?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Rear seal

135Hr. Leaking like a basket, called dealer asked if covered under ext. warranty, he says maybe-maybe not, also says not a problem-only changes 1 or 2 a year.

·
Registered
31 Posts
THANK YOU
i think i should thank you very much for you can waste lot of time to write this post .....thank you again for your sharing..

·
Registered
76 Posts
92049 92049-0095 SEAL-OIL $8.83 is the part number. Its always going to leak. Dont put a lot of effort into it.
The 2012 Brute Force will include a newdesign that replaces the seal. But you have to buy the entire half shaft @ 103$. It looks it will retrofit all years.
The front seal leaking is likely caused by continous 2wd burnouts. That one is a little harder to change.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts