Teryx HQ banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering if anybody wishes they would have bought somthing else,
Some of the problems I hear on this forum make me paranoid every time i ride it and now at 200 miles it is starting to backfire at low rpms. I realize some things need maintanance more than others but it seems like the Teryx is a constant problem waiting to happen. I just wish i could go beat on mine without having to worry that somthing is going to happen? Does anybody else feel this way about the Teryx?:mad:

·
Registered
282 Posts
nope..not at all...i have not had one problem with my rex yet and i beat the hell out of it...im even lucky enough to not even have oil in the plenum issue! ive tried to run the oil a tad low so i might have a problem (i told myself i cant do an 840 kit until the engine give up :D ) still runs like a champ!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I beat the piss outta mine just about everytime I ride it...i've had relatively few problems so far. As far as a normal 50+ miles ride a day goes i've had nothing that really ruined my day. The oil blowback thru the airbox was the first thing i encountered that worried me, but a simple kit from Hunterworks resolved that problem. My stepdad, on the other hand, has the 3rd or 4th 09 Teryx produced and hes had a few problems from it. He broke a belt (due to lack of adjustment), had a bit of a freak accident with the front end exploding, well the diff-lock side, but no one we've talked to has seen that happen with another 'rex. Knocked a few tires off the wheels, filled the engine with water, stuff that was more rider error than kawasaki error.

For comparison purposes we ride with a bunch of Rzr's and Rhinos, I've seen more problems from them than anything. Rhinos eat axles, and rzrs eat axles and belts. A friend that runs the service dept of the local Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha dealership says he sees more Rzr's in for problems than anything. I had originally wanted a Rzr from riding with several and seeing how they out performed the rhinos and such...but after riding with them more and more and seeing they were a constant problem I opted for the Teryx; I also couldnt buy a used Rzr that wasnt beat to hell and back for what I paid for the Teryx.

I'm running an 08 stock other than Seats, Wheels, and Tires...I've broken 1 axle on the front but I was pulling HARD in reverse with Diff lock engaged and against another dead teryx that had backed off into a hole in a Creek. I also broke 2 winch cables and a 3" strap that day trying to get the thing outta the hole, but it finally came out and I had to tow it back to the truck on 3 wheel drive. And the other teryx was dead from backing into the hole in the creek and filling the engine up with water...so again, rider error.

As far as performance, I couldnt be happier for a stock machine to perform the way mine does. I'm chomping at the bit to throw some performance parts on it and see what it'll really do. Same goes for Reliability. I've never had a problem with it starting or pulling or anything that would make me question riding it. *Knock on wood*

Apologize for the long winded post, just trying to be as informative as I can with my experiences with these things...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have 1,000 hard miles on mine with nothing other than needing to adjust the belt and a few oil changes, my freinds with rhino's wish they had bought teryx's. I just wish I had F.I.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Nope , I am completely satisfied with mine.. I have nearly 800 miles on mine and I am one of the few that am glad I dont have EFI :p I do have an 840 so I am still in shock by the diffrence. But my bike has been rode hard and do I ever mean that.. Other than performance mods and routine oil changes the only thing I have done has put brakes all around. My friend owned a RZR and was so impressed with the Teyx and so tired of his RZR breaking he sold his RZR and purchased a Teryx.

·
Registered
189 Posts
hell no, the only thing i regret is finding this site and seeing al the shit u can buy for them. all i think about is either the std bore kit or the 840kit. Which i really shouldn't do any cause i wrecked doing 20mph and again doing 40mph. Those tree's don't move outta nobodys way.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I tell you man if I had any concern about it I have none now after listing to all of my forum buddies for the last year, I have a 2006 Rhino and now I have 2009 Teryx also after working on both from front to back the Rhino is a good machine but you can tell that the Teryx was patterned off of the Rhino but in every aspect the Teryx is just more machine period and I have held mine flat to the floor for 4 - 5 miles at a time several times, don,t worry about the Teryx it is as tough as any side by side, you can't enjoy anything if you worry all the time, put the pedal to the floor and give her hell.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Nope , I am completely satisfied with mine.. I have nearly 800 miles on mine and I am one of the few that am glad I dont have EFI :p I do have an 840 so I am still in shock by the diffrence. But my bike has been rode hard and do I ever mean that.. Other than performance mods and routine oil changes the only thing I have done has put brakes all around. My friend owned a RZR and was so impressed with the Teyx and so tired of his RZR breaking he sold his RZR and purchased a Teryx.
Mt thoughts exactly...:D

·
Registered
45 Posts
No regrets and I drive mine harder than most. I havent had anything break yet that was not operator error. Come to think of it nothing has broke other than cosmetic plastic stuff from crashing. I jump mine alot, Iv'e rolled mine multiple times, I Dune, I rock crawl, I trail ride, and ride in open desert. I have had my foot to the floor for 20 minutes straight in the dunes and not a single issue.

I've also unstuck S10 blazer that was buried in the sand to the frame. I've towed quads thru the dunes. I've been towed on three wheels and a bare rim by SandJunkie in the dunes. His with an 840 is sweet. Any side by side that makes it up China Wall in glamis has my respect.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Some of the problems I hear on this forum make me paranoid every time i ride it and now at 200 miles it is starting to backfire at low rpms. I realize some things need maintanance more than others but it seems like the Teryx is a constant problem waiting to happen. I just wish i could go beat on mine without having to worry that somthing is going to happen? Does anybody else feel this way about the Teryx?:mad:
Do the maintenance. It sounds like your jetting is off.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I owned a 07 660 Rhino for the last 3 years and did alot of looking before i bought this 2010 Teryx. Tough decision because i really still liked my Rhino and had gotten great service out of it through the 2000 miles of trail riding i put on it. I have researched all the machines and have friends i ride with that own all that are out there. With all the looking i did, i always seemed to come back to the Teryx. Even though it seems that they are the least popular sport/utility model out there. That i still cant figure out, because in my mind they are definately the best overall value. All you have to do is look at the size of the A-arms, tie rods, driveshafts, all the frame gusseting, and how the diff mounting is secured to know that this is the most heavy duty built machine on the market. It is a great foundation for modification. I definately see a motor mod in my future.

I've had mine a month and a half now and have put 150 miles on it. I am very happy i bought a Teryx. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do the maintenance. It sounds like your jetting is off.
If my jetting was off woudlnt it have done this since new, why would it start now? I do feel better after hearing the positive feedback. I do not know anybody who owns a teryx in my area, Everybody around here runs rhinos so I went out on a limb buying this and i guess i just havent built up the confidence in it yet. Thanks for all the replies!!!!:)

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
If my jetting was off woudlnt it have done this since new, why would it start now? I do feel better after hearing the positive feedback. I do not know anybody who owns a teryx in my area, Everybody around here runs rhinos so I went out on a limb buying this and i guess i just havent built up the confidence in it yet. Thanks for all the replies!!!!:)
Altitude, temperature, amount of air (filter clean), carb boots popped off could all affect your carbs and back firing. If you have FI some of these issues will be eliminated. I see you have an 2010 after the post. Any after market parts? Warranty issue?

·
Registered
29 Posts
i beat mine to death, literally. 1200 miles and lost the motor, i had an airbox issue. i had my 09 to the floor from the minute we got it. long dune rides and long desert rides. i bet it would still be running right now if i didnt have an air box malfunction. its just an excuse to go big bore. i wouldnt buy anything else.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i beat mine to death, literally. 1200 miles and lost the motor, i had an airbox issue. i had my 09 to the floor from the minute we got it. long dune rides and long desert rides. i bet it would still be running right now if i didnt have an air box malfunction. its just an excuse to go big bore. i wouldnt buy anything else.
Hi neighbor, just wondering was your air box issue becuase of the way the plenums dont tighten down. I installed the UTV Crap plenum rings to prevent it from leaking before it could be a problem. Im wondering if it was money well spent. :wave:

·
Registered
68 Posts
still happy with my decision to go with my t rex
I might run mine to hard we replaced the rear seal 3 times. Otherwise no problem the best buy in the market. Just wish we had more power, like 85 Hp.

·
Registered
668 Posts
You should've opted for a wheel chair, probably not blowing the carbon out enough, now you're backfiring. :p j/k
Seriously though, no problems here. Over 2,000 miles on my 840 BBK and 3,260 miles on the machine. Most of the locals around here can't believe I ain't gone and got kilt on the Teryx yet, if that's any indicatation of how I drive it. Only problems I have encountered are the ones I've brought on myself. And I don't regret the T-rex now for one moment.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I think you have got your answer, only place you will find very much negtive feedback on the teryx is on a Polaris or yamaha forum and they are just upset because they didn't buy one and don't want to admit a mistake, I have my 2006 Rhino and its a junior version of my Teryx. I am the kind of person that if I didn't like it no one would be louder than me. I will watch the Can Am when it comes out and after a year or so to get the bugs out I might sell my Rhino a buy a Can Am on paper it seems to be a good machine but only time will tell how it stacks up beside the Teryx but don't kook for Kawasaki to set on their but and hand the title over to Can Am, Kawi has a great base to improve on.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts